Review of Research on the Amount of Dietary Protein and Kidney Disease

Options
Psychgrrl
Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1700312

The article takes about the impact of sodium, potassium, calcium, vitamin D and other dietary nutrients.

I found interesting:
  • "No clearly distinguished difference in the risk of kidney disease between plant-based and animal-based protein."
  • "There is currently no evidence that low-fat diets, recommended by some guidelines, improve kidney disease outcomes."
  • "Findings from studies of dietary protein restriction in humans, however, have been less consistent." Why studying humans is critical.

I came across this in our campus newsletter. Full disclosure, I work at UC Irvine, though I had no affiliation with this research.

Replies

• ReDoableMe
    ReDoableMe Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to read the study, but from your synopsis it confirms what I've recently discussed with an RD. I just received a transplant this summer after 2 years of dialysis but for 2 years before, when I found out that I had stage 4 kidney disease, I was on a high protein diet, consuming at least 100g a day. It bought me 2 years. I do not believe that a high protein diet will damage the kidneys. I do, however, understand that a high protein diet can lead to kidney stones, which can damage the kidneys. But it's the stones, not the protein that causes the damage.

Thanks for sharing!