Over 50 male question

I am 55, started at 203 10 days ago, now at 197.4 looking to lose up to 1# per week. Anything between 0.001 to 1.0# is excellent. Long and slow this time.

I walk almost daily between 2.5-4 miles and average 2-4 weight workouts per week, mostly upper body, mostly dumb bells and barbells with a few machines, pretty much using the same workout I have always used since I was a kid (which I am comfortable with) working on chest, arms, shoulders, back and stomach. I am not looking to be Mr. 55 YO Universe, but I am interested in, if possible, building muscle to look good.

Most of my sets are 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Since starting (again) I am adding weight I am lifting am look like I will get back to a weight lifting amount I used to be at.

As life goes, I have been off and on lifting depending on time, but am very active and my job keeps me lifting 'things' frequently, so I am a daily active person anyway especially with my upper body.

Are there any suggestions or words of wisdom regarding tweeting what I am doing as far as number of sets and reps once I get my baseline established and hopefully start building on it. I 'feel' stronger already, and that mental element to my life is very important, I am just hoping I can get the muscle look to follow. Not that I really care, but hey, at 55 if I can actually start looking buffer then 'what the hell', that's some nice gravy on the steak right?

From January to April I went from 213 to 193 with the same program but more aggressive on the diet part since my daughter got married in April and I needed to be in 'fighting shape' for the family photos (wanted to look good for my baby girl). Then wife and I packed up the house, sold it, moved, and since last April life took over and I was finally able to start this again at the end of October. So I am starting this time 10# under where I was in January.

Ideally (for me) I think between 185-190 will be my good weight (the way I have felt getting to or close to those numbers). When I get under 190 I just start feeling weak, YET, I am NOT confident that lost that weight before slowly enough. So I am testing it this time losing slowing to see if I can really get to 185 and this time have not only the energy but maybe not lose muscle getting there, even though I have been lifting along the way. I know lifting while under a deficit is counterintuitive to building muscle, but I am not going to NOT lift while losing. I would rather (and hopefully it will be this way) be shifting some of my fat to the muscles in the natural path of losing weight while lifting.

Your thoughts on any of this would be appreciated.

Mostly, without using drugs or powered drinks or hormones and anything artificial, can men in their 50's and 60's in general if in good health, transform if you will, into looking bulkier or maybe a little 'cut'? Not cut like bodybuilders talk about, but that I/we can have the body reflect in the mirror the efforts of our hard efforts.

Thank you!

Replies

• daltontf
    daltontf Posts: 63 Member
    edited November 2017
    You have the exact same weight as my weigh-in yesterday and I do feel weak under a certain weight (for me it seems to be 200). I'm still trying to figure out what is optimal for me, but I have reduced my volume and number of reps based on some stuff I've seen around the internet. I do remember watching a Starting Strength video with Mark Rippetoe saying that ability to handle volume goes down with age. I'm almost 51.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I'm 67 and 5'8". Weigh 160 (today, down from 196) @ about 12%BF (based on an ave of DXA & hydro results). Took me about a 6 months to achieve this; been in maintenance for a year since then.

Primary measurements are 42C, 33W & 37H. I look buff for my size and like what I see in the mirror everyday. Definitely don't look 67. My hydro tech even suggested that I enter a body building competition at the Mastersxlevel (of course) which was flattering.

In addition to a high protein and deficit diet to lose the weight and fat, I did a lot of pullups, pushups and dips together with the Starting Strength lifting program to increase my strength up to the elite and advanced levels for men my age and weight (based on the data in the Strength Levels website).

Starting Strength is for novices and focuses primarily on the 4 main compound lifts - - DL, SQT, BP and OHP - - and only uses a 3x5 set/rep routine; only 1x5 for DL. I've also used Stronglifts (another novice lifting program) previously, which focuses on the same lifts but uses a 5x5 set/rep routine w/1x5 for DL. SS uses power cleans while SL uses for as accessory lifts.

You can get strong and buff just doing this.

Fantastic! Way to go.
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    I am 55, started at 203 10 days ago, now at 197.4 looking to lose up to 1# per week. Anything between 0.001 to 1.0# is excellent. Long and slow this time.

