Reactive Hypoglycemia Diet Help

Options
I used to work out 4-6 hours daily running and weights, vegetarian, drank 2 qts of water to start my day - yeah, it was my life until 7 years ago when I gave it up. During that time, I would work out for hours and feel shaky and severe hunger - I learned to just bring sugar cubes with me to curb the symptoms. It never occurred to me that was something to be concerned about. Well, 7 years later and I'm obese and I recently had a hypoglycemia test - failed miserably. That was not a good experience - stopped the test 3 hours in. I am still waiting on final diagnosis. Huge wake up call for me! In the meantime, I have put myself on a high protein & loads of veggies diet. I cut out all my Pepsi, chocolate, breads, sugar. I am not sure if I am doing this diet right - 1,200 calorie limit. High protein and loads of veggies - it sounds like a starving diet but its almost too much to eat to get to 1,200. Well, I lost 12 pounds in 8 days - that concerns me. I was under the impression that I would only lose 2lbs weekly on that diet. Is it because I am so fat that the weight loss is rapid in the beginning? I'm not complaining by any means - just concerned I am doing more harm than good.

Replies

• Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What is your age, sex, height, activity level? You lost water weight, it's impossible to lose fat that quickly.
  • oddawa1974
    oddawa1974 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    43, female, 5"6, moderate activity level - I walk anywhere from 1-9 miles a day. (I'm a outreach worker)
  • oddawa1974
    Options
    252 lbs 8 days ago. Today I'm 240 lbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia (and insulin resistance) as well, but only if I eat a carb heavy diet. If carbs are not my primary fuel source, I rely on fats for energy so I never get large blood glucose swings. Now my energy is steady.

You may want to look into a low carb high fat diet. High protein is good for muscle retention (with exercise) but fat is an energy source that protein can't really be. It mainly comes down to fat or carbs for the best fuel.
  • oddawa1974
    Options
    Okay, I'm currently working on a high protein diet - lean meat. Thanks for advice. This is just so much to learn.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    1200 gross? That is very likely way too low, especially for your activity level. Have you used the guided set up to see what number MFP give you?
  • jnmalsch
    jnmalsch Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have reactive hypoglycemia. I eat 3 meals a day NO snacks that is important for me I eat between 80-100 g of protein a day and 100 or less carbs. Protein and produce only. I haven't had an episode. I too was using sugar for the symptoms and gained 100 pounds before I did something
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The diet for the diabetic and the hypoglycaemic is very similar. Please carry a snack high in protein and fat with you (and a little carb) just in case.

Half a protein bar, Edamame beans, cheese and crackers, nuts, Muscle Milk and hikers mix will all do the trick.

A sudden loss like you just had, OP, is very common. It’s the initial loss of water weight. This is not concerning and if you stop losing so fast that is not concerning either. If you up your carbs you might temporarily gain the water weight back. Also no big deal.

An app that tracks your trending weight can be very helpful and can help you take individual scale readings in stride.

If you have done an active lifestyle in the past I am sure you can do it again.

Fainting from low blood sugar is a big deal. Please keep an emergency snack with you just in case.