Do you own a Taylor Food Scale? Opinions please

I have a Target gift card and need a new food scale and Taylor is the only brand they sell. But they have a few negative reviews. Like it / hate it? Thanks!

Replies

• bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Just looked on Amazon - and didn't realize they have multiple models. The one I'm looking at is under $20
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    I have two of these. These are the ones I have. They are both Taylor "Biggest Loser" scales.
    d4kt72t8bccs.png
    2zqcfpv2f67v.png

I have had the gray one for over 5 years and the white one for about two years. I have never had issues, aside from changing batteries. They have been pretty used and abused (both DH and I weigh everything). I would recommend them. But, I give a slight edge to the round one with the elevated base. It is easier to read if you have a bowl or plate on the scale.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    I’ve owned two Taylors and they both crapped out on me (one was super sensitive and wouldn’t give a consistent weight, the other refused to turn off). I would avoid it.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    I have a Taylor that I bought at Canadian Tire for under $20 and I like it just fine. I have had it for approximately two years. The only time I ever had wonky readings, I just had to replace the battery.
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    edited November 2017
    https://www.target.com/p/oxo-5lb-food-scale-with-pull-out-display/-/A-11144550#lnk=sametab
    I got this OXO food scale at Target two months ago. Target sells a bunch of other brands of scales if you're not seeing features you want in the Taylor offerings. I had the Oxo shipped to the store nearest me for free and picked it up there.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    I have one that I got from target about a year ago. It was on sale for $12. I like it and it does everything I need it to. The only reason I'm considering getting a new one is because I want one that has an elevated surface. It's a bit difficult to read the scale when there's a plate on it so I think having the elevated surface would help
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Yep, love my digital scale from Target. Mine has a removable metal bowl easy for cleaning. It ran me about $25. Taylor model # 1077.
  • HASWLRS
    HASWLRS Posts: 7,997 Member
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    I have one that I got from target about a year ago. It was on sale for $12. I like it and it does everything I need it to. The only reason I'm considering getting a new one is because I want one that has an elevated surface. It's a bit difficult to read the scale when there's a plate on it so I think having the elevated surface would help

You are right about it being hard to read when there is a plate on it. I just put my food in a bowl to weigh out, then I transfer to a plate if need be.
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Yep, love my digital scale from Target. Mine has a removable metal bowl easy for cleaning. It ran me about $25. Taylor model # 1077.

Would you recommend one with the removable bowl opposed to just one with the raised surface? I like the Taylor brand so I'm also looking for some input! (Sorry, not to steal your post OP!)
  • bebeisfit
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »

Would you recommend one with the removable bowl opposed to just one with the raised surface? I like the Taylor brand so I'm also looking for some input! (Sorry, not to steal your post OP!)

No problem!
  • bebeisfit
    Thanks everyone!
  • ElvenToad
    ElvenToad Posts: 644 Member
    Pro tip: Set bowl on scale, set plate on bowl, tare, add food to plate, see display much easier :)
  • ashley52601
    ashley52601 Posts: 42 Member
    I have the bottom one in the above photo with the round glass base. I've had it since 2009 and use it all day every day as I weigh ingredients for baking accuracy as well as calorie counting. Never had any reliability issues, only complaint I have is the inability to weigh a big, heavy, full stock pot but I'm sure most in this size range are not able to handle that much weight.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    I have the round one with the glass base. I mostly like it, but I'm not completely convinced it's 100% accurate. When I weigh in grams it will "slip" up or down as many as 3 grams. It's not an issue when I weigh in ounces.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited November 2017
    I have the round one with the glass base. I mostly like it, but I'm not completely convinced it's 100% accurate. When I weigh in grams it will "slip" up or down as many as 3 grams. It's not an issue when I weigh in ounces.

3 grams is just over 1/10th of an ounce so it likely wouldn't register at all. But that is the issue I had with my first scale.