Sciatica and how to deal with it ?

Options
I 've had SPD when I was pregnant 7 years ago and since then it's never felt quite right.
I 've been upping my exercise later ( although this happens even when I'm not working out at all ) I get this dull ache first at bottom of my back by the hip and then running through my right buttock (tmi sorry).
I'm guessing it's sciatic nerve .

Sometimes it happens on the left side too.
It can then linger for days ,I use hot water bottle and ibuprofen but don't want to be popping pain killers so often.

What do I do when I get this pain ?
Keep on exercising or stop? Woud yoga or extra stretching help ?

I really don't want to be skipping workouts all the time.

Any advice would be great.

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    What has your doctor suggested?
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Last time I went to Dr he gave me a months worth of Codeine and sent me off. I'm not looking for medical advice just curious if anyone experiences the same and can they recommend any exercises or things that have helped them.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I am surprised your doctor didn't give you any exercise suggestions. Well i guess the list of suggestions people give here won't end up being duplicates
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I know it seems crazy but actually keeping moving even when having sciatic bouts I've always found to be the best treatment.

When taking Ibuprofen they only really work properly when you take them regularly for at least a few weeks, they take the inflammation down which cause the pain. Taking them now and again is no better than taking a painkiller which only is temporary.

The good thing about Sciatic pain is that it will go away. The worst bout I had lasted 6 months, thankfully since I lost weight my bouts are now rare and only last a few days at a time. Walking and being active really helps keep it at bay.

Hope your pain eases soon and you feel more yourself.

And yes, to answer your question, yoga and Pilates is perfect for Sciatica, if you are having pain during then you need to ask your trainer how to adapt or stick to movements that aren't causing you pain.

Ruth
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A great osteopath helped me. Both the manipulation and also advice about rehab exercises which were mainly working on progressively improving core muscle strength.
    Yoga, pilates, stretching may help.

I'm very much against stopping exercise as when you lose strength and your muscles atrophy you have less support for your spine.
    I'm also against pain killers outside of a major acute episode (ibuprofen isn't a pain killer by the way) as they can mask the problem. Pain is a good guide as to what you should / should not be doing!

Losing weight also helped to a smaller degree (reduction in vertical spinal compression). I also have to avoid very large vertical compression loads as I have very reduced lumbar disc height.

• passenger79
    Options
    I know it seems crazy but actually keeping moving even when having sciatic bouts I've always found to be the best treatment.

When taking Ibuprofen they only really work properly when you take them regularly for at least a few weeks, they take the inflammation down which cause the pain. Taking them now and again is no better than taking a painkiller which only is temporary.

The good thing about Sciatic pain is that it will go away. The worst bout I had lasted 6 months, thankfully since I lost weight my bouts are now rare and only last a few days at a time. Walking and being active really helps keep it at bay.

Hope your pain eases soon and you feel more yourself.

And yes, to answer your question, yoga and Pilates is perfect for Sciatica, if you are having pain during then you need to ask your trainer how to adapt or stick to movements that aren't causing you pain.

Ruth

Thank you ! Thats great to hear as I really don't want to be missing workouts as I'm just getting back to it after a break.
    Plus I had it flare up few times when I haven't been doing anything but walking so it can start anytime really.
    I will give yoga a go.
  • TLB86
    TLB86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Definitely stretching!!!! I've had sciatica & tight back muscles for over a year but just put up with it until I could no longer stand for long without fidgeting from one leg to the other (like a dancing flamingo lol).

I didn't want to keep taking pills forever so I finally got an appointment with the hospital who advised to keep on moving! He said I was doing all the right things with working out etc but with all the strenuous working out I do I don't stretch enough to compensate it. He did some tests and seemed to know what he was talking about so I tootled off and started stretching after EVERY workout but for a count of 30 seconds on each stretch. I particularly love 'Pigeon Pose'. It helped to relieve pressure from the back/upper buttock and really stretch it out as well as being very relaxing.

I feel your pain and although I have can tend to be a little lax with stretching now I feel better it's still in the back of my mind to do it.

