How bad is it to eat dinner late at night??

Options
Hi MFP Peeps!

Since I've started my MFP journey, I've also started a new job and joined the gym. My life is extremely busy now as I spend an hour driving to and from work. This means I don't have time to go the gym in the morning, but I always go at night for a couple of hours.

I love that I'm commited to this and I'm seeing results.
The only downfall is thay by the time I get home and cook a healthy dinner, I'm eating anywhere between 8.30 and 10pm!

Is it really so bad to eat that late? I have just done a workout so I think maybe it's not so bad becuase the body would still be burning calories..
Would love to hear your opinions :)

Thanks!

Replies

• Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    So long as your daily calories are within your goal intake it doesn't matter when you eat them in terms of general fitness and weight loss. Also you should always eat after exercise so if you trian late then have something late.
  • Thinjules
    Options
    i dont think its so much when you eat but what. i would stay away from the carbs and focus more on protein, especially if you just worked out. A protein shake would be great or some chicken with veggies. Good luck!
  • januarygal
    januarygal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    In France they eat dinner late in the evening all the time, and the French don't seem to have as much issue with obesity. I think if you keep your calories under control and get enough rest and exercise you are golden.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    I've heard a lot of contradicting opinions on this. I've heard (from various doctors) that eating late is okay, it's WHAT most people eat when they eat late that's bad. I've heard from other doctors that it's fine, it's the totally calorie intake that matters. I've heard it's bad to eat a lot of sugar and fat late because your body won't break it down as well while you're asleep. That being said, eating a late dinner is DEFINITELY healthier than not eating dinner at all--especially if, like me, you'll get so hungry you can't sleep, then binge on junk instead.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    the myth about eating late at night is it will make you gain weight. in truth, most people are just relaxed, don't have to worry about exercise, work, etc, so they dont really focus on the food or cal and they tend to over eat. as long as you know what youre eating and pay attention to it, you dont got to worry
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The reason a lot of people think it is bad to eat late is because some people tend to eat bad things when they wait until late to eat.

But if you eat healthy and within your calories, the truth is that it just doesn't matter when you eat them.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat later in the evening. I do it all the time ... my favorite thing to post on these threads:

The body is a 24/7 shop. It doesn't look at your supper and then a clock on the wall: "OMG!!! It's 8:31!! Send that food straight to the thighs!"

:) It's all good.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    People aren't gremlins, we can eat at any time..even after midnight. (:
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    My doctor said that eating before bed was the problem, since lying down soon after eating means the bile juices are coming up and can cause issues like GERDS and wear on your esophagus. So like everyone has agreed, it's not the "late" part that matters, the what and when are more important. I've just started a diet for the first time under a doctor's care last week so this info is still fresh in my mind. She also told me none of us get enough protein and I was to aim for 120 g protein and less than 100 g carbs a day and the first mini meal needed to be within 60 minutes of getting up and be 25-30 g protein to get NE metabolism fired up. The only way to get that is a shake. I recommend the Syntrax Nectars line.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if there's any scientific info to prove or disprove what I'm going to say, this is only my personal opinion and experience.

I find it that if I eat a large meal close to going to sleep, the next morning I always wake up with far less energy and more tired. So I personally avoid eating any relevant meal 2-3 hours before bed time.

Hope it helps.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    It's not bad at all--unless you suffer from reflux or the like. It's not when you eat, it's what. So enjoy your dinners!

Kris
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Some people are more prone to heartburn or restless sleep if they eat late, but if those don't apply to you, the time doesn't make a big difference.
  • laureneva15
    Options
    the problem about eating so close to going to bed is that sleep is your body's "rest" mode
    if its trying to digest food, then it's not really resting so thats why some people will wake up sluggish in the morning cos their body hasn't gotten the proper rest it needed
    or on the flip side, the food will (kind of) stay there and sit and that can disturb your sleep
    I'm not sure about the myth that you'll gain weight or not by doing it, but I know eating an hour or two before bed is not recommended by most GPs

but to be sure I'll ask my lecturer next week when we have class because we've only just started doing Gastrointestinal/Metabolism in anatomy and physiology.
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's fine to eat later in the evening. I do it all the time ... my favorite thing to post on these threads:

The body is a 24/7 shop. It doesn't look at your supper and then a clock on the wall: "OMG!!! It's 8:31!! Send that food straight to the thighs!"

JenScan hit the nail right on the head! Your body is a 24/7 machine! As long as you're eating healthy the "when" you eat doesn't matter. Say you eat dinner at 6 PM. You don't snack and go to bed. You get up at say 7 or 8 AM and maybe eat within the first hour that you're awake. You have starved your body for 13-15 hours! Not to sound fanatical but that's insane! Your body does indeed "rest" while sleeping. But your body also repairs itself from all of the stress and exercise from the day before. It can not do this without nutrients! If you're fairly active to very active not only SHOULD you eat a small meal before bed but you should eat as soon as you wake up as well! We consider it unhealthy for many reasons to skip meals. Would you eat breakfast and then not eat for 13-15 hours? Ahhh, no!
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options

Hahaha, crack up!
  • MiaMcBetty
    Options
    Thank you all!

I think because I'm sticking to my calorie goal it's not really a problem for me. I also try and incorporate protein into every meal (usually) and I never have a problem sleeping afterwards or any issues with reflux...

Great advice everyone, thanks again!
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry to rant. I have met professional athletes that set their alarm to wake in the middle of the night so that they could eat! Of course they are pros competing in their respective sports at high levels. However, the need to feed is not based off of the position of the sun or moon.
  • change_happens
    Options
    THere are a lot of opinions out there on this topic. Some say don't eat two hours before bed because your metabolism slows down. Others say it is good not to eat before you go to bed, if you are hungry let your body draw from its fat stores. So, I don't know, I have done it all and haven't seen any difference. I just eat when I am hungry. Since I am a night owl and don't go to bed around 1 or 2, so that would make my last meal around 5 or 6. SO.... i eat.... only a light snack :) I promise! ;)
  • LilClementine
    Options
    I eat dinner every night round 9pm! I'm just used to it..and I've managed to lose weight fine. I do go to bed pretty late at the moment so eating late means I don't get too hungry later. I usually have some sort of meat (usually chicken) with a vegetable side..so not too heavy. But as already said..as long as you leave some time to digest your meal before heading straight to bed and lying down then it's ok :)
  • WendyHJ
    WendyHJ Posts: 60
    Options
    @change_happens. A bed time of 2 am and waking up at 10 am is what I discussed with my doctor. Meals were set at 11, 2, 5, 7, and the final mini meal at 9 pm. If you keep similar hours, last meal at 6 then not eating until the time I am scheduled for would be bad for my blood sugar. The focus is on jump starting the metabolism and balancing the blood sugar, doctors orders!!