your exercise calories

Options
one of the most debatable things is the exercise calories ..do you eat them or not?....if you don't eat them and then your net is like 800 or 1000 cal does this mean your body will be going to starvation mode and it will be harder for you to lose weight !...what to do you think and do you have some scientific evidence to support that?........

Replies

• Jennyzfit
    Jennyzfit Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this for a year. Yes I do eat most of my exercise calories. If I don't I'd be a rail. I do exercise alot. same old atage. Eat more move more. I find this works for me as I am very active.
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    Your body will go into starvation mode if you don't eat.
  • Chezza021
    Chezza021 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Excellent question I am very keen to see the response you get?? I am new to this and this is definitely a part that I am interested in.... eating them back can be alot of food...
  • katieeweiss
    katieeweiss Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    First of all, there's nothing wrong with only getting 900/1000/1100 net calories OCCASIONALLY. Zig zagging calories is a good thing.

Second of all, yes I do eat my exercise calories if I'm hungry. (Usually I am.) I've noticed something - when I work out, I WANT to eat 2000 calories. But when I don't work out I usually don't feel like eating more than 1500ish. That shows me that my body really does need those extra calories.

Hope that helps...

Edit: THIRD OF ALL... MAKE YOUR CALORIES COUNT! Don't eat one meal at Taco Bell, fill up on fruits, veggies, and lean protein! And whole grains! :)
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, most people should eat back all or a good portion of their exercise calories to ensure healthy, long-term weight loss. The difference I've read is that it can be o.k. for obese people to go below those calories without causing the physiological changes known as "starvation mode." For those who are within 20-30 lbs. of goal weight, it's more important to eat back those calories (especially since the calorie amount is so low when you get this close to goal weight)...
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Very simple. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. I figure my body will tell me when it needs fuel.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options

^THIS, the 2nd page has tons of links regarding this subject. Also read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ladyhawk00/view/mfp-basics-78491
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    First of all, there's nothing wrong with only getting 900/1000/1100 net calories OCCASIONALLY. Zig zagging calories is a good thing.

Second of all, yes I do eat my exercise calories if I'm hungry. (Usually I am.) I've noticed something - when I work out, I WANT to eat 2000 calories. But when I don't work out I usually don't feel like eating more than 1500ish. That shows me that my body really does need those extra calories.

Hope that helps...

Edit: THIRD OF ALL... MAKE YOUR CALORIES COUNT! Don't eat one meal at Taco Bell, fill up on fruits, veggies, and lean protein! And whole grains! :)
  • allison_joan
    Options
    I just base it on if I'm hungry or not, if I'm not hungry I don't east back those calories and if I am hungry I do eat them back. I'm not going to force myself to eat when I feel full just like you wouldn't force yourself to not eat if you're hungry.
  • Jennyzfit
    Options
    well said ty
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 322 Member
    Options
  • VulcanLover
    Options
    This is confusing for me as well. I have read various responses. It seems to me, from what I have read, that if you have a lot to lose that you should not really be eating back your exercise calories because if you are fairly large your body is not at risk of going into starvation mode since you have ample fat stores to pull from, bu if you are fairly lean and close to your goal, your body does not have fat stores to pull from, so you need to eat back the calories? I have been doing MFP for the past three days (Yes, I am new to this..not new to dieting, but new here) and my "net" calories have been under 300..... I want to lose at LEAST 50 pounds. Is that problematic? SHould I eat SOME exercise cals back?
  • LeeLynnP
    LeeLynnP Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Very simple. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. I figure my body will tell me when it needs fuel.

Agreed, Zen. I rarely, if ever, eat my exercise calories. (or activity points if you're on WW). I've been exercising and eating healthier since March and I've lost 34 lbs (my husband has lost 53). I've not hit a plateau that lasted longer than 2 weeks and I never go hungry. Do what works for you.
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    Do a search and you will quickly see that this topic is debated ENDLESSLY over and over on the site.
    My biggest takeaway from the discussions is still that we all want to move ahead in our lives eating like regular human beings, not like birds. I don't WANT to only be able to eat 800 calories a day and maintain my weight.
    I *want* to eat normally and healthily keeping in tune with the amount of activity that I am doing.
    So, bottom line..........YES, I eat more on days that I work out hard and less on the days that I don't.
    The biggest caveat is not to overestimate just how many calories you're burning through exercise. If you are ACCURATELY accounting for how much exercise you're doing, then eat those calories and enjoy them because you earned them. ;-)
  • stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

Agreed, Zen. I rarely, if ever, eat my exercise calories. (or activity points if you're on WW). I've been exercising and eating healthier since March and I've lost 34 lbs (my husband has lost 53). I've not hit a plateau that lasted longer than 2 weeks and I never go hungry. Do what works for you.

Fantastic responses! It's all about what's right for your body. We all have different starting points and different goals. The trick is to find a healthy balance that works for you.
  • Rocki_
    Rocki_ Posts: 166 Member
    Options

Fantastic responses! It's all about what's right for your body. We all have different starting points and different goals. The trick is to find a healthy balance that works for you.

Could not agree more!! Especially if you exercise a LOT!! Well said, all!