Need help losing fat and gaining muscle for trip in January!

Options
savg77
savg77 Posts: 1 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently just turned 18 and am planning to go on a trip to Thailand in January with a couple friends. My goal is to be almost at my healthiest and fittest by then!
I am happy with my body and how it looks but I would like to improve it even more and raise my stamina and endurance for the trip which will involve a lot of walking/hiking and most likely swimming.

I weigh around 110lbs. and stand at about 5’1”. I want to gain muscle but I don’t have the time to go to the gym so at-home exercises are best for me. I used to do a lot of Pop! Pilates a year back but slowly strayed away from it and got lazy because of school. I remember I gained muscle quite easily but still had stubborn fat at my stomach, inner thighs, and triceps.
I do a few kettlebell exercises a couple days a week at the moment but I’m still not very motivated to do anymore exercises because I’m not sure what to do.
I eat about 1,200 calories a day but don’t know what % of macronutrients I should be eating. I eat fairly healthy and avoid junk food and soft drinks and rarely eat white meat, and never red.

Any nutrition and exercise regimens or tips would be great!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have a great plan. Working more walking and hiking into your routine right now will definitely help with your stamina during your trip. If the weather is nice where you live, you could just add a daily walk to your schedule. Otherwise, walking on a treadmill on an incline, or using a stairmaster will help get your walking endurance up.

A general strength routine might be good to start, but don't expect results right away. Stronglifts 5x5 and Strong Curves are popular beginner programs.

PS - everyone says "they don't have time to go to the gym", but have a good look at your day and see if you really don't have time. A lot of Strength programs require only 30 minutes at the gym. That might mean just waking up half an hour earlier to go have a quick workout before work!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    You are referring to recomp and this cannot be done in the short amount of time you are proposing. Recomping requires you to eat maintenance calories while utilizing a progressive weight training routine or check out You Are Your Own Gym (no equipment needed). Recomp can take months to years. Why not just focus on recomping (since this is your ultimate goal) and also focus on being healthy.
  • sksk1026
    sksk1026 Posts: 213 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Strong Curves has a bodyweight program you can do at home. I just started it, today. You can get the Strong Curves routines in pdf format, free, online and use that for now. The book is supposed to be awesome too especially if you want to switch specific exercises. Another alternative is to get the free app JeFit - it has some home routines pre-loaded. It also has dumbell-only routines to do at home. Dumbbells aren't expensive, second-hand, or you can substitute filled water bottles for dumbbells.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    Options
    savg77 wrote: »
    I am happy with my body and how it looks but I would like to improve it even more and raise my stamina and endurance for the trip which will involve a lot of walking/hiking and most likely swimming.

Then walk/hike and swim a few times a week.

Choose whatever macronutrient ratio satisfies you, provided that you're not deficient in protein & fat.

1200 calories might not be enough. :+1:

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    savg77 wrote: »
    I recently just turned 18 and am planning to go on a trip to Thailand in January with a couple friends. My goal is to be almost at my healthiest and fittest by then!

I weigh around 110lbs. and stand at about 5’1”. I want to gain muscle but I don’t have the time to go to the gym so at-home exercises are best for me. I used to do a lot of Pop! Pilates a year back but slowly strayed away from it and got lazy because of school. I remember I gained muscle quite easily but still had stubborn fat at my stomach, inner thighs, and triceps.
    I do a few kettlebell exercises a couple days a week at the moment but I’m still not very motivated to do anymore exercises because I’m not sure what to do.
    I eat about 1,200 calories a day but don’t know what % of macronutrients I should be eating. I eat fairly healthy and avoid junk food and soft drinks and rarely eat white meat, and never red.

Any nutrition and exercise regimens or tips would be great!

you do not have time to gain considerable muscle mass in two months, but why not start a program now and continue on your trip (or after you get back)?

also, nothing wrong with white or red meat!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    1200 calories? That's not going to help you build muscle I am afraid.

You should raise your calories to maintenance and do a progressive over load (lifting program) and give yourself a lot of time, this is a very slow process (recomp). Get adequate protein, nothing wrong with getting in lean meats in your diet these are great sources of protein.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While you may not gain considerable muscle mass, 2 months is enough time that you could see visual improvement, even in a recomp. Like others said, 1200 calories is probably too few. At home body weight work outs can be done. You are your own gym, nerd fitness, Al kavadlo, convict conditioning, GMB fitness, and other body weight programs are something you should check out. That can take care of the strength side, walk and hike for your aerobic exercise. Include a weighted backpack if you can, doesn't have to be very heavy at the start
  • megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Not sure how much you can do in 8 weeks but you could do weights 3 times a week with videos. I like Fitness Blender. You'd probably see some improvement. You should also go walk or hike or swim once or twice a week to to train for any activities.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are returning to resistance exercise or new to it entirely, you could definitely see a visual improvement within two months. You are not overweight and I wouldn't suggest eating in a deficit. Eat at maintenance and follow a good bodyweight program if you have no access to weights.