Don't walk and chew gum at the same time!!!!

Options
Sweetlux
Sweetlux Posts: 222 Member
Actually don't chew at all, or at least the suger free kind.
I’m sitting back chewing some trident layers cherry lime, it taste like a starburst that keeps on bursting (after I drank my DIET soda). I looked down at the package and saw a little miniature warning that states “CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE” So I googled it. (apparently 1 in 15,000 people understand the meaning of this warning) During these highly scientific googled investigations I came across “ASPARTAME POISONING”. Now I’m wondering what the heck am I really chewing? I’m wondering if my constant headaches could be a side effect of this crap! (I always thought they were a result of my poor vision, having to stare at a computer all day and allergies) I am going to try an experiment and find out what’s really going on. It’s going to be difficult. I am going to try my very hardest to not consume any Aspartame for the rest of the month. I’ll report my findings at the end of the month. If anyone would like to join me for support I’d appreciate it!

Replies

• montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I have major issues with aspartame... if I have too much of it during the day and I end up with a migraine. Took me years of suffering and numerous doctor visits before a naturopath told me that was most likely the cause of my ongoing headaches/migraines.

I still have issues occasionally, but not as bad as before... because now I actually take the time to read the labels! LOL

If you are quitting "cold turkey" you may have headaches for the first 2 or 3 days, but stick it ou and you feel much better. Good luck!! :smile:
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    interesting but scary! :o
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i stopped chewing all gum because i found out it had that in it! i don't know whether to trust it or not! LOL
  • harm_ny
    harm_ny Posts: 21
    Options
    It could be a big help. I used to be an avid sugar-free gum chewer, but it makes me chest really tight and I feel like I can't breathe so...I stopped chewing.
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    Skip the diet soda all together. I switched to decaf tea in cold water instead.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Aspartame and all other fake sugars really mess with me. Migraines, nausea, etc. I don't touch the stuff. My motto is, if great grandma didn't eat it, than neither am I! This includes margarine and other processed stuff for the most part. These types of fake sugar have also been associated with cancers, bloating, and making you gain even more weight. MORE weight!! WTH right??
  • Mr_C
    Mr_C Posts: 16
    Options
    Years ago I had joint pain that kept getting progressively worse for about a year. My back would hurt every night and I would have to sleep in the fetal position to be comfortable. I have an adjustable select comfort bed, so I tried adjusting it to no avail. I also had sore hands/wrists and thought I was getting carpal tunnel syndrome (I also work at a desk). A coworker was telling me I should try to stop aspartame for a few weeks and then drink it again when I was "off" of it and I would see how bad it made me feel. I decided to try it.

On day 2 of the "no aspartame diet" I noticed I slept through the night without any back pain! This was completely unexpected as I wasn't planning on feeling any changes when I quit it. Same thing the next night, I haven't had that back pain since. It took about 2 weeks for my hands/wrists to feel better, but the pain faded there also. I have been staying away from aspartame for 5 years now and the pain has stayed away also.

I fear that chemicals such as aspartame have unintended consequences that we don't yet understand.

I hope you have as good of success being off of it as I did!
  • brazilian27
    Options
    I'm additcted to sugar free kind..I have anxiety and somehow emotional eater! (embarasing but it true) chewing keeps my anxiety under control :(
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You're going to get super-aids from gum. You've been warned.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    NO! NOT super aids!!! NO! I have so much to live for! :(
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I can't eat any of the artificial sweeteners. They tweak my system bad and I feel like garbage. I know other people live on the stuff but for me it's better to use things like xylitol, erithritol, honey and stevia. I try not to use a whole lot of any of that but Stevia though. Xylitol can give you diarrhea if you get to much. Good luck!
  • Meg1077
    Meg1077 Posts: 11
    Options
    Well I just finished my last diet pepsi for the month! I'm with you.... God help my husband LOL
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners = migraines like woah.

I don't chew sugar free gum, nor do I drink diet BUT I'll support you!