Best time to weigh yourself? First thing in the morning or before bedtime?

Options
KetoWithMrsPenn
KetoWithMrsPenn Posts: 17 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I notice that when i weigh myself in the morning i am like 2/3 less than when i weigh myself before i go to bed. So which weight should i consider? First weight in the morning or last weight before going to bed?

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,736 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I prefer to weigh first thing in the morning, before I eat anything. I have weighed in the evening, but it seems to be higher due to what I've eaten and how much salt I've consumed. It doesn't really matter as long as you're consistent with when you weigh and you observe the long-term trend.:)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh in the morning, after I pee and before I consume any liquids or foods. I feel like being "empty" is a more true weight.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Whichever you choose, just be consistent. Daily fluctuations are normal, so look at the long term trend. I don't own a scale so I need to wait until I get to the gym. By the time I get there, I've had several cups of coffee and a bowl of cereal, I'm also weighing myself with clothes on. I probably weigh a few pounds less because of the clothes, but it doesn't matter. I won't look any different.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I prefer to weigh in the morning, after I pee and before I consume any liquids or foods. I feel like being "empty" is a more true weight.

This. Exercise, fluids, sodium intake, meal timing related to weighing etc all contribute to weight during the day, and these things are not likely to be consistent.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Mornings are more likely to offer the most flattering weight more particularly after your morning “routine” and before you have anything to drink or eat
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    First thing. I don't consider it flattering, just less prone to transient swings. While I know I am in deficit, I ignore any readings higher than my previous recorded weight. I am trying to track changes in body mass and you cannot gain body mass with a calorie deficit. I will pay attention to spikes and dips more when in maintenance but on the way down I only care about the dips until I get below goal. Then I will keep losing until the spikes are below goal.
  • joyily562
    joyily562 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Definitely first thing in the morning after using the restroom. Personally every Wednesday morning.