Treadmill in an apartment?

Options
Hello MFPers! I was needing some advice. I've been desperately wanting to get a treadmill for quite a while now. I love to jog, but the majority of the year it's either too hot, too cold, or raining to do it outside. The problem I have is that I will be living in an apartment on the second floor very soon and am worried about how much sound would penetrate through the floor to the neighbors below.... Any thoughts/experience about treadmills in an apartment?

Replies

• Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Stay on the bottom floor.
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    I had a treadmill in my apartment and it really doesn't make too much noise. Of course, the noise level is subject to the apartment complex and all. I'd definitely wait to move in and try jump around on the floor, doin' a regular workout, and then check with your neighbors downstairs to see how they feel about it.

I hope you're able to get one!

*smiles*

Jean
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Hello MFPers! I was needing some advice. I've been desperately wanting to get a treadmill for quite a while now. I love to jog, but the majority of the year it's either too hot, too cold, or raining to do it outside. The problem I have is that I will be living in an apartment on the second floor very soon and am worried about how much sound would penetrate through the floor to the neighbors below.... Any thoughts/experience about treadmills in an apartment?
    This complex has no workout room? If so use their treadmill. Talk to your downstair neighbors since they will be getting the noise from it and see if it's a hassle.
  • ohwhataday
    ohwhataday Posts: 1,398 Member
    Options
    believe it or not, not every apartment complex has a gym. haha. but it'd be nice if they did. I use my elliptical in an apartment and it's a little noisy but it's not that bad.
  • moamcgoo
    moamcgoo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a basement? Try putting it there... I know my treadmill is full-size and makes quite a bit of noise so I keep it in the basement.
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Stay on the bottom floor.

That's not safe for a single female...
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Well I had one on the 2nd floor so i did it at times of the day where the people really cant complain about the noise. like i would not do it later then 9pm and no earlier then 8am just incase some one was sleeping. then later on i had new neighboors move in and blasted a base so i intentionally did it late at night lmao but never heard anthing from them and our walls amd floors where not super thin but not super thick good luck oh and then later i got an elliptical which made no noise lol
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    If you are on the second floor, depending on how well built the apartment is, the neighbors under you can hear you walking around. It wouldn't be loud but it would be annoying to them.
  • heatypablo
    heatypablo Posts: 221
    Options
    I agree with everyone who says to check with your downstairs neighbor. It could be possible to schedule a time with them that won't affect their peace and quiet. I live on the first floor of an apartment complex and I would appreciate my neighbor coming down to ask me if they were planning to use a treadmill upstairs.

You may also want to check with your leasing office - some complexes don't allow work-out equipment on the second floor due to complaints from the lower levels.

I hope it works out for you, congrats on the new place as well!
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    if noise is an issue,look into an elliptical? there's no pounding on the floor r heavy steps to resonate through the floors.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I've had elliptical machines off and on for the last 7 years. If you have carpeting, your neighbors shouldn't be bothered. If my neighbors did complain, I would tell them what time of day I usually use it, so they could be prepared or maybe not be home.