Weight loss and depression

Options
As the title says..thats what I'm struggling with!! I didn't understand it till it happened to me and it's having a HUGE impact on trying to lose weight. My first attempt 5 years ago turned into an addiction but I didn't have this problem then. Now, it's not... And I'm pretty much waiting for it to like, hit me again. Waiting, waiting, waiting..ugh.
Has anyone else had this problem?
If so, how did you get through It?
What helped You?
Anything at this point would be helpful!!
I know everyone's different and what helped you might not work or help me but I'm desperate..

Replies

• KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    It happened to me due to long term low calorie dieting. I averaged 1200 calories for about 6 months and eliminated as much fat and added sugars as possible. My diet was severely restrictive. The brain needs healthy fats and energy to work efficiently. Not sure if this relates to your experience though.
  • Dc_Unit3d305
    Dc_Unit3d305 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Being someone who suffers from the exact same thing. One that helps me is lifting and going for long walks, when i stop or take a break i start to feel it creeping back up its a daily struggle but things can improve im like 2 years off the meds since i started this fitness journey. You can add me if you want perhaps having others with same kinda issues can help. Good luck!
  • theyoginurse
    theyoginurse Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I was very depressed when I put way too many rules on my life- especially my eating and fitness. Try flexible dieting and I love the idea of long walks outside. And pray!
  • blondebaby88
    blondebaby88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know that exercise greatly helps but the problem is making myself do it. I have ZERO motivation and from what I was told it's a part of depression. I started seeing a better therapist so I'm hoping it helps with that.
  • Smile418
    Smile418 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's great that you're seeing a therapist! Having no motivation is a huge part of depression. I've definitely been where you've been. I gained weight when I was severely depressed because I had no motivation to do anything, let alone work out, and I ate a lot of comfort food. I gained maybe around 10 pounds, and then another 20 pounds once I went on anti-depressants for over a year. I am only now healthy and starting to lose weight. The best thing is to stay patient with yourself and your therapy and focus on the small wins when you have them. Depression will try to drag you down into the negative. Really try to learn to forgive yourself. It gets better :smile:
  • blondebaby88
    blondebaby88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Smile418 wrote: »
    It's great that you're seeing a therapist! Having no motivation is a huge part of depression. I've definitely been where you've been. I gained weight when I was severely depressed because I had no motivation to do anything, let alone work out, and I ate a lot of comfort food. I gained maybe around 10 pounds, and then another 20 pounds once I went on anti-depressants for over a year. I am only now healthy and starting to lose weight. The best thing is to stay patient with yourself and your therapy and focus on the small wins when you have them. Depression will try to drag you down into the negative. Really try to learn to forgive yourself. It gets better :smile:

I actually don't eat that much. That's part of why I'm diabetic now...
    I kinda wish anti depressants would work but it's beyond that, that's why I have to go to therapy.
    I think I'm being pretty patient, I do know it'll take time and I do focus on the small wins it just gets aggravating sometimes and I think about it a lot. I know if it wasn't for the depression I'd be so much further and would be able to discipline myself more.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Working out really does help. Try doing just a very short workout at home - find a dance one with good music which is less than five minutes long. You can do anything for five minutes, you could probably keep a secret while being waterboarded for five minutes! Then afterwards, you can tell yourself, well, I did a thing for five minutes, that's better than not doing anything.

In fact you could get up right now and do it.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Working out really does help. Try doing just a very short workout at home - find a dance one with good music which is less than five minutes long. You can do anything for five minutes, you could probably keep a secret while being waterboarded for five minutes! Then afterwards, you can tell yourself, well, I did a thing for five minutes, that's better than not doing anything.

In fact you could get up right now and do it.

Along these lines, I've always tried to use a 5 minute rule- if I have planned to work out but am not motivated, I have to try it for 5 minutes, and if I'm still not feeling it, I give myself permission to quit, but I can only remember 1 or 2 times that's happened, due to some health issue. My favorite depression-busting workout is to put on a favorite play list and lose myself on my stationary bike. I haven't been focusing on my weight loss lately (after losing close to 70 lbs over 3-4 years), but I now view exercise as being indispensable for mental health reasons.