Thanksgiving appetizer suggestions that travel well

Options
buffalogal42
buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
I will be going to my sister’s for Thanksgiving - she is about an hour and a half away. She is doing the turkey, potatoes and a TBD veggie side dish. My mom is doing pies. I am in charge of appetizers and/or an additional side. I usually just buy a cheese/sausage tray and some salads/dips from the grocery store, but if I can think of some good ideas, I am inclined to make something this year. I would have to prep stuff Wednesday night and it would have to travel well. I probably won’t be able to use the oven or anything once I get there. Only family restrictions is a nut allergy.

Any ideas?

Replies

• ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How about a shrimp cocktail or cut up fresh veggies with a spinach dip?
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    No oven, travel time... Will need crockpot and/or cooler.
    Hot. ? Macaroni and Cheese. Boursin Spinach Artichoke Dip w/pita chips. Should stay at least warm while driving ?
    Cold. ? Cranberry Apple Chutney. Jello salad/Orange Fluff. Deviled eggs with feta cheese, lemon, asparagus tip garnish. Three Leaf Salad with homemade poppy seed dressing-excellent.
    Good luck, hope you find something you want to make.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Will you have a cooler to put the food in?

I made this one year. Soooo good! I bought pita chip instead of toasting bread or pitas.
    http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/whipped-feta-with-cucumbers

This one also turned out well! I kept all the ingredients separate and people just put what they wanted in a plate and topped it with the dressing.
    http://www.staceysnacksonline.com/2010/06/refreshing-appetizer-prosciutto-w-melon.html
  • buffalogal42
    Options
    Yep, have both a crockpot and a cooler. Great ideas so far. Love prosciutto/melon!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Turkey Swedish meat balls.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My family always makes "beef rollups" at gatherings: dried beef slices spread w/cream cheese, rolled up and sliced into bite sized pieces. Sometimes we add a dill pickle spear to the roll. These babies are always the first to go.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Does it need to be traditional?

Hummus or roasted red pepper dip and antipasti (picked veggies/olives/cheeses)
    Squash or pumpkin soup, pureed cauliflower cheese soup, beer cheese soup with apple - you can make it the night before and reheat in a crockpot when you get there
    Goat cheese and cranberry empanadas
    Mini-quiches
    Orzo salad with lemon dressing - kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, spinach, feta, cucumber. Tastes great at room temperature, no mayo or anything that will spoil quickly
    Mini meatballs with cranberry or chili glaze (or spicy Korean pork meatballs)
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Bacon wrapped dates.

Mmmm. Now I'm thinking about them. Drats!
  • purplefizzy
    purplefizzy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Yes to dates!
    I like to stuff dates with a bit of creamy bleu cheese, and wrap in prosciutto.

You can make a balsamic-fig-mustard dip that everyone will think you are brilliant for, to dip these in and spread on cheeses, crackers, anything really-

Combine (about 1:1:1, or to taste):
    -balsamic reduction (pre-made or make your own, watch it carefully as it gets thick, I've scalded it before)
    -good quality fig preserves
    -grainy mustard

Super good paired with the dates, a fresh mozzarella/buratta, a handful of arugula/rocket, some quick-pickled or caramelized red onions (toss them in the crockpot if you have time, just sliced onions, tossed with some spray oil and sea salt)
    Add sliced baguette or whole-grain crackers (I like miltons)
    Let people get creative combining things ;)

• buffalogal42
    Options
    Yes to dates!
    I like to stuff dates with a bit of creamy bleu cheese, and wrap in prosciutto.

You can make a balsamic-fig-mustard dip that everyone will think you are brilliant for, to dip these in and spread on cheeses, crackers, anything really-

Combine (about 1:1:1, or to taste):
    -balsamic reduction (pre-made or make your own, watch it carefully as it gets thick, I've scalded it before)
    -good quality fig preserves
    -grainy mustard

Super good paired with the dates, a fresh mozzarella/buratta, a handful of arugula/rocket, some quick-pickled or caramelized red onions (toss them in the crockpot if you have time, just sliced onions, tossed with some spray oil and sea salt)
    Add sliced baguette or whole-grain crackers (I like miltons)
    Let people get creative combining things ;)

Bacon wrapped dates.

Mmmm. Now I'm thinking about them. Drats!

These sound so good! Thanks for the ideas
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I was thinking dates too, stuffed with goat cheese and a pecan, drizzled with honey and topped with flake salt.
    Stuffed mushrooms with cream chz, parm, bacon and green onion...they travel well and you can throw them in with whatever is cooking in the oven. They are done when the m
    Mushrooms release their juices.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Deviled eggs- you can transport them made or just cook and shell the eggs at home and make them at your sister's house.
    Raw vegetables, olives, pickles were always standard with my family on the holidays.
    Pigs in a blanket
    Corn or bean salad
    Corn bread
    Apple salad
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    • Cheese (Gouda/mimolette/brie/cheddar)
    • Olives
    • Crackers/baguettes
    • Roasted Garlic (amazing)
    • Honey
    • Almonds/walnuts
    • Peppered salami
    • Grapes
    • Red wine

Heavenly appetizer with no work other than cutting and throwing on a plate (sans roasting your garlic before you go).
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    We always seem to go with these ...
    tray of cut of veggies with a dip of some sort (radishes, cauliflower, carrots, celery, broccoli, bell peppers)
    Tray of cheese cubes/slices and pepperoni with crackers

A new addition the past couple of years is winning out over the traditional 2 ... a casserole dish of taco salad for dipping into with tortilla chips.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Homemade cranberry sauce is extremely easy to make and far surpasses any of the stuff in a can. It will also impress anyone who's never had it before. If it's packed in a cooler with ice packs, it should travel reasonably well.

I just use the recipe on the back of the bag of cranberries: water (or orange juice if you want), cranberries, sugar. Boil the water/juice and sugar together to make a simple syrup, stir in cranberries, simmer until most of the cranberries have burst. Pour it into the serving bowl and refrigerate until it's set; I usually make it the day before and refrigerate it overnight.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    My family always makes "beef rollups" at gatherings: dried beef slices spread w/cream cheese, rolled up and sliced into bite sized pieces. Sometimes we add a dill pickle spear to the roll. These babies are always the first to go.

I make something similar to the above as a cheese ball. Dried beef chopped up, cream cheese, 1 t. Worcestershire sauce, and chopped onion. We spread it on crackers. Make it the night before and refrigerate. It travels very well.
  • brittaney10811
    brittaney10811 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I'm having a wisdom tooth pulled before an early thanksgiving this year, so I'm making a fresco and corn soup from skinnytaste website. I figure I can take it along in a crockpot and it should do just fine. you could always do it with small cups for appetizers and they can sip on it.
    https://www.skinnytaste.com/creamy-corn-soup-with-queso-fresco-and/