Will eating way over normal calories in one day ruin whole weeks progress?

Options
Yesterday i thought it was going really well with my food. I had oats for breakfast , chicken salad for lunch then omlette for dinner. However after this i had 3 packs of belvita breakfast bars(containing 3 biscuits in each pack-210calories per pack) and at least 3 bowls of museli !! Which will have had tons of carbs in and calories !!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How many calories did you eat?
    What is your calorie goal, and what are your maintenance calories?
  • hattieandoscar
    hattieandoscar Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly how many calories but museli has 170 calories per 45g and i had at least 3 bowls full of that
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i thought it was going really well with my food. I had oats for breakfast , chicken salad for lunch then omlette for dinner. However after this i had 3 packs of belvita breakfast bars(containing 3 biscuits in each pack-210calories per pack) and at least 3 bowls of museli !! Which will have had tons of carbs in and calories !!

log all the food, then look at your weekly goal....
  • hattieandoscar
    Options

What do you mean though ? I just wanna know if it will effect my whole weaks progress and start to cover up what i had of abs ??
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

What do you mean though ? I just wanna know if it will effect my whole weaks progress and start to cover up what i had of abs ??

If over the course of a week this day of eating has put you over your calorie goal for maintenance you'll gain a bit. You may still be under your weekly calorie goal for maintenance so in this case, you'll still lose but not as much as if your deficit was bigger.
  • hattieandoscar
    Options
    How do i see my weekly calorie defecit goal ?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Does having a spending spree wipe out all the money you earned during the week?

It depends on how much you spent, and how much you earned, right?
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    How do i see my weekly calorie defecit goal ?

Just multiply your daily deficit goal by 7.

The real answer to your question as far as wrecking the week's progress depends on how the rest of the week went. If you only had a calorie deficit of a couple hundred calories a day, then, yes, going over it by something like 1000 calories in one day will pretty much wreck that week's progress. If you had a 500 calorie deficit every day, then a day of going over by 1000 only wipes out two days of progress.

Note that I'm talking about the ACTUAL deficit, not the MFP goal number, which is different. Your MFP goal adjusts to your calorie requirements.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,113 Member
    Options
    Just have a couple of days where you're really careful and you'll be fine, everyone needs a blow out from time to time.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,012 Member
    Options
    This is why logging consistently has worked so well for me. I would see if I had stayed at my calorie goal for the week, I would see how many calories I went over on the bad day, and I would know exactly where I stand.

I don't honestly know where/if you can see weekly numbers, but it's pretty easy to figure out.

If you are set at a 500 calorie deficit, and you hit your goal for 6 days of the week, you are at a 500x6= 3,000 cal deficit for the week, so as long as you are less than 3,000 cals over your goal on the bad day, you are still at a deficit, just less than you wanted to be.

I also find weighing and logging food before I eat it can help put the brakes on a big blow out. It's harder to make excuses for an unnecessary splurge when you see the numbers in black and white.

Regardless, don't worry about it. You can't change what's already happened. Just get back on track. At worst it has delayed your progress a little.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yes, you can overeat enough in one day to offset a whole weeks deficit. Whether you did or not depends on your numbers, as explained upthread. That's why it's important to weigh and log everything, or do your best estimate. More importantly, figure out why you did this and what you can do differently next time you're in the same situation.
  • slimsazzle
    slimsazzle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dont let it set you back . Just be extra careful for the rest of the week . Good luck !!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Not sure exactly how many calories but museli has 170 calories per 45g and i had at least 3 bowls full of that

Why are you not sure? Didn't you log it all on your MFP food diary page? The number at the bottom will turn red if you're over your quota, and stay green if you're under the daily goal.

You can click Reports at the top of the page, choose Calories (or Net Calories if you're exercising as well) and see the last 7 days at a glance. If you're way under on most days, one day over is not going to be a big problem, but your post reads as though you don't know the actual numbers.