Calorie comparison!

LauraSrock18
LauraSrock18 Posts: 125 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey everyone! I’ve been playing with my calorie intake and was hoping to get some insight! I’m 24, weigh 168 & my goal is 150! I’ve been up & down from 168-169 for a month! I have had my calorie intake to be to lose 1.5lbs a week at 1,700 after reading some posts I’ve seen most people recommend it to be 1- .5 lbs a week which would make my calories 1,950! Any thoughts or opinions?

I’m pretty active, I’m a hairstylist so I get lots of steps & I workout 3-5 Times a week with weights and HIIT training! I did decide to put the scale away to stop the habit of weighing myself everyday so I can focus on physical progress and not base my success on a number!

How many times do you weigh yourself? I’d like to try once a week and then possibly once a month and do measurements every week! The scale has been really effecting me negatively lately and it’s becoming obsessive.
Thoughts?

thank you!!

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    It depends on what's sustainable to you.

I'm surprised that you're getting such high calories, though. Are you putting yourself as sedentary or active?
  • LauraSrock18
    aeloine wrote: »
    It depends on what's sustainable to you.

I'm surprised that you're getting such high calories, though. Are you putting yourself as sedentary or active?

I’ve put myself as active! I usually get 10,000-15,000 steps a day as well as working out!
  • aeloine
    Then be really careful about eating back exercise calories. I believe that most people put themselves as sedentary and use fitness trackers/tools to calculate extra calories to eat back. Try the 1,700 out for a little bit and see if that works for YOU. If you get too hungry or want to cheat, bump it up to the 1,950
  • LauraSrock18
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Your diary suggests that you are not losing weight because you are eating more than you think. Get and use a food scale. If you are not losing weight at 1700, you will definitely not at 1950 using the logging methods you are doing now.

I use my food scale and measure everything I eat :/
  • LauraSrock18
    Then be really careful about eating back exercise calories. I believe that most people put themselves as sedentary and use fitness trackers/tools to calculate extra calories to eat back. Try the 1,700 out for a little bit and see if that works for YOU. If you get too hungry or want to cheat, bump it up to the 1,950

That’s the frustrating part! I don’t eat back exercise calories during the week but I typically will Friday and Saturday at social events! My bet calories usually end up being 1,000-,1400 during the week! I did change my activity level to “lightly active” & that changed my calories to 1,640. When I tried not active it was down to 1,300 which I really don’t think I can sustain!
  • aeloine
    Your diary suggests that you are not losing weight because you are eating more than you think. Get and use a food scale. If you are not losing weight at 1700, you will definitely not at 1950 using the logging methods you are doing now.

*MOST* of the things you eat. There are still quite a few generic entries, like "1 bagel" "2 slices of bread" "0.5 banana". Keep in mind that those slices are NOT created equal and need to be weighed too.

You also overate Friday and Saturday. I didn't go past that, but keep in mind that any surplus can wipe out a lot of deficit.

Most accurate plan of action would be to actually weigh your breads, fruits, packaged items, and to set yourself to sedentary or lightly active and eat back ~half of your exercise calories.
  • LauraSrock18
    *net calories. And my weekly calories are always under my goa!
  • aeloine

That’s the frustrating part! I don’t eat back exercise calories during the week but I typically will Friday and Saturday at social events! My bet calories usually end up being 1,000-,1400 during the week! I did change my activity level to “lightly active” & that changed my calories to 1,640. When I tried not active it was down to 1,300 which I really don’t think I can sustain!

Which is why we suggest the lower weight loss goals of 1-0.5 lbs/week. That way you "earn" back more food IF you're active, but you still stay in deficit if you don't exercise.

Try to set to sedentary with a reasonable weekly weight loss goal, and re-evaluate in a couple of weeks. This process really is a lot of figuring out what works for YOU.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017

Okay.. the other posters have great suggestions .. adjust your calories how you need to monitor it over 4-6 weeks. best of luck.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    You are taller right? I think your calorie levels are fine. I am 5'8.5", and have been averaging about 2100 calories net. I'm losing about 1/3rd pound a week.

How long have you been stuck? Are your really stuck? I'd actually suggest weighing every day and tracking weight trends. I prefer just to do it in Excel (see my profile picture) but there are apps that do it as well (Libra for Android is one). My weight bounces around a lot and I didn't track every day I might not notice any loss.

I'd look at your accuracy in logging too and maybe just be more patient.
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8EbfzFB0mBrMGJ6V2N5QWNfeTg/view

I use Happy scale and this adaptive tdee spreadsheet that uses your actual weight, average weight and calories to give you your specific TDEE.
  • LauraSrock18
    You can continue to argue, OR you can start logging everything accurately and stop having cheat weekends. 1700 should be more than sufficient for weight loss for you. It is about accuracy. Truly.

I lost my last 15-20 pounds at 1700-2000 (I'm 5'7",) it took about nine months. I'm much older and less active than you. If it worked for me it *should* work for you - assuming you have no other medical issues. I think you should be able to eat more than 1700 considering how young and active you are, so it's again about accuracy.

I’m not arguing, I was trying to clarify Incase what I said was misunderstood, after seeing the responses I understood what was being said.