Let's talk Christmas Presents

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
Always looking for good gift ideas and with christmas coming up I'm sure we could all use some. What are the best gifts you've gotten, given, or even any great ideas for thoughtful, useful or fun gifts this year.

For people who love to travel you can make a or buy a Travelers map where you can pin or scratch off where in the world you've been. (I made one for my husband for Valentine's Day)

I made a very simple snow yeti stuffed animal for my niece, it was very easy and she loved it.(got the idea and instruction on pinterest)

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think homemade gifts can be really nice. My mom surprised me with a quilt she made for me about a year before she died. It is obvious that she picked out fabric to match my interests and put a lot of love into it. I don't think you can get better than that for a gift.

My family always got a new board game every year for a family gift.

Gifts for kids- candy in a cup or mug, art supplies, books, sock creatures, cooking kit, science kit
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I hope someone gets me cash and a lot of it.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Christmas isn't what it used to be, everyone is so concerned about gifts that they forget what the true meaning of Christmas is.

Fruitcake?

• selfranks
    selfranks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My fiancé is a true manly man so he’s hard to buy for but I just managed to figure out he loves a couples massage with me. 2 birds one stone! A massage for me and for him at our favourite intimate place in blue mountain Ontario. With hot spring waters and cold baths, it’s amazing beautiful and romanctic, oh and the best part RELAXING.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    When I was first married and very broke, I got my now ex-husband one magazine that was all about pro basketball and all the teams, and one that was all about college basketball. He always said that was the best present he ever got. Who knew it could be so easy?
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I'm to the point that if I want something I'll buy it myself and there really isn't anything significant that I want at the moment. I basically just want to make it through the year....I don't think I can buy that.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    i went looking for christmas presents for my sister, ended up buying 200 googley eye stickers of varying sizes.
    giphy.gif

I got a little side tracked
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what I want, if I see something I usually just buy it for myself.

I also have no idea what to buy everyone else. Each year it seems like I rack my brain only to think I found 'the gift' but then their excitement seems rather 'Ho Hum'. So that sucks. I'd like to just give money but I figure that comes across like I must think so little of them that I could not be bothered to buy something 'heartfelt'.

I'd rather just skip Thanksgiving through New Year's honestly. It shouldn't feel like such work each year. But somehow it always does.

Signed,
    Debbie Downer
  • Grimmerick
    edited November 2017
    Options
    My best gifts is being able to be with all my family under one roof. Christmas isn't what it used to be, everyone is so concerned about gifts that they forget what the true meaning of Christmas is.

The adults(aunts, uncles, cousins) in my family don't give gifts to each other we pick a person in need to donate too every year (one year was a single mom my aunt knew whose house had burned down), then we have a white elephant gift exchange for fun. The children of course get presents(usually something small), and of course I give a gift to my immediate family mom, dad, brother, husband etc. I also try to make their gifts every year. Christmas can have gifts and still have meaning, I mean we certainly have both in my family. Maybe it will bring more meaning to your family if you guys make each others gifts or you can just do away with gifts completely, but then I think it would just be like every other family get together throughout the year which if you're family is close then you probably have a lot of. Christmas is the only one with gifts and I think once a year that's not unreasonable.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    MrSith wrote: »
    I'm to the point that if I want something I'll buy it myself and there really isn't anything significant that I want at the moment. I basically just want to make it through the year....I don't think I can buy that.

This^^^ is why my father is so friggin hard to buy for :D
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    My best gifts is being able to be with all my family under one roof. Christmas isn't what it used to be, everyone is so concerned about gifts that they forget what the true meaning of Christmas is.

Why can't I "woo", "like" and "awesome" this post all at the same time?
  • Grimmerick
    edited November 2017
    Options
    81Katz wrote: »
    I really don't know what I want, if I see something I usually just buy it for myself.

I also have no idea what to buy everyone else. Each year it seems like I rack my brain only to think I found 'the gift' but then their excitement seems rather 'Ho Hum'. So that sucks. I'd like to just give money but I figure that comes across like I must think so little of them that I could not be bothered to buy something 'heartfelt'.

I'd rather just skip Thanksgiving through New Year's honestly. It shouldn't feel like such work each year. But somehow it always does.

Signed,
    Debbie Downer

Yea I definitly feel ya there, for a long time I felt like I was always getting people the same things every year, that's when I started making or baking my gifts, it's at least been interesting and pretty successful. I think people just don't give themselves enough time and have to scramble which makes it unpleasant.

btw totally got the zoom in close up of Debbie Downer from SNL in my head when I saw that. So funny.
  • kelsiestoner
    kelsiestoner Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I make candles every year for everyone in my family, it's cheap and who doesn't love a nice candle? My family is too big to buy everyone a big gift, and nowadays when people want something they buy it online pretty much immediately.