Working out for hours and/or 2-a-days

Options
Hey all!

I love working out. So much so, that I’d enjoy staying at the gym and lifting for hours on end, everyday. My question is; has anyone does this personally and still seen growth or does working out for so long stunt growth due to overworking?

I know you shouldn’t workout the same muscle back to back (without taking juice), so if I do an upper body lower body split, could I workout for hours a day, everyday? Obviously I’d have to eat more food and possible sleep more but if that’s the case I’m cool with that!

Replies

• ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It just depends, really. If you find yourself starting to have joint pain or you start regressing in your progress you might want to reassess your schedule.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Working out too much is a thing, as is working out too little. Mike Israetel has a really good article on this where he explains concepts relating to how much you should train to make gains. https://renaissanceperiodization.com/training-volume-landmarks-muscle-growth/
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I tended to over do things. I am like you....I will spend 90 minutes in the gym (if not longer) every single day. I am 50 so the recovery takes a little bit more. I did not see the gains (on my body) that I would have liked, but the strength was there. And, yes - sometimes I did twice a day sessions.

I am doing Strong Lifts 5x5 right now and being mindful of recovery. It is more challenging than one thinks, but it is important.

However, as already stated, if that works for you then go for it. I did heavy squats for 34 days in a row, took a few days off and then did heavy squats again for 17 days in a row. I would not recommend that for most folks....I tend to recovery better than most (just not from cyst removal! LOL!).

Recovery is a HUGE part of the program. Mike Israetel's article is likely really really useful (I have not read it but the man is pretty brilliant so I am making an assumption - I am also going to read it once I hit the "Post reply" button).
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Are you working out for hours or socializing for hours? I used to spend hours at the gym, only to find I wasn't getting much gym stuff done lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    There is such thing as overtraining, and without adequate recovery, it can cause diminished muscle building. You don't want that.

However, regarding working muscles back to back, it is not always the case... as it will depend on your programming. I've worked glutes 5-6x a week before, but obviously my program was intelligently designed for that and I didn't just go hard and heavy everyday.

I would be sure to follow a program designed for your training level (ex. don't do an advanced program if you are a beginner or intermediate) and don't try to add more stuff thinking it is better for you, usually it is not.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    +1 to what Miss Steph says. I am the perfect example of doing toooooo much. Smarter now.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    +1 to what Miss Steph says. I am the perfect example of doing toooooo much. Smarter now.

Ohh believe me, I've been there too. I always thought more was better and my muscles had to be aching and burning by the end of each session in order to see results. I still get those moments of "am I doing enough?" But then I see my progress and clearly I am doing it right ;)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @sardelsa - Yes, ma'am! I am super competitive and used to think the same way.....if something ain't falling off then I did not do enough. Case in point - 34 straight days of heavy squats, a few days off and then 17 more (or 14 more, whatever it was). Glad that I have the experience doing that but not going to repeat.

Recovery is something that we often overlook in our plan design. And, at 50 I do not recover like I used to 20 years ago (but I still recover pretty well....far better than most, I would say). Anyway, not going to put myself in that position any longer. That article from the awesome Dr. Mike Israetel (which I did indeed read after making the post) really explains things well.

So, no matter what the age of the person doing the training, recovery HAS to be a part of the program. Otherwise, you are just spinning your wheels (for the most part.....and that depends on how much you are "overdoing" things. I tend to go big or go home.....).

I think that it is awesome to be strong and smart! Man, my ex-wife is a fool! LOL!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited November 2017
    Options
    And, not spending all of my life in a gym.

Spending quality time in the gym. Well, what I thought was quality time.....my definition of that has changed in the last little bit.

For me, it is a fun place to be. And it is a healthy place to be.

For me, it is a far better place than sitting on my ever expanding butt, watching sports, playing video games and eating potato chips and drinking Mountain Dew all day long. And getting fat and developing diabetes and whatever else happens when one does that.

I spend quality time in the gym. I used to run along the River when I was up in Roanoke VA for my daily 5 mile to 13 mile run. Man, I miss that time. That was home. I found peace and serenity and tranquility there. And clarity! Early morning or later evenings.....dang! The silence was deafening (all of the bugs and birds and frogs and fish and and and....).

