Newly diagnosed with diabetes and need help with diabetic exchange diet

Options
I was diagnosed as Type 2 on Thursday. I’m supposed to adhere to a 1,200 calorie a day diet based on the diabetic exchange plan, and my doctor gave me this sheet. And I totally don’t understand how this works.

Am I missing something? Where are the vegetables? How does one exchange equal three ounces of chicken in the example? Do you have to eat the same for every meal (e.g., breakfast is always one fruit, one meat, etc.)? I was so shocked and scared when the NP that handed me this and shortly explained it, I thought I understood it, but then she started looking at my feet and couldn’t feel a pulse and ordered a scary ABI test (which I had yesterday and don’t feel it went well).

So far, I’ve just been keeping to 1,200 calories, and going to the gym every day to walk for an hour, but I feel like not following the diet is not really following instructions.

Sorry if this is rambling, I’m waffling between being devastated to tears, feeling confident (“I got this!”) and “What the f*** does it matter what I eat? This is basically a death sentence I brought on myself anyway.”, which brings more tears and the cycle starts all over again.

And in the middle of all this, my friends are asking what’s going on with me and I’m too embarrassed to tell them, I’ve just been hiding at home since Thursday. I’ve only told my mom and sworn her to secrecy, but I’m visiting my family for Thanksgiving for the first time in years, and she’s already implied that it is now ruined.

I feel so scared and alone. If I could get my eating on track, at least I’d have that. Thanks for any help.

Replies

• collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm type 1, but had lots of time on exchanges for that and for another condition. I'll take a crack at this as best I can.

So for vegetables -- in the diabetes exchange diet, those are off of your free-food list. (This is part of why vegetables get a reputation for being "free" foods.) Eat what you like of the non-starchy veg, within reason, and as your calorie count allows.

I'm not sure how their sample meal plan is getting 3 oz of chicken for one exchange. I was always taught that one exchange = 1 oz, and that's what everything I google is telling me as well (I double checked just in case I was misremembering).

Yes -- you don't need to eat the same *foods* for every meal, but you need to eat the number of changes the same as they are prescribed. So that'll mean one fruit, one carb, one meat, and one fat for each breakfast. Ditto with how the lunch, dinner, and snacks are set up. At this point, at least. I was usually given a little more flexibility, but part of the key with type 2 is *consistent* carbs -- so that's why things are set as they are.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I would ask for a referral to a nutritionist for help....most Dr's have little training in nutrition in med school. I don't blame you for feeling scared...diabetes is an insidious disease that can cause a lot of health problems if not properly taken care of. I think there are some diabetes forums here.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I was looking at the handouts they gave you, and wondering why so many foods are crossed out. Did anyone explain this?
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Thank you music fan for correcting me...there can be some crazy nutritionists out there and I don't think they are regulated as Registered Dietician are.
  • KnitterNotAQuitter
    Options
    @rheddmobile I forgot to mention, the scribbling was me — on the front, trying to figure out how the diet worked, and on the back, crossing out food I don’t really care for or probably won’t eat. Sorry for the confusion.

Regarding my vitals, I’m on Januvia 100mg, my A1C was 6.4 and my blood glucose was 155. The NP said I don’t need to test ... yet. She gave me the diet and only 90 days worth or medication. I have a follow-up appointment in a month and new labs in three months. I think she wanted to give me tough love which she referred to as “medical blackmail.”
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    I would ask for a referral to a nutritionist for help....most Dr's have little training in nutrition in med school. I don't blame you for feeling scared...diabetes is an insidious disease that can cause a lot of health problems if not properly taken care of. I think there are some diabetes forums here.

This would be a helpful option.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I just hate when the MD throws you a book and says....there you go! Diabetes educator and nutritionalist should be referred for you and demand it!
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    The good news is that 6.4 is not that high! You are very lucky to have been diagnosed at an early stage.

