Question for Elliptical users

Options
I try and use the elliptical at my gym for 45 min.

I don't enter my weight into it, and after the 45 min. its says I've burned about 500 calories. However, when I get home and enter it into the MFP exercise counter, its says 45 min. burns 700+ calories. I understand that MFP has my weight in the website, but then again, it is not able to calculate my speed/resistance.

Which do you think is more accurate? If it helps, I weight 233 lbs. and usually set the elliptical resistance at 7 with an incline of 5 I think (which is not very much).

Replies

• kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Use the MFP calculations, but I probably wouldn't eat back all those calories...IMHO
  • Sirskot00
    Sirskot00 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Had the same thing happen. I had manualy changed the amount of calories burned to match to total from the Gym. not sure which is right but im going with the lesser amount to be safe.
  • pursuitOFhappiness11
    Options
    Thanks. And I will most def. not eat back all of those calories. I worked too hard to get rid of them to blow it all on a bag of chips and dip! =]
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree,

the machine is wrong and MFP is likely even more wrong

750 in 45 mins is a pretty major burn - for me at 175 lbs, I have to run at a 7:30 per mile pace for 45 minutes - that take some serious effort
  • dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I totally disagree,

the machine is wrong and MFP is likely even more wrong

750 in 45 mins is a pretty major burn - for me at 175 lbs, I have to run at a 7:30 per mile pace for 45 minutes - that take some serious effort

Agreed. I'm 115 pounds and burn about 375 calories in 45 min on the elleptical per my HRM.