For those with Tattoo's (or those who are tattoo artists)

SisterSueGetsFit
SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,212 Member
I don't normally post in the chit chat forum because they can sometimes be a bit silly, but I'm not getting help or advice elsewhere... So I'm taking a chance that people are going to be nice and give me honest opinions.

I just moved to a new state so I am seeking out lots of new things; doctors, dentists, hair dressers... And tattoo artists. I had what I thought was a productive meeting with an artist last Saturday. I read a lot of reviews on the place and of his work. All of them are exceptional,. without fail

I explained what I was looking for and set an appointment for this coming Saturday. He told me he would get me a sketch of my idea by Monday "at the latest." (His words, not mine) Well, Monday came and went with no email. I reached out Tuesday afternoon and he said he'd been busy, but would have something to me that evening. Nothing. Yesterday I sent an email with one more idea I wanted him to sketch up. As of this morning I've heard nothing from him.

At this point, I'm concerned with his lack of professionalism in responding to me. I gave him a deposit (albeit only $20). I no longer feel comfortable letting this guy put permeant ink on my skin when he can't even be bothered to get back to me. Here are a few of my concerns:

1. I want my money back. I know it's not much, but it's mine and he did nothing to earn it. I wouldn't actually go pick it up, but I'd probably ask the owner to donate it to the local food-shelf.
2. He's a new artist at this shop. Everything I've read online leads me to believe this is a reputable place, which is why I went there in the first place. Should I email the owner?
3. I'm tempted to write a bad review on Google, but don't want to seem petty.
4. If I do reach out to the owner, can I request someone else at the shop do my tattoo or will this just cause issues? I don't want anyone "taking it out on me" with a needle and ink.
5. Is reaching out to him again a waste of time? I just don't feel like I should have to. Do I not bother showing up for my appointment Saturday?

I'm also frustrated because I've arranged my schedule to make time for this and I was looking forward to it. I would appreciate advice from an outside perspective. Thanks!

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    silly_potato_by_luizhd-d5x9w6u.png
  • pudgy1977
    pudgy1977 Posts: 13,499 Member
    I don't normally post in the chit chat forum because they can sometimes be a bit silly, but I'm not getting help or advice elsewhere... So I'm taking a chance that people are going to be nice and give me honest opinions.

I just moved to a new state so I am seeking out lots of new things; doctors, dentists, hair dressers... And tattoo artists. I had what I thought was a productive meeting with an artist last Saturday. I read a lot of reviews on the place and of his work. All of them are exceptional,. without fail

I explained what I was looking for and set an appointment for this coming Saturday. He told me he would get me a sketch of my idea by Monday "at the latest." (His words, not mine) Well, Monday came and went with no email. I reached out Tuesday afternoon and he said he'd been busy, but would have something to me that evening. Nothing. Yesterday I sent an email with one more idea I wanted him to sketch up. As of this morning I've heard nothing from him.

At this point, I'm concerned with his lack of professionalism in responding to me. I gave him a deposit (albeit only $20). I no longer feel comfortable letting this guy put permeant ink on my skin when he can't even be bothered to get back to me. Here are a few of my concerns:

1. I want my money back. I know it's not much, but it's mine and he did nothing to earn it. I wouldn't actually go pick it up, but I'd probably ask the owner to donate it to the local food-shelf.
    2. He's a new artist at this shop. Everything I've read online leads me to believe this is a reputable place, which is why I went there in the first place. Should I email the owner?
    3. I'm tempted to write a bad review on Google, but don't want to seem petty.
    4. If I do reach out to the owner, can I request someone else at the shop do my tattoo or will this just cause issues? I don't want anyone "taking it out on me" with a needle and ink.
    5. Is reaching out to him again a waste of time? I just don't feel like I should have to. Do I not bother showing up for my appointment Saturday?

I'm also frustrated because I've arranged my schedule to make time for this and I was looking forward to it. I would appreciate advice from an outside perspective. Thanks!

Well if you are uncomfortable...I wouldn't do it. End of conversation. That being said...I wouldn't be surprised if most Tattoo artists are maybe not what one would call "professional" They run a different schedule and life style than most, so what 9-5ers consider normal business behaviors, maybe isn't the same as theirs. Can you possibly stop in the shop today, and just ask in person?
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    For the most part, anyone who is artistic is not going to be on time or be bound by any schedule. Their brains don't work that way.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Well if you are uncomfortable...I wouldn't do it. End of conversation. That being said...I wouldn't be surprised if most Tattoo artists are maybe not what one would call "professional" They run a different schedule and life style than most, so what 9-5ers consider normal business behaviors, maybe isn't the same as theirs. Can you possibly stop in the shop today, and just ask in person? [/quote]

I have thought about stopping in. I might just wait until tomorrow. It' not really out of my way to get home. Another point of frustration is they are supposed to be "professional." There are plenty of unprofessional places out there which is why I picked this one. I'm just super irritated I guess. And you're probably right; If I'm uncomfortable, I should probably skip it.