I walk almost daily between 2.5-4 miles and average 2-4 weight workouts per week, mostly upper body, mostly dumb bells and barbells with a few machines, pretty much using the same workout I have always used since I was a kid (which I am comfortable with) working on chest, arms, shoulders, back and stomach. I am not looking to be Mr. 55 YO Universe, but I am interested in, if possible, building muscle to look good.

Most of my sets are 3 sets of 8-12 reps. Since starting (again) I am adding weight I am lifting am look like I will get back to a weight lifting amount I used to be at.

As life goes, I have been off and on lifting depending on time, but am very active and my job keeps me lifting 'things' frequently, so I am a daily active person anyway especially with my upper body.

Are there any suggestions or words of wisdom regarding tweeting what I am doing as far as number of sets and reps once I get my baseline established and hopefully start building on it. I 'feel' stronger already, and that mental element to my life is very important, I am just hoping I can get the muscle look to follow. Not that I really care, but hey, at 55 if I can actually start looking buffer then 'what the hell', that's some nice gravy on the steak right?

From January to April I went from 213 to 193 with the same program but more aggressive on the diet part since my daughter got married in April and I needed to be in 'fighting shape' for the family photos (wanted to look good for my baby girl). Then wife and I packed up the house, sold it, moved, and since last April life took over and I was finally able to start this again at the end of October. So I am starting this time 10# under where I was in January.

Ideally (for me) I think between 185-190 will be my good weight (the way I have felt getting to or close to those numbers). When I get under 190 I just start feeling weak, YET, I am NOT confident that lost that weight before slowly enough. So I am testing it this time losing slowing to see if I can really get to 185 and this time have not only the energy but maybe not lose muscle getting there, even though I have been lifting along the way. I know lifting while under a deficit is counterintuitive to building muscle, but I am not going to NOT lift while losing. I would rather (and hopefully it will be this way) be shifting some of my fat to the muscles in the natural path of losing weight while lifting.

Mostly, without using drugs or powered drinks or hormones and anything artificial, can men in their 50's and 60's in general if in good health, transform if you will, into looking bulkier or maybe a little 'cut'? Not cut like bodybuilders talk about, but that I/we can have the body reflect in the mirror the efforts of our hard efforts.

Thank you!

The short answer to this is: yes
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    I'm 51 and in better shape than I have ever been. Not quite as strong as in my younger years but leaner and more asthetic thanks to years more knowledge.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Not a guy, but most definitely well over the 50-55 range, and though not 'buff' as a 20-40yo woman, I have had good results (for me) doing a recomp.

Don't let age deter you, but do realize you may take longer to recover, especially in a deficit.

Pay attention to drops in daily activity (compensating for gym) and twinges that aren't DOMS- adjust food, macros and training accordingly.

I like AllPro as it is a well rounded programme that uses the 8-12 rep range with a Heavy, medium, and light day.

Even if you don't follow the lifts, I realize you have reasons for not putting too much stress on your hips at the moment*, I would encourage you to read through it for the methodology. You may find it gives you better progress.

*I am not sure what physio you have had, but I would definitely look at getting some professsional help/guidance on what will work for your lower body/legs. Not only will this give you a more balanced physique, it will help strengthen you and increase your mobility into the future.

Cheers, h.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • jamesakrobinson
    jamesakrobinson Posts: 2,149 Member
    I failed to mention that I have had 3 lovely bouts of tendonitis in the last 18 months... When I set my mind to crack a new PR I sometimes push a bit further than I ought to... Trying to push my reduced limits is a challenging balancing act.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Im not above 50 but would just like to recommend that you incorporate squats and deadlifts into your programme too. Will do wonders for overall health imo.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Long and slow this time.
    I think that's a sensible idea when older, skin will have lost some elasticity.

2-4 weight workouts per week, mostly upper body, mostly dumb bells and barbells with a few machines, pretty much using the same workout I have always used since I was a kid (which I am comfortable with) working on chest, arms, shoulders, back and stomach.
    Why no legs? My leg training is restricted due to a heavy cycle riding routine and injuries but why aren't you training yours?
    If your routine was a poor one when you were a kid then it's still a poor one now!

