Looking for your thoughts on this!!

Options
I did not know where else to post this. I WANT to quit smoking. Every time I try - i fail. Cold turkey, patch, gum, vape you name it I have tried it except...Chantix!
With other methods I get to the third day fine...then i crash and burn! Chantix...because of the issues people had when it first came out has me scared as hell!! I work with children..ALONE for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. I have no diagnosed mental conditions...unless you ask my husband he will tell you I have multiple personalities lol My health is over all good -

For those that have used it.....what is your out take on it..the good, bad and ugly!!! I have a Dr appt today and I think I am going to ask for it.

Thank you!!

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My ex tried it few years ago, it was helpful, but she couldn't deal with the vivid dreams. It got to the point that she quit Chantix but couldn't kick the habit.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Smoker for 20 years and I've recently quit with a vape I tried a few years ago vaping and failed, (also done patches gum etc) this time however I set a date gave it another shot and have been vaping instead of smoking for a month... and it's really not been too bad, even with work stress and my Dad being admitted to hospital, not a single smoke.

Sorry I can't help with the meds, but just wanted to say my second attempt with a decent vape kit and liquid and being super prepared with the knowledge I'll never pick up a cigarette again in my life has worked. I even stand with other smokers when I vape during my work breaks. Just sharing whats helped me and that sometimes trying a previous method could work if you feel you're running out of options. Good luck however you manage to get off 'em though. x
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    thecharon wrote: »
    I quit with Chantix after years and years of trying. Prescription insurance paid. I think I could only get 60 days free (forgot). Then I had to pay 50%. Yes, I had dreams, but they did not interfere with my day one little bit.

Best part. Now I can breathe. I take a deep breath and I can feel my lungs expanding and filling up with a lot of air. I can taste and smell food. I'm saving a ton of money yearly. I can walk up stairs and not be out of breath. I swear my face looks less wrinkled. I quit 5 years ago. If you can quit for 21 days, you will be successful (someone told me that and it motivated me). Bad part: I can smell when my husband farts.

Could you let us know if your insurance paid?

Yes my insurance paid 100%
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    I never smoked, so I really don't know. Had a friend who tried to quit at least 6 times. Then quit the first try with Chantix. He said the Chantix really helped a lot, but it was a lot because he was just tired of quitting. Said this was the LAST TIME he was gonna quit!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I also recommend whyquit.com It's been over 10 years smoke free thanks to this website and my stubborn dedication. You can do this!
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I quit probably 6 times before I was successful. It's been more than 15 years. I'm sorry I don't have any insight into the Chantix, but I would try it if I were you. On the other hand, I was successful the 2nd time I used the patch, not so much the 1st time. Keep trying, and eventually you will be successful. Remember the nicotine cravings only last about 3 days. It's the habits we develop around smoking that make it difficult, so be prepared to substitute activities for that, and BREATHE. Every time you feel a craving, deep, slow breaths. Feel the air go all the way to the bottom of your lungs. It sounds silly, but was so helpful for me.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I quit once, temporarily, with Chantix. But I was so miserable on the pills. I was more angry than I've ever been and very nauseous. Years later I quit on my own.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Is chantix the same as champix..? I figured was an OP typo but everyone else has carried it on
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I believe it is but all google shows when i look it up is champix XD SO my opinion is yes it works. 100% yes. BUT you need to quit. Like really quit. NO sneaking one here and there thinking youll be fine since the craving isnt there just a habit or a stresser. Whatever it is, Need to break the habit. The meds get rid of the craving, Its up to you to break the habits. I didnt the first time around i quit for 8 months and went right back to smoking. I would smoke a bit when i drank or was offered one by friends. Figured i was fine aslong as i wasnt buying them myself. Learned not to do that next time lol.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Is chantix the same as champix..? I figured was an OP typo but everyone else has carried it on

Chantix is the US name. Champix is the European name.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Canadian versus US branding, I believe. Same thing.

I've only ever quit cold turkey. The last time was to be supportive of my then boyfriend that turned into a bet. I wasn't prepared to quit, but too stubborn to lose the bet. It's been about 8.5 years now.

I always found the first three days hard for withdrawal, but after that it was the habit (smoking during commercial breaks, or while on the phone). I had cravings for years, with decreasing frequency.