bathroom scales - which is best make.?

Options
Hi, just wonder what you opinions were on the best scales on the market at the mo. Ive being weighing myself on my scales which ive had for years and years, and even though they say ive lost almost a stone in weight they arent that reliable ( i should have brought new ones at the start of MFP)
I jumped on a friends scales today and they are telling me that im almost a 7lbs ligher than what mine are telling me. So now im confuzzed.
So ive decided to go out and buy some new scales- so would love your suggestions.

Lost 13lb in 4 weeks. ( i think lol )

Replies

• SHERRYnGA
    SHERRYnGA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'VE BEEN SEARCHING FOR "SCALES" MYSELF... SO I'M GLAD YOU POSTED!
  • hunni70
    hunni70 Posts: 57
    Options
    i asked the same question about a week ago lol alot of the mfp's said weightwatchers then i scrolled down for reviews and found that weightwatcher 4 in 1 analysers were consistant with readings as my old ones were giving lots of different readings tried to get some but they were all out of stock so bought my second choice which were salter analyser ones they had good reviews too and were consistant with their readings too! good luck on your search for new scales i would have bought the ww 4 in 1 scales but i wasn't patient enough to wait for them to be back in stock but now i'm happy with my salter ones! :smile:
  • shabydonner
    shabydonner Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I have a digital that I bought a couple of years ago because our old fashion one didn't go up high enough :( but now I'm losing faith in this one as it seems to weigh completely different depending on where you stand on it. I think the weight mechanism is at the top so the closer I stand to the top the heavier it weighs me and the lower I stand the lower it weighs. I can't be sure I'm hitting the exact same place every time so I have gotten really frustrated with it. I have about decided scales are just like thermometers, you don't know which one is right when you get three different readings on three different ones. I guess you just have to pick one and make sure that you use the same one every time. If someone does know of a good one that is actually reliable I would love to know as well.
  • KayaSamantha
    KayaSamantha Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Taylor scale and LOVE it! It is only 1.2lbs more than my dr's scale and super easy.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Consumer Reports says the Taylor is #1. The model is #7506, it's gonna set you back $23 at Walmart or Target.
    Glass base, chrome feet, lithium battery and large LCD display.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/beauty-personal-care/scales/scale-ratings/models/overview/taylor-7506-99026146.htm

7506-large.jpg
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers brand one that I'm satisfied with. And my parents have a Health-O-Meter. I didn't exactly do tons of (or any) research when I bought mine, but it seems pretty reliable.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/home-garden/beauty-personal-care/scales/scale-buying-advice/scale-getting-started/scale-getting-started.htm
    You can't see the specific ratings if you don't subscribe to Consumer Reports, so I don't know what brands they recommend specifically, but it seems like they recommend going digital and shopping around for any special features you're interested in.
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the weight watchers scale model# WW87 at bed bath & beyond(used 20% coupon) and it's great! It was the same as my doctor's scale where my other one was off by 2-3lbs.
  • RoosterB
    RoosterB Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have WW analyser and basic Salter glass topped ones and they both give the same weight reading if that's any help. Believe me I compared them today as I'm approaching my first weekly weigh in and am beginning to worry.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    my scales are from Taylor. i pretty happy with them. its digital..glass top... so i dont need to be guessing what the weight it.

You can also set your height, age and so on and it will work out your BMI...

i also have a kitchen scale from them too.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I love my digital Salter body analyser scales.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I love my digital Salter body analyser scales.
  • erat22
    erat22 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    brilliant , thanks for all your replies. At least i know what types seem to be working and are reliable, Think i need to go shopping when mr bank manager says im allowed some money at the weekend. lol
    Hopefully i will have some good news and i'll be lighter than i think i am. x
  • linnea213
    linnea213 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I recently bought the weight watchers scale model# WW87 at bed bath & beyond(used 20% coupon) and it's great! It was the same as my doctor's scale where my other one was off by 2-3lbs.

I forgot to mention it-
    Measures body water, body fat, bone mass and BMI for 4 users
  • PenTool
    PenTool Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the Tanita BC-533 Body Composition Scale. It costs about $80 @ Amazon. I like to have as much information as possible as weight alone doesn't tell you much. For example, if you're working out and dieting a "weight only" scale may show you not losing weight even though you are losing body fat and/or gaining muscle mass.

This has happened to me a couple of times so far and the Tanita scale has shown changes in body fat/muscle mass while the weight has remained the same. The dreaded "plateau" may not be anything but a change in composition that isn't reflected on a regular scale. This scale is definitely worth the price! I would highly recommend it. It also saves settings for up to 4 users plus "Guest" mode.

It's very accurate in weight and gives you several other readings, including:
    - Body Weight
    - Body Fat %
    - Muscle Mass
    - Bone Mass
    - Body Water %
    - Viseral Fat % (fat around the organs)
    - Daily Caloric Intake

Tanita BC533 Innerscan Composition Monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/Tanita-BC533-Innerscan-Composition-Monitor/dp/B0007Y6BS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312413182&sr=8-1