I hope this helps a little <3 x
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    A friend sent me this link a while back for a stretching workout for hips, maybe this might help https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XcBnjYv9gUY
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    Sciatica is a painful chronic condition.
    If you are taking Ibuprofen make sure you take them with food or milk. (Never on an empty stomach). And yes, taking the medication every six hours, regularly, is better, than every now and than.
    Stretching is excellent as is gentle movement.
    Keeping still is probably the worst thing for Sciatica.
    Wheat packs, hot showers and physiotherapists are all helpful.
    And weight loss really does reduce the episodes and severity of Sciatica. ( I can testify from personal experience).
    Good luck.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a chiropractor, an osteopath, or a physical therapist... NOT someone who is just going to push painkillers at you.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Mine has all but cleared up now I'm 60lbs lighter but to echo others, exercising to keep everything strong and supported, keeping moving, stretching and (not nearly regularly enough) foam rolling or releasing with one of those spikey balls.

I used to basically collapse on my legs if it pinched in a particular way, haven't had that happen since I don't know when. So I hope you find solutions because it is awful to live with.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Stretching, heat, and anti-inflammatories (if you catch it early enough, you can skip these). Everyone with sciatica gets it for a different reason, based on anatomy. Mine is related to tight hamstrings. If I don't keep them stretched and loose, I will get sciatica bad. But, since I figured this out and always pay attention to stretching, I've only gotten a few bouts instead of constant pain. I've known other people who can do a glute massage with a tennis ball (lay on it and roll it all around where it aches) and it seemed to work wonders. Experiment a little with stretching and see what works for you. If no success, see a good physical therapist. The good ones know amazing things about anatomy that you'd never suspect!
  • passenger79
    Options
    Thanks everyone for great advice I will keep up with my workouts and incorporate more stretching/yoga
  • JillianRumrill
    JillianRumrill Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    my hubby's been having trouble with his siatic, and I've had trouble in the past as well. an aquaintance who is a nurse taught me a move that helps a little- stand up, cross your legs, and bend over, switch legs and bend over again. I guess it's supposed to un-pinch a nerve or something.
  • Rooskie73
    Rooskie73 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A friend sent me this link a while back for a stretching workout for hips, maybe this might help https]

I just watched the video, and those are pretty much the same things that I did at physical therapy for my hip issues. That's a good one for anyone really. I also go to a chiropractor once a month which helps also. She gave me exercises to do at home also. Good luck to all!!

• MrsSpareski
    MrsSpareski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would seek help from a physio. It may be your sacroilliac joint causing you the pain rather than the sciatic nerve, and they can present with similar pain (especially if it’s something that originated when you were pregnant, as hormonal changes when pregnant can affect these joints). A good physio will be able to diagnose the issue and give you specific exercises to both help during flare ups and keep future ones at bay. Hope you get it sorted!
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hot yoga helped get rid of my sciatica thank goodness. That thing was a nightmare. I just signed up for a full month (the beginner pricing) and it worked like magic. Haven't gone back to hot yoga because it's freaking expensive, but it did help.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I keep moving when mine flares up. I'm lucky and the pain only lasts for a day or 2. Thank goodness as I get nerve pain with it in my skin on the back of my leg that makes it feel like I have a terrible sunburn - clothes hurt, sitting hurts, touching anything hurts.

I talked to my doc and she said she can't do much, but to come back if it stops going away, or I suddenly lose control of my bladder or bowels.

Edited as it cut off half my post.

My doc recommended massage when it flares up, but good luck finding someone good with same day availability.

I find a hot bath really helps.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've suffered with sciatica off and on for years. Sometimes it just flares up in the middle of the night. Being as active as possible helps in the long term. For short term relief I do specific yoga poses that help. Here's a link to some of the poses:

https://yogainternational.com/article/view/7-poses-to-soothe-sciatica

Also a great YouTube video by Adriene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5h0jkoBFbI

If I must resort to medication, my doctor recommended taking both ibuprofen and tylenol together. I rarely do but that combo works better for me than either of them alone. I never do this longer than 1-2 days anyway.

You might also consider getting a TENS unit (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation). When mine is at its worst the TENS will knock out the pain nearly 100% within a day. I bought mine from my chiropractor for a ridiculous amount, but you can get a decent one on Amazon for under $30. I now own 2 of them so the husband and I don't fight over who gets it after a long hike. :D
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have it terribly as well and in a bout of it myself now. My husband hears me lament "Ow my butt hurts!" often. :D

Agree with the above folks who say keep moving, stretch and see a chiropractor.

I do a lot of these:
    https://www.healthline.com/health/back-pain/sciatic-stretches#overview1