Reps and sets are one thing but without knowing what lifts you do hard to know if that's good/bad/indifferent for you. My experience of returning to serious training at 52 was that I got back to previous "normal" strength levels quickly but progress beyond that has been glacially slow.

Are there any suggestions or words of wisdom regarding tweeting what I am doing as far as number of sets and reps once I get my baseline established and hopefully start building on it.
    Start by selecting the right lifts built into a balanced routine rather than worry so much about sets and reps. Personally I thrive on high volume, but I'm not you.

Random thoughts....
    Our bodies are different in our 50's, progress is slower, recovery takes longer, ligaments and tendons aren't so flexible. (Like @jamesakrobinson I suffer with tendon issues.)
    Avoidance of injury is more significant when older as you seem to decline faster and recover slower. Most of my training is in a pyramid style for avoidance of aggravating joint problems despite being sub-optimal for strength progress for that reason.
    Don't stick to the past, try new things, experiment, learn and expand your knowledge. A lot of what knowledge I picked up in gyms in the 70's and 80's was absolute cobblers!

Mostly, without using drugs or powered drinks or hormones and anything artificial, can men in their 50's and 60's in general if in good health, transform if you will, into looking bulkier or maybe a little 'cut'?
    Yes.
    It's sad how many people in their 50's and beyond give up and become old on the inside and on the outside.
    Do think you have to try harder and train smarter though.

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Also, you might want to look into the book "The Barbell Prescription-Strength Training for Life After 40" by Jonathon M. Sullivan & Andy Baker. It's a great resource for older adults trying to maintain their strength and fitness.
  • Lean59man
    edited November 2017
    Oops.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Hey, man! I am 50 (and .5 now) and just back in the gym (after an issue with a cyst on my back). I NEVER let age be an issue for anything. Are we 22 still? Heck no - and I would not want to be 22 again. Like others have stated, just be consistent, allow for recovery (I tend to overdo things so going to try to listen to my own advice this time) and kill it in the gym!

And, if I might follow someone else's lead - what is up with leg days? I absolutely squats and dead lifts and started doing both at age 49 so it can happen! And, I have a totally jacked up left knee (from - everyone.....wait for it.........high school football injury! Y'all knew that was coming, right?) so I was quite against doing squats. Thank the good Lord above that I changed my mind set. My legs and posterior chain are WAY stronger now then way back when. That is a VERY good thing......

I might be 50 but I don't let that stop me at anything. I am better than most of the 20-somethings because I have 20-30 years practice! Anyway, just be smart about how you do things - whatever that might mean for you (we are all different). I would strongly suggest that you consider leg day. Unless there is some compelling reason why you should not. And, look into a hip mobility and hip flexibility program. Trust that these two things will greatly help. Big time!

Anyway, nutrition is going to be key in all of this. I trust that you have this down pat? It seems like you might....

Be good, man! And keep on killing it.....
  • jestog63
    jestog63 Posts: 85 Member
    I apologize up front for being so long.
    I will be 54 in Dec, worked out off and on most of my life however as I got older it became more about just working out with no real direction and that made it difficult to stay on task. I got frustrated and realized for me just wanting to stay in shape was not a good goal and I had to redirect myself. I chose to do a Spartan run and focused my diet and workouts around meeting the specific goal of at a minimum placing in the top half of my age group and overall, mission accomplished. During that period I didn’t lose massive amounts of weight but I did reshape my body into a build more reminiscent of my 20-30s. I am not saying the route I took is best for everyone but I do believe picking a more specific goal that has a time frame and focuses your workouts rather than saying you want to look more muscular might help. I am now working toward my next Spartan in May with the goal of coming in more muscular but also more cut while improving my overall placing at the event. This requires I increase my leg work in addition to being selective in my cardio so as not to burn off any gains. Good luck to you.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    I am 51, 5'10" and currently 215lbs. My highest weight was 235 Dec. 1st 2016. I have had a gym membership for as long as I can remember, but have been one of them on again off again people. Back in August I was walking with family and passed out and my face broke my fall. Broke two teeth and put one tooth thru my bottom lip. Also had a head concussion and to not remember simple words or phrases that you know you should remember is scary.

