Breakfast Protein Bars?

Options
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a breakfast protein bar? I had bariatric surgery in April and I'm down from 222 to 159 but I've been having eggs and bacon every morning for 6 months and its getting a little old. I currently have a Pure Protein bar for a snack every day and I'd like to try one for breakfast. You know, something fast that I can grab and nom in the car while stuck in traffic. Looking for something that has at least 10 grams of protein, low sugar, low carbs and isn't nasty tasting :). Any recommendation are welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    No need to buy something that's marketed as a "breakfast" food. If you want to eat a protein bar, any protein bar you like would be fine for breakfast. Many protein bars do have a lot of sugar, though. Oh Yeah One and Quest bars are popular and lower in sugar. Some Kind bars have a reasonable amount of protein, though not as much as a protein bar. However, if you want something that's portable, high protein, and low carb, you might try jerky or Greek yogurt instead.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Two cheese sticks (the kind wrapped in plastic) have about 16g of protein, no sugar, and minimal carbs. There's a pretty good variety in the supermarket. There are a lot of recipes out there for high-protein breakfast bars, maybe you could bake up a batch and toss one in a bag before heading to the car.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Agree with One Bars and Quest. Quest makes a cereal bar as well which is pretty tasty.
  • Sooman2017
    Sooman2017 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use either Genuine Health Proteins+ bars.... 190 calories, 15G protein, High fibre, sugar only 8g. I am not sure if they are available outside of Canada. I also use Clif Builders bars, they are higher in sugar, but they do have lots of vitamins and minerals. One of these is all I require in the morning.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of the Kirkland brand ones from Costco. You get a big box for a good price, low sugar, and high protein. I eat one for breakfast nearly every day.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Quest bars are super hard on the post-op stomach, in my experience. You can only eat maybe 1/3 of the bar, as they expand with heat. I had an RNY and my first attempt at a Quest bar was painful after a couple bites.

Personally, I use PowerCrunch bars. They are light and have 13 grams of protein and meet sugar/carb protocol for post-op. They basically have the taste and feel of those sugar wafer cookies but are made out of a bunch of whey protein. I prefer them to traditional bars because they are much easier to chew into a digestible paste. I find that traditional bars tend to have a much too chewy consistency to be comfortable in my pouch if I expect to eat again so I only eat traditional bars that have 20g+ if I'm not going to eat for a while.

Otherwise, I make high protein puddings for breakfast. If you use sugar free instant mix, Fairlife milk and unflavored protein, you can get like 32g of protein in one bottle and generally, it'll shape up to a thicker consistency in minutes if the milk is cold. That, or use Oikos drinkable yogurt or sometimes just cave to protein shakes and will have an Atkins mocha or something.

Aaanyway, I vote PowerCrunch.

Edit to add: Plus side of this option is that you can get them at most grocery stores, Walmart, etc, and if you like them enough, you can buy by the case on Amazon, including a variety pack. My favorites are the PB creme, red velvet, and berry creme flavors.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    What's your favorite flavors in regular foods/desserts?

There's so many bars out there nowadays.