Weights vs. Resistance bands

Options
What have you guys heard is better for you, but still get the results of Muscle toning and strength...Using weights like dumbells or using those stretchy resistance bands?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    What have you guys heard is better for you, but still get the results of Muscle toning and strength...Using weights like dumbells or using those stretchy resistance bands?
    The biggest difference is that weights have "negative" resistance and resistance during eccentric phase of lifting a weight. The eccentric phase is when muscle is actually broken down and is responsible for muscle soreness.

Elastic bands are "progressive" resistance meaning the more it's stretched, the higher the resistance. However as it retracts the resistance lessens, so essentially there is no eccentric phase.

Something is better than nothing, but if you want better results, use weights.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    Resistance is resistance. So long as your putting your muscles up against resistance, regardless of the source, you're doing a good thing. I use both, it just depends how I'm feeling. I like dumbbells and I like my resistance band. Sometimes I just use body weight (push ups, etc.). It just depends. It all works. Do what suits you best. Pick one you really like, or use all kinds. It doesn't matter, so long as your working those muscles.

I know people (in the older generation) that lift cans of food, or water bottles filled with sand. Like I said, and I believe it, resistance is resistance. It's just like..what weighs more...a pound of feathers, or a pound of bricks. A pound is a pound is a pound, ya know?

Do what you're comfortable with and remain consistent, you'll see results.

*smiles*

Jean
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above and since free weights can give you a full range of motion plus emphasis on stabilizers. But I use resistance bands for home workouts (cheap and don't need a wide variety) and when I travel.
  • jenmac82005
    Options
    ok, thanks!!
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference is that weights have "negative" resistance and resistance during eccentric phase of lifting a weight. The eccentric phase is when muscle is actually broken down and is responsible for muscle soreness.

Elastic bands are "progressive" resistance meaning the more it's stretched, the higher the resistance. However as it retracts the resistance lessens, so essentially there is no eccentric phase.

I've been using a band as part of a workout dvd, and they say to control the band during the stretch and the release, to get resistance both ways. Is that similar to the negative resistance of weights? I can definitely feel it on one side of my arm and then the other. I'm asking for a dumbbell set for Christmas, but I don't want to be wasting my effort with the band until then...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I've been using a band as part of a workout dvd, and they say to control the band during the stretch and the release, to get resistance both ways. Is that similar to the negative resistance of weights? I can definitely feel it on one side of my arm and then the other. I'm asking for a dumbbell set for Christmas, but I don't want to be wasting my effort with the band until then...

The thing is that bands have a resistance curve that pretty much the opposite of how muscles produce force. In other words, the bands provide the LEAST amount of resistance at the position (beginning of the movement) at the point where the muscles are capable of producing the MOST amount of force, and vice versa. That's not the best way to train a muscle.

For a variety of reasons, bands have important uses in training, but more as accessories than main tools, IMO. However, like ninerbuff said, anything is better than nothing, especially if you are just starting out. I just think that the more you progress in your lifting program, the less useful they are as the main source of resistance. They are not equivalent.

That's not meant to be negative against bands, just recommending that you match the tool with the purpose.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    The thing is that bands have a resistance curve that pretty much the opposite of how muscles produce force. In other words, the bands provide the LEAST amount of resistance at the position (beginning of the movement) at the point where the muscles are capable of producing the MOST amount of force, and vice versa. That's not the best way to train a muscle.

For a variety of reasons, bands have important uses in training, but more as accessories than main tools, IMO. However, like ninerbuff said, anything is better than nothing, especially if you are just starting out. I just think that the more you progress in your lifting program, the less useful they are as the main source of resistance. They are not equivalent.

That's not meant to be negative against bands, just recommending that you match the tool with the purpose.
    This is absolutely correct. DOMS is usually caused by the eccentric part of an exercise, so if you aren't feeling the soreness you may have expected with strength training with bands, then the reason is because of the lack of negative resistance.