Options
13»

Replies

• 26DEEP91
    26DEEP91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks friends for your suggestions and information
    You really made me feel light and relaxed,
    many friends mentioned SODIUM INTAKE in there posts, what is the role of sodium in weight lose
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    26DEEP91 wrote: »
    many friends mentioned SODIUM INTAKE in there posts, what is the role of sodium in weight lose

Fortunately enough, @Aaron_K123 just wrote a great post about sodium here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10615700/biochemistry-answers-for-common-weight-loss-questions-sodium-warning-long-and-nerdy#latest
  • descene
    descene Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've seen as much as 7lbs in water weight in one day, and that's weighing under the same conditions each time. It definitely can make a difference.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    you weighed on Saturday MORNING and Sunday NIGHT

Im assuming the food and drink you had during that time didnt weigh zero lbs.

you will ALWAYS weigh more at night than in the moring because you have the weight of everything you ate and drank in your body too.

you also wont weigh exactly the same or less EVERY morning

there is NOTHING concerning about this in the slightest, relax and dont weigh yourself late at night

And weekends are the time when people are least consistent in their lifestyles

Just to add to the anecdotes, Earlier this year, first weekend of summer, I went to a BBQ, Between dietary sodium etc and water retention caused by the sun/exposure/temperature. I gained 11 lbs almost 5 kilos in just under 24 hours... it took 3-4 days for it to work back out.
  • Lola_Mercury
    Lola_Mercury Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thats precisely why I only weigh myself once a month. I needlessly obsess over small fluctuations.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I weigh about 2 lbs. (a little less than a kilo) more at night than in the morning.

And then if I overeat by 500 or so calories, add another couple pounds to that at least. It stays around for a few days.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    There are so many reasons for fluctuations in weight. One for sure is water weight. If I am busy and dont drink enough water I see a 5lbs difference. Once I eat and drink some kind of fluids I gain 2-3lbs of it back.

The other thing and this is not to sound gross, but bowel movements or the lack of them. Yes it might be small depending, but fecal matter has weight to it.

I weigh myself way to often, but I do not let the numbers get to me. I have the fitbit aria scale and frankly delete most of them. I have kind of put a 1st of the month weigh in that I keep as a marker.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

It always amazes me how people find their way to this forum, in trying to lose weight, but are so clueless about the body actually works.

Your body wants to have a fairly constant sodium level. When you consume excess sodium (salt) your body will use water to try and dilute the sodium within the cells (why do you think you get thirsty after you eat salty food?) Your body holds onto the fluids you intake to help battle the sodium overload which then causes a puffiness appearance and shows up as a weight gain on the scale of course. But this is only a temporary gain.

Battle the sodium by flushing it out with fresh water, and over time the extra water weight with be secreted through urine and sweat. Stay well-hydrated. It's your best way to deal with excess sodium ( other than moderating your salt consumption in the first place!!).

If you do an extreme amount of cardio activity, you will lose a lot of sodium through sweat. This is why runners are often given salt packets at the start of races, and why they consume liquids with a sodium/electrolyte content. Some runners/athletes simply sweat more than others, and they have to be conscious of their sodium levels as well.
  • 26DEEP91
    26DEEP91 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

It always amazes me how people find their way to this forum, in trying to lose weight, but are so clueless about the body actually works.

Your body wants to have a fairly constant sodium level. When you consume excess sodium (salt) your body will use water to try and dilute the sodium within the cells (why do you think you get thirsty after you eat salty food?) Your body holds onto the fluids you intake to help battle the sodium overload which then causes a puffiness appearance and shows up as a weight gain on the scale of course. But this is only a temporary gain.

Battle the sodium by flushing it out with fresh water, and over time the extra water weight with be secreted through urine and sweat. Stay well-hydrated. It's your best way to deal with excess sodium ( other than moderating your salt consumption in the first place!!).

If you do an extreme amount of cardio activity, you will lose a lot of sodium through sweat. This is why runners are often given salt packets at the start of races, and why they consume liquids with a sodium/electrolyte content. Some runners/athletes simply sweat more than others, and they have to be conscious of their sodium levels as well.

impressive and nicely explained :)