Increasing calories while bulking

Options
Hey good evening everyone . Im currently bulking and I’m eating around 3100 calories . I’m weighing about 156 now and my goal is to be around 165 , mind you I started at 150 so I’m progressing fairly well . My question is when I’m gaining a pound every 2 weeks, do I increase my calories with the weigh gain or keep it the same ? Thanks to replies in advance !

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Hey good evening everyone . Im currently bulking and I’m eating around 3100 calories . I’m weighing about 156 now and my goal is to be around 165 , mind you I started at 150 so I’m progressing fairly well . My question is when I’m gaining a pound every 2 weeks, do I increase my calories with the weigh gain or keep it the same ? Thanks to replies in advance !

You are at a good pace, especially if you want to minimize fat gains.
  • edickson76
    edickson76 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Ideally yes increase calories as you gain; however your calorie goal is an estimate and you are probably estimating portion sizes. So, much safer from a fat gain perspective to wait until your gains slow noticeably before increasing calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If your weight gain stalls, add more calories. If it remains constant then don’t increase them.
  • flo_houdini
    flo_houdini Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you should increase them every 2/3 weeks to have perfect results. But you choose: if you're not gaining , you must add calories, if you're gaining then it's not mandatory.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If your weight is moving up, keep your eating pattern the same until it plateaus...then add calories until it moves again.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^Exactly this! Do not feel compelled to move things up (or down) - in terms of caloric intake - if your desired effect is still in full swing. Sorta in the "if it ain't broke...." mind set. When you stall (read: stop gaining weight on the same or similar trend) then consider an increase in calories.
  • matt2232
    matt2232 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Keep it the same, Just make sure you are not putting on the wrong sort of weight. Only thing to keep an eye on