C section

Options
I lose 60 pounds before I became pregnant and now I have 30 pounds to lose again previously I lifted weights and did insanity to lose all my weight but now I’m afraid to because of the c section so ladies who got a c section how long did u wait to exercise and then to lift weight dead lifts and weighted squats is what I’m most worried about and clears

Replies

• jcstevens86
    jcstevens86 Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I honestly feel that is a question you should ask a medical professional
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Definitely ask your doctor. I think I waited 6 weeks before I went back to the gym.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think they recommend AT LEAST 12 weeks, that's what I was told. Personally I waited longer than that to start exercising - being a new mum is tough enough and tiring enough, and my section scar didn't heal well. The honest answer if you're desperate to start lifting asap... ask a doctor to declare you fit for it. But I would leave off for a good while certainly for any strenuous core exercises and you'll only delay your healing... do light cardio exercise by taking out your baby for long walks in the pram as soon as you are physically able. Hope that helps x
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 244 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I had two C-sections. After the first one I did low cardio like walking straightaway, like the following morning, I then waited 6 weeks before doing moderate cardio ( cycling for me at the time) and 3 months before going back to normal.
    After the second one I did the same but waited almost 6months before excercising at full fling. The recovery the second time was so much slower.

You can do anything that doesn't engage your core from the gun like biceps curls, etc.

My advice : wait until you're healed, no sutures left, then progressively reintroduce things, cardio first as cardio will help you loose the weight but also increase blood flow which speeds up recovery and then do weights. No point in starting too early and cause damage to yourself.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I lose 60 pounds before I became pregnant and now I have 30 pounds to lose again previously I lifted weights and did insanity to lose all my weight but now I’m afraid to because of the c section so ladies who got a c section how long did u wait to exercise and then to lift weight dead lifts and weighted squats is what I’m most worried about and clears

uhhh, 20 years... :#
  • torrielewis1991
    torrielewis1991 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have asked my doctor she beat around the bush I’ve started walking around the block it’s just cold outside and I hate that I had my baby 2 weeks ago I want to start running next but figured I’d wait til week 6
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    After your doctor clears you for exercise 6 weeks postpartum, you can start with light exercise. Running, heavy weights and some ab exercises are not considered light so you have to be patient during the healing process.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Speak with your doctor about this at your follow-up appointment (usually 8 weeks after birth for a c-section). I had 3 c-sections within 3 years and had complications with the 1st due to doing too much too early. Focus on your food intake (eating extra if you're breastfeeding), walking and most importantly that new little baby. :) 8wks will go by fast with a newborn so take it easy while your body heals.
  • Ardael
    Ardael Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Try cycling if you want but limit impact sports. Also make sure you keep your scar dry from sweat
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor and make sure you specifically talk about the lifts you are concerned about. You are recovering from a c-section and from pregnancy and if you had trial of labor, from labor as well. YOU JUST HAD A BABY!!! Chill out and enjoy for a few weeks.