Pull-up bar with non-foam rubber hand grips

Options
I have a pull-up bar similar to the on in the attached picture (http://www.prosourcefit.com/products/multi-grip-pull-up-bar). The hand grips are neoprene-ish foam. They break down very easily, and very quickly become tattered.

Would anyone know of an upscale version with solid rubber grips? I'm not looking for just any pullup bar. I like the multiple grips on the above pull-up bar, and the fact that some of the grips are offset from the plane of the door frame.
zpj3cqatixji.jpg

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have the same one. I replaced my pads with the grippy shelf liner stuff from dollar tree and secured it with athletic tape.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    You may be able to use replacement bicycle or motorcycle grips to repair your pullup bar.

You just need to measure the OD of your bars and the ID of the grips you like to see if they match.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Maybe tennis racket grip tape, or bike handlebar grip tape?
    Both come in loads of awesome colours, if you're so inclined ;)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I have the same one. I replaced my pads with the grippy shelf liner stuff from dollar tree and secured it with athletic tape.

Alternately you could carve up a yoga mat with the same technique.
  • AlwaysKeepFit
    AlwaysKeepFit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    @Heather4448: Would you happen to recall the brand name and product name of the grippy shelf liner stuff? Also, could I trouble you to post a photograph of your handy work?

@sgt1372: I was looking at a site that sold these tubular grips, but I wasn't relishing the idea of threading the grips onto the curvy tubes after disassembling the whole thing. It's also a matter of time, and that's time spent on a gamble (time also spent sourcing and ordering the tubes). I haven't yet ruled that out, but man, if there was an upgraded version of the pull-up bar with good grips, I chuck the current one in a heartbeat.

@cs2thecox: Yes I did think about racquet tape, but I didn't pursue it right away because I find that, with all the body weight on my delicate little fingers, anything but a smooth surface is distractingly uncomfortable (sometimes, my fingers go numb).

@stanmann571: Yes, that's my 1st fallback plan. Just cut a patch of think foamy mat, and rather than trying to wrap it around the tube with tape, just have it in my hand as I grab the tube. It's what people use to do in gyms decades back. Seemed to work OK, but that was a long time ago. If I end up doing this, I'll find out whether I still find them acceptable today. Not as elegant as a pull-up bar with proper grips.

I can't understand why someone hasn't filled this void in the market. I mean, who wants a pull-up bar that starts to tatter up right away? And I'm relatively light. Normal or heavier people will likell run the grips ragged sooner.
  • Heather4448
    Options
    qo24woslspf5.jpeg

It ain’t pretty, but it works ;)
    There’s no brand name to give you, lol! It’s literally a roll of shelf liner from the dollar store.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options

@sgt1372: I was looking at a site that sold these tubular grips, but I wasn't relishing the idea of threading the grips onto the curvy tubes after disassembling the whole thing. It's also a matter of time, and that's time spent on a gamble (time also spent sourcing and ordering the tubes). I haven't yet ruled that out, but man, if there was an upgraded version of the pull-up bar with good grips, I chuck the current one in a heartbeat.

I was just thinking of using the grips on the bar ends; not to replace all those grips located inside the middle bar. Baseball bat, tennis racket or race bike wrapping tape would be better for those.

BTW, the trick to getting straight motorcycle and bike grips on is to use liquid soap to lube the bar and inside of the grip. When it fries, the grip won't go anywhere w/o cutting it off.
  • AlwaysKeepFit
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Heather4448: Oh, I see what you mean by shelf liner. I thought you meant the think stick-on sheets, but this spongy stuff is better. Did you remove the original grip? (Was there any original grip at the spot where you put shelf liner?)

And just to be sure, do you actually grab the taped shelf liner part, or is that just to protect the door frame? When you have your full weight on the bar, you don't find the variable profile and hardness across the grip surface to be problematic?

Thanks for posting the picture.

@sgt1372: OK. Thanks. I will consider the possibility of pre-made tubes for the outer handles. I would be a bit worried about how to get rid of the soap. Sweaty hands and all.

Another option might be to cut an incision along the length of the tube in order to open it up and put it on the bar without disassembling the bar and threading the tube over the windy pipes. I could use some sort of glue to glue the tube onto the piping. There will always be a seam where the cut was, and maybe even an opening. However, if it is facing downward, that part of the handle won't bear much weight. Not ideal, but worth at least mulling.
  • Heather4448
    Options
    I have it on the grip handles, too. It doesn’t have any effect on my grip.
    Yes, I removed the original material. I bought this second hand, so it was in tatters.
  • AlwaysKeepFit
    Options
    @Heather4448: Hmmmm. OK. Thanks again for sharing your solution.