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    As the mother of a tattoo artist I have a couple answers for you. I would contact the owner of the shop first and ask them what's up with the "new" artist and explain your situation to them. I wouldn't leave a bad review until you have at least had a chance to find out why things have happened the way they have. Maybe your artist is no longer there or had some extenuating circumstances that prevented him contacting you (stuff happens). By all means you can request someone else do the tattoo and if he hasn't done any work on your design ask for a refund. My daughter always has a consult with a prospective client, in person. That way there is no question about what you want, what it's going to cost, and the time frame for it to happen. As far as professionalism, tattoo artists are an interesting bunch and run the full spectrum. The key is finding someone you are comfortable with and that may take some time on your part to find a good fit. Another suggestion, book yourself a plane ticket to Montana and I can guarantee you an awesome tattoo experience! ;)
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    _MistahJ_ wrote: »
    While frustrating, if his work is good and the reviews you've seen are positive, I wouldn't let this stop me from getting tattooed as planned. My last artist was a tremendous flake when it came to communicating. But she was an exceptional artist and in the end, that was what mattered most to me. Also, my experience has been that artists never email or text their drawing to you as they don't want you taking it and going somewhere else with their work. I have always seen the sketch the day of my appointment and either been happy with it or had them make changes while I waited.

This makes quite a bit of sense. If he hadn't of told me he send me a sketch, I would view it differently. I would have been happy to stop back in the shop anytime this week. I appreciate your response.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    For the most part, anyone who is artistic is not going to be on time or be bound by any schedule. Their brains don't work that way.

I heard about a guy who thought it was "unpoetic" to start moving again just because a light turned green. He was the first person in his family to have a problem with this.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Go elsewhere and say bye bye to your $20. Keep in mind that a lot of artists will be less motivated to spend their time on a small piece that doesn't make them a decent amount of money. Not saying it's right, it's just true.

I spend an unreasonable amount of time researching the person I will trust to work on me.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    My artist probably hasn't thought about my tattoo that I'm getting done later today in the months we have been planning it.....he will sketch it up right before and knock it out.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    Advice : Don't message him, pick up the phone or go there to see him. Can you imagine the messages he gets on a daily basis. Tattoo artists gets emails and messages all the time asking can you do this? Can you do that? How much for this? It can get quiet annoying for them. You are not his only customer and not the only sketch he has to work on. I've never seen my tattoos before I actually went in for my appointments and if I wanted to ask him something I went to see him. If the place has good reviews why go write a bad one because you didn't get what you wanted in time?!
    MrSith wrote: »
    My artist probably hasn't thought about my tattoo that I'm getting done later today in the months we have been planning it.....he will sketch it up right before and knock it out.

I completely understand where both of you are coming from and even tend to agree that the number of emails and questions they get is likely overwhelming. Had he not given me his email address and told me he'd have something to me by a specific date I wouldn't care. HE set the expectation, not me. If he wanted to change the expectation he could easily have let me know. Anyway, I've likely answered my own questions about whether or not to use this guy.

I won't write a bad review, because it's just not worth my time and I'm sure he's good at what he does. I would use or recommend them though.
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    It sounds like you have made up your mind already. You may have just been asking us for confirmation on whether or not you would be justified in cancelling. The way I look at tattoos and who I get them from is, they will be permanently on my skin and I have to live with them forever. So if I don't feel comfortable with an artist or a sketch I don't get the tattoo from them. I would rather be out $40 for their time to draw it up, than out a couple hundred and walking around with a cruddy piece of scratch.
    Not every shop is top shelf. The shop I went to in Juneau had a sign that said "Pick one good or cheap. A good tattoo ain't cheap & a cheap tattoo won't be good. We do good, the parlor down the street does cheap." The parlor down the street went out of business & the shop with the sign is by appointment only most of the year.
    Sometimes new artists don't have the experience to manage all their clients like a more seasoned artist might. Go in and see if his design blows you away. I knew an artist who was a total flake, but he was one of the best "new school" artists I've ever seen. My buddy got a half sleeve from him, he drew the sketch & had his station all set up in an hour while we grabbed lunch. Like someone above said, this guy didn't like people to see his work via email, you got what he showed you or he shredded it. He got mad if someone took a picture of his wall flash and he never drew for free.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'd definitely go see him and see if he has a sketch of it
    Tough situation
    Go with your gut

this is what I would do. if he doesn't have it done request a different artist. it's his loss
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    If he's good don't worry.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member

This.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Well ...

A tattooer is not paid for the time to draw up anything, so IMO they are well entitled to keep your pidly deposit in the event you cancel.

For what it’s worth, my tattooist expects a non refundable $100 deposit. I’ve been seeing her for many years so she doesn’t charge me these days, but still. The fact the deposit is only $20 is a bit of a red flag for me.

On the flip side, if your gut insinct is that you’re not happy with the poor customer service (for which there may well be an explanation) don’t go ahead with this tattooist.

Also, fair enough if you want to change artists for whatever reason, but if you stuff this guy around then try and get work from someone else in the shop they will probably deem you to be a ‘tyre kicker’ wasting their time.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    MrSith wrote: »

Same same and then I’ll let her tweak it to what works best.