What's your favourite smoothie recipe

Options
BadHabit18
BadHabit18 Posts: 4 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Putting my blender to use finally, anyone got any good recipes they would like to share?
2xg1negzfbso.jpg

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat my calories
  • rhauser44
    rhauser44 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My go-to simple smoothie in the morning consists of 1 medium-sized avocado, 1/2 frozen banana, 1 serving of ground flax seed, 1 serving of whey protein. I use a hand blender to blend it all together and drink. It looks very similar to your photo, except it looks like you are also including some sort of green vegetable - maybe spinach? Spinach or Kale doesn't break down very well using a hand blender.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I have a variety, but lately I like avocado, kale or spinach, protein powder, frozen strawberries, and coconut milk or homemade nut milk (I include nuts in my nut milk so it's higher fat than storebought). Sometimes I add flaxseed. Also a fan of my Thanksgiving special: pumpkin (or other winter squash, pre-roasted and chilled), spinach or kale, cranberries, protein powder, the coconut or nut milk. That's actually good with avocado added also and the berries varied or mixed.

I go through phases -- usually I like to eat breakfast, but sometimes I find myself enjoying smoothies. I've been getting back into morning running and they save me time and taste great after a run when I'm normally not in the mood to eat until a bit longer than I have.
  • smarie1111
    smarie1111 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    To get the spinach and Kale to break down well, create ice cubes with it first and just pop the cubes into your smoothie. I use Kale, Flax, and water and freeze into ice cubes. The water helps cut the calories of the smoothie. To make a smoothie I use 3 or 4 kale flax cubes, 1/2 cup blue berries, 1/4 cup plan yogurt, 1/4 cup Kefir and sometimes 1/2 banana. Alternately, I cube and freeze any fruit in the house that is on the verge of spoiling and use in place of all or part of the blueberries. Kale and pineapple go great together and only takes a very small amount of pineapple but I've frozen watermelon, apples, cantaloupe, grapes, just about anything.
  • RachellaJ
    RachellaJ Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Half a banana, plain yogurt, frozen blueberries, fresh pineapple and spinach. I love this especially when it’s hot outside and I wake up so thirsty. The frozen blueberries make it a nice purple color and you don’t have to use ice, which waters it down imo. I usually get fresh pineapple that the store has already cut up just for convenience. It’s a nice mix of tangy and sweet, but not too sweet. I whip this up with my immersion blender in the big plastic cup that came with it and can have breakfast in about 60 seconds.
  • pisces1983
    pisces1983 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Spinach, carrots, mint, 1/2 a banana, blackberries, and 1/2 cup of light and fit Greek yogurt.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Berry blend of strawberries/blackberries/blueberries/raspberries, flax seeds, spinach, chocolate protein powder and coconut water.
  • EJBarner
    EJBarner Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My partner and I make smoothies every morning for breakfast and LOVE them. So much room for variety, deliciousness, nutrients, and protein. Our go-to recipe has a number of ingredients but is a great base and makes a fantastic smoothie every time. Frozen fruit and spinach help cut down on costs, as does buying dry ingredients in bulk when possible.

Recipe:

140g (1 cup) frozen fruit #1
    140g (1 cup) frozen fruit #2
    1/2 cup milk (or non-dairy milk)
    1/2 cup OJ
    1/2 cup water (we sub whey liquid if we have it)
    1 nugget frozen spinach
    50g Greek yogurt
    50g cottage cheese
    10g chia
    8g flax
    8g oats (gluten-free for celiacs)
    1 scoop (usually 32g) flavoured protein powder
    any 'flavour extras' (PB2, powdered almond, cocoa powder, etc)

Serves 2. We put ingredients through cottage cheese into the blender to 'steep' (make the frozen ingredients easier to blend) and mix the rest of the ingredients together in a separate bowl with a little water so the chia swell up and to take the 'edge' off the protein powder if necessary. Leave for 5-10 mins to shower or whatever, then add the bowl ingredients into the blender, blend, and serve. Soooo good every time.

Some favourite variations include:

- 'PB&J' (raspberries, strawberries, vanilla protein powder, add PB2)
    - chocolate blueberry (blueberries, peaches, chocolate protein powder, add cocoa powder)
    - apple berry crumble (apples, blackberries or cherries, cinnamon bun protein powder, add powdered almond if desired)
    - tropical (mangoes or peaches, pineapple, mango protein powder)

You're only limited by your imagination and the ingredients at hand. :) I know every breakfast is a delight for us. Good luck!
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I like simple - whole milk greek yogurt, banana, frozen strawberries and juicy pineapple.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    make a smoothie every morning for my husband and daughter (18 months old) and we all LOVE them. Vitamix
    2 bananas
    1 cup milk
    splash of oj
    handful of kale
    cup of frozen fruit
    1/2 cup or so of greek yogurt
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Chocolate protein
    Milk
    Macadamia oil
    Ice
    Water

Voilà, iced coffee. (makes a nice change to normal coffee when the weather heats up - it has been in the 30s - Celsius - where I am recently)