Ladies successful doing weights....i need help plz

Options
Hello,

So a little about me, I'm 4'11 and i lost 55 lbs but have loose skin. I just went to doctor yesterday bc if sciatic nerve pain and she said it's bc my muscles aren't firm anymore bc of weight loss and loose skin. She said to try weights and firm and tone up.

So i need help, bc i don't know where to start and what to do. Should i start a gym and get a trainer but i can't afford trainer more than 2 sessions. Should i do machine weights or the other ones? Which weight should i start at? Just any information will be helpful. My cw is144, i was trying to lose to130 but don't know if my approach was right in losing weight.

Replies

• mariazm_840
    mariazm_840 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi dear can u tell how did u lose weight
  • shabanabibi1986
    shabanabibi1986 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just calorie counting. No exercise, stayed between 1200 to 1300 calories.
  • mariazm_840
    Options
    Thanks hos long did it take and what was ut diet
  • mariazm_840
    Options
    I want to lose 17 kgs
  • shabanabibi1986
    Options
    Just stayedbetween these calories, mostly ate anything that fit into these calories. Took about10months. And lots of water
  • mariazm_840
    Options
    Ok thank u. Will start calorie counting.. hope it works
  • 1007145fattie
    1007145fattie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would use the machines. Most gyms give you an orientation. Then after a couple of months get a one time training session to change your routine. And do the treadmill. Just start. Take it easy and don't injure yourself.
  • ljg419
    ljg419 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A lot of gyms offer a free session with a trainer when you sign up. I found that to be really helpful just to have them teach me the correct movements and position, and then I could continue on my own.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    All the options you mentioned are good but I would recommend you start with looking at videos. Many are free and here are few links https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugu9XF3p-oI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naJtNxEuBqw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1PkDewTrrE. Some books include: Strong Curves, The New Rules of Lifting for Women and Women's Health Lift to Get Lean: A Beginner's Guide to Fitness & Strength . The gym is also a great option - but if money is an issue don't let this stop you.
  • shabanabibi1986
    Options
    Thank u all for ur help.
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I signed up with a trainer at my gym. I see her twice a week and I've been working with her since December 2016. This December will be my last sessions with her, I've learned a TON. I have like 20 more lbs to lose, but she taught me so much I believe I can continue on twice a week without her now. I highly recommend learning how to lift weights! It'll totally transform your body, you just have to be very patient.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You can also see if you're gym or rec centres offer a weight training class. A couple of years ago I took a class called Women on Weights. It was once a week for 5 or 6 weeks and we were taught how to use the machines, a little on free weights, etc.

I'm now taking Learn to Weight Lift class. This one is only 3 weeks and a smaller group (there's 4 of us, one who took the class before and kinda goes off on his own and three of us newbies). The focus of the class is bench press, squats and dead lifts and then other exercises to complement those ones.
  • npaladin1
    npaladin1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I really cant afford a personal trainer either but What I do is hire mine once every 2-3 months just for a change in routine. I have been doing weights for just over a year and love the feeling its given me. There are several online workouts but I mostly listen Athlean-x with how to do some weights... I love his videos on how to do things properly as well as how he teaches you what works what muscles by drawing on himself
  • mrsbarnett1012
    mrsbarnett1012 Posts: 63 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I would join a gym that your comfortable in and can afford. A lot of gyms will do a few days or a week to trial the membership. Do this at a couple of gyms in your area to find the right fit for you.

After that, I would start with some weight machines or free weights if you want. The machines seem to be less intimidating for someone new to strength training. If you have questions about how to use them you can always Google or You Tube it to look them up or ask one of the trainers or someone else that works at the gym. Also, there are a ton of online programs you can use if you are looking for a structured plan and can't afford a trainer (I hear ya!). If you go to Bodybuliding.com there are a lot of programs. Jamie Eason has a great one to use but there are plenty of others as well.

Another option if you don't want to join a gym is to purchase some free weights and resistance bands and purchase some at home work out DVD's such as Jillian Michaels or one of the many Beachbody programs available.

As far as how heavy to lift-start light and if it feels to easy you can always add more. Vice versa is true-if it's too heavy, drop the weight. Depending on the exercise you should probably aim for 8-12 reps of each exercise and add another set (or two) as your comfortable.
  • shabanabibi1986
    Options
    U all are so wonderful and helpful. I really appreciate the advice. I will be checking out these videos and online sources.
  • vlnielsen519
    vlnielsen519 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Check out fitnessblender.com. Literally 100s of free videos including weight training. They sell complete programs where every day is assigned a workout so you don’t have to make any decisions. Almost like having a personal trainer. The programs are abt $10 each and you can use them as many times as you want without buying the program again. Can’t recommend them enough
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The info you say from your doctor doesn’t make sense. You don’t have sciatica because of loose skin and weak muscles. Either you heard something wrong or your doctor is nuts, sorry. But strength training is great for you nonetheless.
  • its_me_april
    its_me_april Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    youtube!! or a friend that is into fitness and somewhat know what they're doing. Just start out light til you get your form down and be patient with yourself. You will get better with practice, just like anything! Good luck :)
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The info you say from your doctor doesn’t make sense. You don’t have sciatica because of loose skin and weak muscles. Either you heard something wrong or your doctor is nuts, sorry. But strength training is great for you nonetheless.

Loose skin is definitely not a reason but poor muscle tone possibly. I have nerve issues in my leg and it has gotten better with exercise. Poorly toned pelvic, core and back muscles cause lack of support in the hips and could possibly cause a pinching of the nerve at times. There could be more to it and if it is really painful then I would suggest an MRI to see if you have any spine issues. But yoga and weight training has helped me at least and it gets worse if I'm lazy and sit a lot.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    There is zero connection between loose skin and sciatic pain, but weight training would obviously improve your muscle mass. I would suggest you start with yoga and pilates and look into Stronglifts 5x5, it’s a great beginner lifting program.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!