best tips after a weekend of eating unhealthy food?

Options
what do y'all do after you eat poorly over the weekend? usually, I get discouraged and let myself slide with cheats for the rest of the week, then fall back into old habits. but, i'm determined not to this time.

does this ever happen to you, if so what do you do to get back on track?

Replies

• cecile97
    cecile97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @Noel_57 alrighty, thanks. just looking for personal things - for example, my sister works out first thing Monday morning and then splurges on her favorite expensive smoothie afterward. she says that usually resets her for the week. some people do other things.

sometimes something special is involved after cheating for more than just a meal! but, depends on the person I guess, i'm just looking to try something new. :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Thirding the just get back on track.
  • cecile97
    Options
    @Noel_57 yeah, that's exactly what I have done in the past! but it's two very different extremes- either I push myself way too hard, or I stop caring altogether. crazy business. i will just try to correct my behavior before it gets there, thanks for the advice!
  • cecile97
    Options
    also thanks @Alatariel75, that definitely makes sense. why correct abnormal behavior with another abnormal behavior?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Drink some extra water to help flush the extra sodium you probably consumed and just get back on track.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What above said.done now so just keep doing the things that work
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thats why I borrow a fast day from the 5:2 diet:)
    I Usually eat a lot in the weekends, but then i eat VERY little monday...and that seems to balance it out nicely according to my scale...done that for several months now, which showed that 1 fastday a week keeps my weight stable.
  • active_kate
    active_kate Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My deficit is large enough that occasionally going over is factored in. Sometimes, I'm just hungry - I'll end up in the 2,000 to 2,400 KCal range.

I remember that weight loss is a journey, and that what I did yesterday doesn't affect what I do today. If I'm feeling particularly good, I'll go for walks or do other exercise to help get back on my desired timeline, but I'm careful to avoid the binge-purge(through exercise) cycle, since that leads to yoyoing and failure. It's better to be good because I can, rather than trying to "un-do damage". It's not damage - I made a choice yesterday to eat more, and today, I'm choosing not to.

It's faulty logic to think "I was bad before, so I might as well be bad now". Willpower varies, appetite varies, but each day is taken on its own. Let the past go, and let today's Calories be today's Calories, and yesterday be yesterday's Calories.
  • bec71
    bec71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just usually tighten my calories over the next few days or eat 200 to 300 less for a day or 2. Works for me
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    Options
    First of all, when I'm actively losing weight, I eat according to my plan every day.

However, if I've decided to take a diet break on a weekend, I return to normal on Monday.
  • displaced1
    displaced1 Posts: 73 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I try to analyze what's going on, somewhat. Did I binge on treats that should not have even been in the house? Did I go out to eat and choose 2,000 calorie meals at restaurants? Did I mindlessly eat snacks?

If there was something that can be tweaked, I allow it as a lifelong learning lesson - finding my trigger foods, setting myself up for success instead of failure, etc.

I also think about some idioms- if you have a tire pop on your car, don't cut the other three tires. If you fall down a few steps, don't throw yourself down the whole flight.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a fan of loads of veggies and fruit salad, but there are weekends when it's all pizza and cookies and bread heavy. I've done diving liveaboards where it's been three course meals and not many vegetables and put on 7 lbs over the trip.

Not that any of that is BAD necessarily, but a full weekend of it make me feel 'heavy'. So I tend to make a massive bowl of fruit salad, or eat a tonne of veggies, and that gets my taste buds back into eating all the other good stuff. I tend to CRAVE fresh food when I've been eating a lot of processed stuff.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you are falling back into old habits, then you haven't actually learned the habits of eating as if you wanted to be slim and strong. Keep working at it. Each day is a perfect time to start fresh, with no need to do penance or fasting or cleansing as a consequence of a cheat meal, day, week, month, year, or life.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I would make sure that I had foods prepared for the week. I wouldn't fast or restrict, but tighten up. I'm not sure how your normal day looks, but maybe go for a few extra vegetables and cut out a treat or two. If you normally have a drink or soda, maybe skip that. And I would add an extra workout or try to get in some extra steps - nothing crazy extreme.

As others have said, make that U turn to get back on track.