Plateau blues

Options
Any words of advice for coping with a weight loss plateau? I have been so disciplined since the end of August and have lost 28 lbs. I started at 285lbs. I know the scale is only one metric by which we gauge our success but it is so demoralizing to not see it move for over 2 weeks. I take that back; it did drop 1.2 lbs in 2 weeks. ( I only weigh every 2 weeks because I get obsessed otherwise.). Have you hit a plateau before? How long until you started to see the scale move?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    A plateau is defined as at least 4-6 weeks with zero movement on the scales, so you’re not in one. If you’re weighing every two weeks you could have had a higher loss that was masked by water retention. Weight loss isn’t linear.
  • v35fulmer
    v35fulmer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    It's working. You aren't going to lose at that initial rate for long. Don't let your own brain do you in.

Failure to recognize and credit success is a regular problem here.
  • v35fulmer
    Options
    Ok thank you.
  • ChelleDee07
    ChelleDee07 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    If you don't see a shift before long, you may want to change up your exercise routine. For example, if you tend to walk on a treadmill... maybe walk at a slower speed but increase your incline. If you do the same routine day in and day out.. your body becomes accustomed to that. Make sure you are pushing your water too. I am currently in maintenance after losing more than 100 lbs this year, but I did experience a period of 18 days where I had no change. It is frustrating and it can be discouraging... but stay the course and push onward. It will shift! I promise you it will.
  • radhasurapaneni206
    Options
    Even I'm facing same problem pls help me
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I’ve gone as long as 4-5 months stuck going up and down with the same 4lb. I just stayed the course and am now at a healthy bmi again
  • v35fulmer
    Options
    Thanks so much. It helps to know that this is normal.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I've been on a plateau for months and I'm going to keep at it. Two weeks is really nothing to fret about. Good luck
  • suzettedees
    suzettedees Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I’ve gone as long as 4-5 months stuck going up and down with the same 4lb. I just stayed the course and am now at a healthy bmi again

I’m in the same boat. Have lost 6 pounds in 5 months. I’m down a pant size though
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    28 lbs since the END of August? That's what, 10-14 pounds a month? That's AMAZING! Be proud of yourself and recognize how far you've come!