Does lack of sleep really effect weight loss?

Options
I do not get enough sleep. Usually around 5 hours a night. I know for some people this is okay, but for me it is not. I have heard that not getting enough sleep can effect your weight loss and I am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this or if it is just another one of those myths.

I work out 5 or 6 times a week in the morning before my kids get up so it is not keeping me from working out and has no effect in that area. I probably make poor food choices when I am really tired so I can understand how that is a problem.

Has anyone here changed their sleep patterns and had a positive impact on your weight loss?

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Lack of Sleep
    Studies find that the less people sleep, the more likely they are to be overweight or obese. People who report sleeping 5 hours a night, for example, are much more likely to become obese compared with people who sleep 7–8 hours a night.

People who sleep fewer hours also seem to prefer eating foods that are higher in calories and carbohydrates, which can lead to overeating, weight gain, and obesity over time.

Hormones that are released during sleep control appetite and the body's use of energy. For example, insulin controls the rise and fall of blood sugar levels during sleep. People who don't get enough sleep have insulin and blood sugar levels that are similar to those in people who are likely to have diabetes.

Also, people who don't get enough sleep regularly seem to have high levels of a hormone called ghrelin (which causes hunger) and low levels of a hormone called leptin (which normally helps curb hunger).

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/obe/obe_causes.html

Studies: Those Who Sleep Less Often Weigh More
    How the hormones leptin and ghrelin set the stage for overeating was recently explored in two studies conducted at the University of Chicago in Illinois and at Stanford University in California.

In the Chicago study, doctors measured levels of leptin and ghrelin in 12 healthy men. They also noted their hunger and appetite levels. Soon after, the men were subjected to two days of sleep deprivation followed by two days of extended sleep. During this time doctors continued to monitor hormone levels, appetite, and activity.

The end result: When sleep was restricted, leptin levels went down and ghrelin levels went up. Not surprisingly, the men's appetite also increased proportionally. Their desire for high carbohydrate, calorie-dense foods increased by a whopping 45%.

Others Who Viewed This
    Page Also Saw:How Much Sleep Do You Need?
    Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS): Causes Symptoms Treatments and More
    Child Sleep: Recommended Hours For Every Age
    Sleep Apnea Symptoms in Adults and Children
    Sleep Deprivation Blurs Moral Judgment
    Hematoma Overview: Bruises and Blood Spots Under the Skin
    Pregnancy Week by Week - Weeks 1-4
    It was in the Stanford study, however, that the more provocative meaning of the leptin-ghrelin effect came to light. In this research -- a joint project between Stanford and the University of Wisconsin -- about 1,000 volunteers reported the number of hours they slept each night. Doctors then measured their levels of ghrelin and leptin, as well as charted their weight.

The result: Those who slept less than eight hours a night not only had lower levels of leptin and higher levels of ghrelin, but they also had a higher level of body fat. What's more, that level of body fat seemed to correlate with their sleep patterns. Specifically, those who slept the fewest hours per night weighed the most.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/lose-weight-while-sleeping?page=2
  • JaydeSkye
    JaydeSkye Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    If you don't think sleep affects your weight - try this: wake up early and weigh yourself at 5am. Before eatting/drinking.
    Then the next day, get more sleep and weigh yourself later in the morning at say 8am before eatting/drinking and see if there's a difference. I can gain 1-2lbs from not sleeping correctly.
  • cornerofgreystreet
    cornerofgreystreet Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hormones that are released during sleep control appetite and the body's use of energy. For example, insulin controls the rise and fall of blood sugar levels during sleep. People who don't get enough sleep have insulin and blood sugar levels that are similar to those in people who are likely to have diabetes.

Wow, I hadn't heard that before. I will be making more of an effort to get more sleep! Thanks for the info.
  • pp67
    pp67 Posts: 26
    Options
    I think it does... Yesterday morning I was up early, after only having 5 hours sleep, to take my young kids to school, weighed in @ 250.8 lbs. I came back home and crawled back into bed for another couple of hours. I weighed myself again after those two extra hours sleep and weighed 250 lbs, I'd lost 800 grams! And that was after having two cups of coffee in the morning before taking the kids to school.