I can RUN again!

Options
asviles
asviles Posts: 56 Member
Howdy y'all. Big dude from Texas here. At my peak weight I was 311 pounds. I always told my self that I was "strong-fat" or "burly" and to my credit I was surprisingly active for such a big dude. Took some MMA classes and worked my heavy bag a lot. When I was a young buck I wrestled in highschool and weighed 165. I'd run 2.5 miles every morning before practice and 2.5 every night after dinner. Turns out starving yourself to make weight for wrestling and run till your shins give out, it does some whacky stuff to your metabolism, and when you finally stop most folks gain the weight back and then some! Well when I started eating again, I had no self control and developed some stupid habits. All my fault.

It wasn't until I was turned on to MFP by a youtuber named VitruvianPhysique that I realized I had absolutely NO idea how much I was eating.

I got to the point where my ankle was giving out and I had to occasionally walk with a cane after a particularly bad fall during a round of sparring. Being a fighter and bring fragile was an oxymoron I wasn't about to allow. My wife always told me that after having seen what I can do, no one can beat me but me. I decided I'd win that fight too.

I started weighing my food. I bought this awesome little exercise peddler for 40 bucks on Amazon (200 bucks for a stationary bike? all you need is the peddles people!) that I keep by my couch. I never sit on my butt and watch TV, instead I peddle.

My 2 boys (5 and 7) have got to see their dad cut 45 pounds and counting, but the biggest non-scale victory came just these last few weeks...

I took my boys for a run! We only cleared a half mile, but watching those skinny little runts huffing and puffing and seeing their daddy keep ahead of them the whole time really gave those boys something to think about.

Y'all keep up the good work. Don't lie to yourself. Make like Ghandi and be the change folks!

Replies

• magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Congrats on this victory and being a positive roll model for your boys. Keep up the great work!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Make it so! Be the inspiration those whipper-snappers need.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    way to take life by the horns!
  • dailyzey
    dailyzey Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Love it! Congrats. Being able to run again is my main motivation for weight loss as well. I used to run, not fast at all but run without stopping. I am starting again and just managed to run 0.7 miles without stopping!
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! Happy Running!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!