A head cold and exercise

Options
I have a stuffed up nose and lots of sneezing today but no chest congestion. I still want to do at least 30 minutes on elliptical. I don't think a small work out will make me any worse.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising anywhere but at home, please don't, noone else needs to have your germs :wink:

^^THIS.

I always take time off from exercise - it won't make me get well any faster.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising anywhere but at home, please don't, noone else needs to have your germs :wink:

^^THIS.

I always take time off from exercise - it won't make me get well any faster.

Agreed, a walk in the fresh air is the only thing I would do if I was all congested.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's OK to workout with a mild cold. But if you're not feeling well during your workout, that can stress out your body and not really be productive.

I find with a mild cold or whatever is sometimes a good day to focus on strength or flexibility if it's easier on the body.
  • takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I see maybe cardio might not be a good idea. I can just see myself struggling for air while trying to breath through my stuffed up nose.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    please dont if its a gym where other people go. stay home. take a walk. dont spread your germs!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Unless it's a very minor case of the sniffles, I don't do a whole lot when I'm ill...I'd probably just go for a nice walk and get some fresh air.

It's ok...and actually beneficial to give your body rest. It's not like it's going to hinder your progress or anything...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    The general rule is, if it's all above the neck, you're fine but don't push it, if you have fever/chest congestion/aches and pains/ tiredness, take a break.

Exercise actually helps your immune system, so there's that.

But stay away from others, please!

• takuwinds
    takuwinds Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I am feeling a bit better today but I got on the scale and gained weight. I'm crushed. I hate that I did not exercise or was eating well enough. I hate being sick, it slows me down.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do it, no matter what. just more gentle.
  • mbeuchert24
    mbeuchert24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My rest days are Sat & Sun and I got sick last week...ended up skipping Friday, kept my weekend rest days, and I was ready to go back yesterday.