PCOS and infertility scare

Options
I’m just late night thinking. I was diagnosed with PCOS and I am fairly heavy for my age. I’m 18 and my biggest fear is that if I don’t get this weight off now, it will lessen my chances of having kids. Anyone going through or been through a similar situation?

Replies

• ElizabethLovesFood
    Options
    Yes. Short story of it..I ended up in menopause by my early 20s. It was too late for me as weight loss didn't help. I'm 32 now, total hysterectomy at age 23 or 24 (been awhile), and no kids. Definitely do what you can & get 2nd and 3rd opinions. Best of luck sent your way. Best advice get the best possible health insurance you can. Wish I had a positive story, but I bet many others do!!!
  • carolinawren42
    carolinawren42 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS a few years back. I'm trying to lose some weight before trying to concieve again - we miscarried in the first trimester a month ago. (Currently 210 lbs) So we know we can get pregnant, which is great!
    PCOS does effect fertility, but with a healthy diet, your odds of concieveing are much better... After my first child, I had a tough time losing weight. And then my PCOS developed. When I was lean(160 lbs - I'm quite tall), I was super fertile (we got pregnant using multiple types of birth control!). So yup, get active and get to a healthy weight... Good luck!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There is a drug called Clomid which can help women with PCOS to conceive. Unfortunately nobody mentioned this to me until after I had already lost my uterus, so I was not aware of it during the small window when I might have been able to have children.

Obviously you should be at a healthy weight first in order to reduce pregnancy risks and to provide a healthy start for a child.