Anyway, we are all different. We all enjoy different things.
  • kmrob2
    kmrob2 Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm similar to the poster, I love working out. I'm a former x-c runner (now 20ish miles a week) but I adore lifting and HITT and OrangeTheory and barre too. In trying to do everything, I usually end up with a couple of 2x-a-days or 90 minute workouts. To eliminate the risk of overtraining and/or injury, I *really* pay attention to how my body feels, build in recovery/light days, make sure I get enough sleep, stretch, and EAT (especially protein) to compensate for the ton of calories I'm expending.

I mix it up a lot. I'll run/lift in the morning then do barre class at night. Or Orangetheory in the morning and then run or walk at night. Or only Orangetheory. Or only hot yoga. Or just a walk around the neighborhood. And usually during the week I take a friggin day off and eat pie (or something delicious). If my body says 'take it easy' welp, I take it easy. Ain't nobody got time for injuries! I've also intentionally targeted the same muscle groups back-to-back before. There's a lot of strategies/methodologies out there, the key is to really do your research and be safe. I usually end up working out 9 times within 6 days, weekly.
  • Travis_GM
    Travis_GM Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the replies.
    -I’ll read that article, thanks for that!
    -As for the socializing vs. actually working out; I actually workout the whole time
    -Find somewhere else to spend my life? Why? I love the gym. I spend my time doing things I love, I love working out
    -As for the recovery, thats my main concern. Am I recovering enough? I guess it wouldn’t hurt to pay more attention to my body and slowly increase the workload/time spent in the gym over a long period.

Again, thanks all! Quality responses by most!
  • tomjanecourtney
    tomjanecourtney Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I’m with you :)
    Everything to Excess
    That’s my lifestyle choice :)
    Doesn’t always give success but hey ho.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    A normal intense gym session shouldn’t be able to last more than 45-60 minutes if you’re putting max effort in.

However every once in a while you’ll go and hit a session that “feels right” and you may spend much longer in the Gym.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    i go back sometimes and re-do a workout that i called off early because mornings just are not my time. so i've done it and it doens't seem to do any harm. it's worth it if a) my form on the first try was *kitten* and b) i can do it properly second time round.

and i've hung out for long stretches of time at the gym. i like it there. doesn't mean i'm going all out the whole time, but i'm not dicking around socializing or watching youtube clips on my phone either. i think up various 'just one more' something type things to get done. like eating potato chips kind of thing.

twice a day though, consistently . . . to be totally honest with you if i found myself doing that after the honeymoon phase had worn off, then the face in the morning mirror would start asking me 'is there something we should be talking about?' because life should not be < the gym.
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    What kind of program are you running that has you lifting for hours - I assume you mean more than a "couple" of hours? I could combine the high volume of a heavy PPL split into one workout and it would still only take me about 4 hours to complete - but would probably kill me in a week. I find it hard to believe that you are spending hours a day in the gym, even on a real bro split, with any kind of intensity or moderate to heavy weights. Are you just flitting around from machine to machine, knocking out a set or two of warm up light weights and running some kind of gigantic circuit?
  • Travis_GM
    Travis_GM Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    What kind of program are you running that has you lifting for hours - I assume you mean more than a "couple" of hours? I could combine the high volume of a heavy PPL split into one workout and it would still only take me about 4 hours to complete - but would probably kill me in a week. I find it hard to believe that you are spending hours a day in the gym, even on a real bro split, with any kind of intensity or moderate to heavy weights. Are you just flitting around from machine to machine, knocking out a set or two of warm up light weights and running some kind of gigantic circuit?

Well first off I never said I DO workout for hours now, I said I’d like to.

Thanks for all the replies!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Over training is a thing...you also reach a point of diminishing returns.

I'm pretty active, but I learned early on that you can over do it...it sucks when you do too much and then end up not being able to do pretty much anything for a couple of months because you injured yourself.

About the only time that I'm actually going more than 60 minutes is when I'm actually training for a cycling event...though I do like to get in a longer ride on the weekends, but it rarely exceeds 2 hours. My gym time is 2-3x per week (depending on season) full body...I'm generally in and out in 45-60 minutes. I only occasionally have a two-a-day which would consist of a relatively easy morning ride and a lifting session in the evening.

I also like to just be recreationally active...hit the climbing gym a few times per month...hiking in the mountains, etc.