Please help! SOS I need food/recipe ideas you don't have to chew

Options
I'm putting out an SOS To MFP! Okay, so my household is about to encounter an interesting and painful food challenge. Tomorrow sis will have the first of two surgeries on her jaw. Because of the surgery she won't be able to chew for a little bit. And to make things even more interesting is sis is a picky eater. Other than bananas and mashed potatoes and broth, what other foods can we add to the menu? Recipes would be great too!

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It’s going to be boring for a while. This is a recipe for a complete meal replacement.

https://www.completefoods.co/diy/recipes/brets-soylent-oat-rice-complete-low-price

Check out the junior foods aisle in the store for ideas. Applesauce. Yogurt.

When I graduated from a completely liquid diet I imagined I was a six month old baby being reintroduced to new foods. I don’t know how you did it but baby got what we were eating only mashed up.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    All soups can be put into a vitamix or blender to puree.
    I have had a lot of oral surgeries and soups were my best friend for variety of flavors and ease to drink.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Smoothies could help get a range of macros - you could add fruit, greens, protein powder, fat (avo, nut butter, coconut milk, full fat dairy etc)

Soup - blended to the texture she can handle

What about scrambled eggs? I find them easy to eat without chewing (but I may be chewing more than your sister is capable of)

Porridge? Overnight oats? Perhaps using quick oats would make it more "mushy" and not have such a chunky texture.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I like those toddler squeeze things, as snacks. Most only have about 100 calories, so I’m sure you’ll need other stuff too. I’m really hooked on the pumpkin ancient grains one. Maybe try some of those, and mimic the ones that are good, in bigger quantity. Pickle pops would be good for cravings. Miso soup is good, and you can make soup from refried pinto beans with chicken broth.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Can she eat yogurt? How about mixing soft things into the yogurt--flavored protein powder, PB2, pureed fruit?

Cream of wheat or grits might be alternatives to oatmeal if she gets tired of that. (If you're new to grits, try them with plenty of salt and pepper, and some butter. They're also good with cheese.)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd check out some of the stuff in the baby/toddler food aisles for ideas. Obviously baby food is an option, but its not very flavorful. They do make those squeeze pouches of different fruits though.

Soups, oatmeal, yogurt, pudding, smoothies, tuna, mashed sweet potatoes, and peanut butter are the other things I can think of off the top of my head.
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Beans, well cooked, become very soft and float in their own gravy.
    Many soups like tomato, squash, and split pea are perfect.
    Most soups and even stews will work if meats and vegetables are minced or finely diced.
    Grits or polenta.
    Ignoring the "picky eater" bit here, as I would in my own kitchen.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, I am going through this with my best friend right now. Everything is difficult to swallow and it hurt him. He is drinking light ensure right now and soup. The ensure comes in a creamy version and a fruit version for some variety. Tomato soup and broths has been his favorites so far. Cream of mushroom was still to chunky.

When my Dad was sick, I boiled broccoli and/or cauliflower in chicken broth then pureed and stirred in some cheese until it melted. This would work with potatoes or almost any veggie. I also warmed chicken broth and in a bowl beat an egg slowly add some of the broth a little at a time stirring until the temperature of the egg is close to the pot of broth. Then add the mixture back to the broth. It is called tempering. It is how they make Greek lemon soup. Egg are good sources of protein and you can cook them soft. I how this helps.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Ice cream imo lol

Really tho.. when I had all my wisdom teeth pulled I lived on smoothies, yogurt with protein powder and peanut butter, soup, oatmeal, scrambled eggs, guacamole, mashed cauliflower/sweet potato/butternut squash and ice cream
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I just had jaw surgery on monday. Lots of icecream, Smoothies, Scrambled eggs with cottage cheese melted in, Pudding i made from peanutbutter and cottage cheese, soup, Mashed potatoes with gravy. Thankfully i was able to graduate to diced vegetables (I tried to bite a piece of broccoli that was to big and oh my god it hurt LOL I got hurt by broccoli ;D )
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Pureed soups, smoothies/protein drinks, hummus, yogurt, egg drop soup, porridge
  • MoonriverDreamer
    MoonriverDreamer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is a little late, but I make a green smoothie with the following: almonds, walnuts or other nuts (grind up first); then add dry ingredients (artificial sweetener if desired, cinnamon, chia seeds, flax seeds -- maybe cocoa powder); then dump in a few frozen strawberries (unsweetened), a large fistful of uncooked baby spinach; add 1-2 c. almond milk to the "fill" line. It's green but doesn't taste like spinach. To give it a richer flavor I sometimes add a few drops of vanilla extract. YUMMMMMMM!
  • emilyofmysfamcottage
    Options
    Thank you all so much!!! It is greatly appreciated!!!
  • dawkinsc2
    dawkinsc2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is 1 cup spinach, 1 cup berries, 1/2 cup ice, 1/2 cup white grape juice, 2 T. hemp protein. Put it all in a blender and then drink through a straw. This is my daily breakfast and it keeps me full until lunch. Hope your sister is eating her favorite foods soon!
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, soft bananas, yogurt, refried beans