Sciatica and how to deal with it ?

Options
2»

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I agree with others about seeing a physio!

I also get that pain sometimes. It seems to have disappeared since I stopped running though - that seemed to set it off quite badly. Working on posture/core strength seemed to help me too.

There are stretches you can do to relieve it. I'm quite a fan of "Pigeon Pose" - it's a yoga pose that really stretches that area nicely.
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    as a chiropractic technician of a 'corrective chiropractor' I would tell you to see a good chiro! Find one that is Corrective and will take xrays of your spine on site.
    Sciatica means that you have nerve interference. Once you can see your spine and see the problem, its just a combination of getting adjusted to remove the interference and utilizing the exercises they would give you do to at home to strengthen the muscles around the spine .
    To see is to know - you don't want bandaid care, you want to fix the problem :)
  • roseym10
    roseym10 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had it for 3 weeks earlier this year and was going to physical therapy and doing the exercises she gave me at home. What did it for me was a massage. It hurt some while she massaged my painful areas, but the next day, the sciatica pain was gone and hasn't come back since.
  • TeresaB12345
    TeresaB12345 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    stretching and foam rolling helped mine
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Sciatic nerve flossing is a miracle. The idea is that you floss the nerve back-and-forth in the nerve sheath, reducing “stickiness” and improving lubrication. YOU DON’T STRETCH IT! You floss it. The exercise is very simple, and there’s really not a lot that can go wrong—unless you stretch rather than floss. Here’s a link to a chiropractor who does it right (plus he’s British, so you get the added bonus of the adorable accent). It seems wrong when you first start doing this because we are so tuned in to stretching, and it feels like you aren’t doing anything. But you are! Blessings.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMbKv94Bu_U
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sciatica is a symptom, not a diagnosis. How it's treated depends on the cause. Lots of good ideas here but you really need to get a diagnosis and treatment plan from a medical professional specific to your situation. Doing the wrong "correction" can do more harm than good.

Best of luck.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Also, I Googled a bit, SPD can result in worsen sacroiliac joint problems. Does the OP sit a lot? This is also not helpful for the SI joint.

Again, please see a medical professional. Best of luck.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I've been pushing myself harder on squats/deadlifts and running into lower back pain and used the following tips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWmGArQBtFI
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I would seek help from a physio. It may be your sacroilliac joint causing you the pain rather than the sciatic nerve, and they can present with similar pain (especially if it’s something that originated when you were pregnant, as hormonal changes when pregnant can affect these joints). A good physio will be able to diagnose the issue and give you specific exercises to both help during flare ups and keep future ones at bay. Hope you get it sorted!

That or your piriformis muscle.