Oct 1st I started back at the gym and started out slow. I dont have any history of weight lifting, but I do know how to listen to my body. I have had a separated shoulder when I was 25yo from a bike/vehicle accident. When I do some chest exercise machines I can feel popping in my shoulder, but it does not hurt to stop me from working out. In the past I have been doing 3 sets of 15 reps, but after watching youtube vids and some thought i am now doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps with a higher weight.

I have been going just about everyday and yes I do know I need to give myself days off to recover. The one thing I have found this time is that I have come to really like going to the gym. maybe this is what leads to addiction, but I love the way I feel after working out. I have also started to log ALL the food I am eating. Am I strict? no not at all, but I have cleaned up much of what I intake. I am staying away from refined carbs and sugars. I have noticed a great change in the way I feel and I know I am gaining muscle mass even if a little for now.

My goal would be to get down to 180lbs which I was when I got discharged from the US Army in 1991. I am on a new journey and I look forward to where I am going to be in the future. 51 is just a number and as long as I am healthy I am going to continue my progress.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Don't let this be you:

x7isuetcj9rm.png

IMO skipping resistance training for your lower body is your biggest issue. I'm 61 and have been lifting for a long time. You need your lower body strength as you get older. Many residents are in a nursing home because they're not strong enough to get off the toilet. Don't let that be you.

As we get older it's not a bad idea to incorporate some single leg work to help with balance. Best of luck.

• tomjanecourtney
    tomjanecourtney Posts: 97 Member
    edited November 2017
    I’m 62 and 5’10”, never trained before and using MFP and gym 3 x week, in 7 1/2 months I’ve dropped from 226 lbs to 183 lbs.
    Had a few injuries along the way but managed to work round them and feel great.
    I’ve set myself an ambitious target of 175lbs with 15% fat but I think I can do it next year.

Make a record of every lift wt/sets/reps and try to increase one aspect every week.

Vary your workout every month or so to keep it interesting/ challenging.

Be meticulous with MFP, recording everything as accurately as you can.

Buy a ‘rose tinted’ mirror for encouragement.

Working for me so far :)
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    After being in the 220's most of my adult life, I found myself at 251 in 2014 at the age of 54. Using the MPF approach of picking an activity level and eating back exercise calories, I dropped 70lbs. In the last couple years, I've found a new focus on fitness in general and especially the role that resistance training plays in slowing down the inevitable aging process. I've gained about 10lbs back in the last few years but I've also never looked better. For what it's worth, here are some resources I found personally very helpful in addition to MPF:

https://www.verywell.com/walking-4014629 (walking is also my goto cardio activity, a FitBit helps ensure I stay on my feet more than my butt)

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/start-here/ (no bs approach to weight-lifting and diet)

I also found the "New Rules of Lifting for Life" insightful. It also introduced me to the Trapbar Deadlift as a viable alternative to squats.

Next time I even think about skipping legs...."Many residents are in a nursing home because they're not strong enough to get off the toilet. Don't let that be you."
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    this is a neat thread. disclaimer: not a man.

op, if you want the buff part you might find wendler 5/3/1 or the doug hepburn 'solution' interesting. both are strength-oriented but have an add-on thing you can do as well for the hypertrophy part, if you feel up to it.

i know you're not supposed to do stuff like that while in a deficit, but i can't say it harmed me [see disclaimer above; also i was not seriously chasing a steep loss - just watching my weight very carefully and aiming to coax it downwards by about a pound a month for a few months]. all that happened to me was i grew a bit of extra muscle, my form grooves got greasier, and i kept getting stronger while i was doing it. then i did something stupid, not directly related to lifting, and never got back on the wendler wagon because i couldn't work up the consistency to make anything that i did meaningful.

so in the meantime i'm doing hepburn. it's only two reps per set (incremental increase up to three before you add weight), but it's eight sets, plus you can do the extra programme with lighter weight if you feel like it. ymmv of course, but i'm really liking the super-short sets. there isn't enough time between rests for me to strain or damage myself, and i think i'm getting more out of each rep just because there's only two or three of them for me to focus on at a time.
  • Lean59man
    We have not heard from the OP.

He may have left the building.