I urge you to disregard the recommendation not to test. I'm not sure why doctors do this, mine did it too, but he sure changed his tune after seeing my lab results. Without a meter you are shooting in the dark. A cheap meter costs ten dollars at Walmart, and you can get the best rated one available with everything else required to test for forty on Amazon.

I've never been on Januvia, but Januvia supposedly doesn't cause low blood sugar, so it's not as critical for you not to skip meals as it would be for someone on insulin or a sulfonylurea like glimeperide. What you need to worry about is not eating too many carbs at one time, and especially not eating too many quick acting carbs such as refined grains and added sugars. Slow acting carbs such as the ones in fruit or beans affect different people very differently, which is one reason to test - for example, I can eat a huge serving of potatoes with no problems, but only a small amount of rice spikes me. A friend of mine has trouble with fruit which I am fine with. Unless you test, you are just guessing. The goal is to keep your blood glucose within safe levels.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    By the way, Thanksgiving is a terrible meal to have to figure out for diabetics! What a time to be diagnosed. But turkey is carb free. See if you can bring some sugar free cranberry sauce if you like cranberry sauce, and make sure there are some non-starchy vegetables available that aren't drenched in gravy or marshmellows.
  • dustbringer
    dustbringer Posts: 1,621 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, it looks like on Thanksgiving you could have a serving each of turkey, a dinner roll, mashed potatoes, milk, and free vegetables with a serving of fat to cook your veggies or for salad dressing. :)

For your "bedtime snack" you could make pumpkin mousse by whipping up a serving of condensed milk and folding in a serving of pumpkin with some pumpkin spices.

And if your family eats Thanksgiving dinner like mine, we linger around the table talking long enough that maybe you'll have a long enough time at the table for it to be lunch, then your break, then dinner.

I don't know much about the exchanges (even though a few people close to me have diabetes), so don't take my suggestions too literally! Definitely take everyone's advice and see a proper nutritionist! But I wanted to give you some hope that Thanksgiving is not ruined. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Have some talks with your mom so she can be chilled out by Thanksgiving. Geez. <3

Yes, regarding meals being mostly the same everyday on this plan.e.g., breakfast is always one fruit, one meat, etc.)

You have veggies available to you: Bean sprouts, green beans, broccoli, carrots, celery, cooked mushrooms, onions, red or green peppers, cooked spinach, tomato, cooked zucchini, spinach, cucumber, zucchini, dill pickles.

Good luck. The beginning of any new experience can feel overwhelming. It will get better.

If you can find a Registered Dietician, you would (I hope) get someone who explains things to you better.

• ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Oh, honey. It's going to be okay. Diabetes is not a death sentence. You absolutely have it in your own hands to improve your condition. I was diagnosed with T2 eighteen months ago. I came to MFP with the intent of monitoring my sugars and starches, and soon moved to keeping track of my calories as well. Over the past year my A1c has gone from 7.9 to 5.4, and serum glucose from 157 to 94. Today I'm below the diabetes threshold and even the pre-diabetes threshold.

Insist on that referral to a Diabetes Educator and RD. That diet sheet you were given is definitely outdated. There are lots of people on this forum who have their diabetes well under control by diet alone, but even if you need medication, you can still make your life very comfortable and healthy. You're not alone.

And that was an awful thing for your mother to say. One person's diet is not what ruins Thanksgiving -- unkind and rigid attitudes do.
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    The main part of the exchange diet you should focus on is the carbs, since that is what will cause your blood sugars to go up the most. The simplest way to count carbs is to remember that 15g carb = 1 carb exchange, so take the carb information from the Nutritional Facts label and divide that by 15. That's how many carb exchanges the food has. Fruit exchanges (if you have any) are also 15g carbs each but are exclusive to fruits. Meat exchanges (I'm assuming that 1oz = 1 meat exchange) are 7g protein, but only if there's actual meat in it as carb exchanges can also include 2g protein.