Phentermine

Options
Hello everyone I have just started taking phentermine to help with my weightloss. Wondering if anyone else has or is taking it and what their experience with it was.

Replies

• celiah909
    celiah909 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I’ve only had a friend take it. She said it made really jittery and suppressed her appetite too much. She only took it for a week
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I did. Made me feel like crap and full dose was extremly racey. I hate that feeling!!!!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My experience with Phentermine:

Cons-

-Extreme insomnia, averaged a few hours of broken sleep a night. I even started taking it at 4am every day, but that made no difference.

-Moodiness and depression. Two things I had never experienced before.

- Bad, bad, bad constipation.

- Couldn't focus or concentrate on anything... Including driving a car!

Pro's-

None. I can't even remember if i lost any weight, as the whole time is a foggy daze.
  • totustuusmaria
    totustuusmaria Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I was very young I took this. I lost a lot of weight and gained it all back. It made me jittery and angry but it did suppress my appetite a great deal. I highly discourage it. Just using fitnesspal and working out is the healthiest option.

I have also seen reports that it can have a negative impact on your heart.

A good friend of mine took it and became addicted. She lost tons of weight and then gained it all back and while she was upwards of 260 was still trying to take it to get back to 140.

• moonnstarstx
    moonnstarstx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have taken it twice in the past and yes I can say it helped a lot in suppressing my appetite and making better choices because my sugar and carb cravings weren’t as intense HOWEVER both times after I stopped taking the medication my appetite increased immensely. My cravings and appetite increased to the point that I gained all my weight back plus some both times. I am still trying to recover several months later. Not that it’s in my system anymore but I still am constantly hungry and nothing fills me up at all. I regret taking it because I am constantly struggling again to learn to re-eat. Every single person I know who has taken it has gained back all the weight they lost and are struggling. I would like to say both times I took the medication I was on it for several months as I was on a medically supervised diet so maybe just taking it for a short period is not as detrimental however I wanted to share my experience as I know many have experienced the same thing.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I think this is not a good idea. Eventually you have to go off of it, and then what?

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs in 4 or so weeks. My resting heart rate rose to 150s and I always felt panicked so I quit taking it. I gained 15 of 25lbs back, but used the 10 lbs as momentum to get smart about calorie counting.

I don't recommend it and I wouldn't do it again.
  • kelsberry92
    kelsberry92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I took it for 8 months. It's truly amazing for weight loss until you look back at your food diary. I was only eating 300-500 calories a day because I wasn't hungry. So after I got off them, I gained it all back very quickly. Plus, it made me super angry and my resting heart rate was usually like 140BPM lol.
  • toy_nikki2005
    toy_nikki2005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started on 11/01/17 and I have not lost a pound but I continue to exercise but the pill makes me tired.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I started taking it a few days ago. Hoping to pair it with healthier eating habits (as it's cutting the cravings for junk) and give me a jump-start to weight loss. I'm down 3lbs from the 29th, but am not really counting any loss until the 2 week mark. I'm reminding myself to eat sensibly, and as my body starts to feel better will work in some exercise. I've had no problems sleeping and no mood disturbances as of yet. But again, it's only been a few days. I'm also taking Topamax with it.
  • CoachJT33
    CoachJT33 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Really worked for a couple of friends of mine. Both lost a substantial amount of weight and have since kept it off. Might just depend on the person
  • DanishFeta
    DanishFeta Posts: 61 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was on it for 2 months and only lost 5lbs. I had to go off it as it lead to really scary heart palpitations. I ended up in the ER and they said it's better to go off them as they only really help with reducing cravings and that I would lose the same amount of weight just by counting calories and so I was told to try MFP =D

Probably the best decision I've made as I've lost over 30lbs now and my heart rate is back down to 68. I don't think i'd ever try them again.