Best Additions to Protein Shakes?

Options
Hi everyone,

What are some of your favorite things to add to your protein shake to boost total protein?

Personally I mix mine with 1 cup of 2% milk and 2 tbsp of peanut butter. That bring my total to 50 gms of protein. On occasion I will add steel cut oats (1/3 cup) and that adds another 6 gms of protein.

Let's hear it and remember to add me as a motivator and virtual workout buddy.

Jaime

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Berries and banana.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but I hear using peanut powder (like PB2) instead of full-blown peanut butter is a great add-in.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Generally just unsweetened almond milk, a banana, sometimes some nut butter.
    I also have some superfood green powder stuff for when I feel like I need to be more virtuous...
    And I'm using up some BCAAs I tried when I used to do fasted HIIT in the morning (yeah, no...) so occasionally they get chucked in, which boosts the protein a bit.

Often I just put in a bit more than a scoop of protein - so 30g instead of 25g.

I don't know if science has got round to proving it in either direction, but I try and split my protein through the day, which means I don't need much more than 20-30g in any meal or snack.
  • caitlanbassett
    caitlanbassett Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, frozen berries, avocados, frozen spinach!!
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana makes it really creamy. Surprised by the texture dsifference as compared to fresh banana.
    I round it out with frozen blueberries, stevia, kale powder, pea protein powder, hemp protein powder and cashew milk.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I like adding some PB2 peanut butter powder. It thickens up the shake, which is especially nice if you make your shakes with water instead of milk.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Peanut flour and spinach.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Almond milk,coffee and ice it's like a frappuccino
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I usually use soft or silken tofu if i want more protein
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    2 scoops instead of 1?
    I don't do protein shakes though. Blergh.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    1) More protein powder.
    2) Fairlife nonfat milk.
    3) Sometimes a bit of PB2 powder (depending on the shake flavor).

Peanut butter tastes great, is very calorie dense and a great source of fat, but it's not a good source of protein.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Do you need more protein than a shake?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I make a double shake of 2 measures of Myprotein powder with 2 cups of soy milk and a small banana. Adds up to 55g of protein in 490 cals.

I've got some leftover PB2 powder that I need to get rid of and if I add 2tbsps to the shake it would yield 60g protein in 535 cals instead.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking my protein. I find I'm more satiated if I'm eating my meals. I add extra egg whites to my morning eggs and have 4-5 oz of meat in my lunch and dinner. I get 75-120g protein a day.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Pineapple chunks and blueberries
  • Katherinelittle24
    Katherinelittle24 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Well I am actually on this weight loss program right now and shakes are a big part of the program. I decided to experiment with my shakes and so far, I really love mixing in my vanilla shake with nothing but water, ice and PB2 (Peanut Butter Powder). It kind of taste like a Butterfinger. Pretty amazing, you should really tried it. Plus PB2 I hear is more healthier than just regular peanut butter and to me, it's more filling when I mix it in with my shake.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    SF pudding mix or instant coffee granules are a great way to switch up the flavor.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    A carton of pasteurized egg whites. Trust me.