When I go to the gym I only use the excercise equipment

Options
When I do go to the gym I only use the excercise equipment I know how to use like the treadmill the bike etc just those simple equipment they have yoga balls and other bits and bobs but I don't want to use other machines in correctly and I don't want to look awkward when doing squats and push ups etc, what do I do?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Ask one of the employees to show you how to use it
  • BZK0612
    BZK0612 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is my struggle. I hate the fear of judgememt amd hate big gyms. I wpuld ask someone at the desk to walk you threw amd show you how to do each one correctly so you cam confidently use them. It was a game changer for me
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yep! My struggle too. Ask an employee, 100% right, it is part of their job to walk you through and make sure you can safely use what they have. Also, I finally worked up courage to get back on the things I know how to use, but that are usually surrounded by very capable lifters, by going at a time when most people aren't there ... 5PM Saturday ... :) Good luck , you are not the only one who feels like this!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Oh and, we all look awkward doing things like ball pushups or squats. But nobody is really looking at me ... they're worrying about how THEY look lol.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    Yep ask an employee to show you how to use a machine. The other thing I do on a machine I have yet to use is to read the label on the machine. Dont put alot of weight on it and try it out to find the range of motion needed to do the exercise. Then add weight and try it.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Consider paying a personal trainer for a couple of sessions. They can demonstrate proper form for lifting. Money well spent, in my opinion.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Check out this website which has examples of exercises and how to do them.

exrx.net/index.html
  • eggsandsyrup
    eggsandsyrup Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all
    There isn't any employees there usually very rare I like when it's only me so I don't look silly but definitely made me feel better about being awkward

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Thank y'all
    There isn't any employees there usually very rare I like when it's only me so I don't look silly but definitely made me feel better about being awkward

it takes guts to ask, but it's very worth it. i have had people ask me questions sometimes - i'm very unscary looking so i guess i seem like a good pick. if i know enough to help i love doing it.

also, i want to reassure you everyone looks 'awkward' doing squats :tongue: it's a weird-*kitten*, awkward-looking kind of movement. you could google 'goblet squats' and try to find a demo/explanation that clicks for you. it's a good place to start if you're feeling overwhelmed.