Running NSV

Options
I was the girl who couldn't run for even a minute or two last year. Then June 2nd 2010 I decided I wanted to be a runner. I started out at pushing one mile out for a couple weeks and before I knew it I was up to 4 miles a day at 6.0! I was loving it and it helped me shed 27 pounds! Well, Winter hit and I stopped running and watching what I ate (I know that is no excuse) and I gained all my weight back eating out with friends and you know the holidays.

For months I tried to get back on track and couldn't do it (still struggling with that). In February I tried to start running again (I did not take it slow and work myself back up to 4 miles I just ran the 4 miles) and jacked my right knee up. Everytime I tried to run I was in so much pain even after only a few minutes. So, again I gave up.

I have missed running so much and everyday wish I could just jump back on the treadmill and push those 4 miles out. I have refrained from trying, that is, until today. I decided to go slow...and wear a knee brace (just in case) and I ran 1 mile at 6.0! I felt so alive and wanted to run forever! Instead I decided to stop at 1 mile and let myself work back up to my previous 4 miles.

I plan to get one mile in each day and after a couple weeks add a 1/4 mile until that becomes easy and then another 1/4 miles and so on.

So happy that I gave it another try and was able to achieve it!

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It's easy to overdo it at the beginning, even the re-start of the process. Glad you learned not to push too far too fast!!! You'll get back there, most likely faster than you did the first time!!!

I love being a runner, and I never ran a single mile until I was 38 years old!!!! Now I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon, who knew I could do that???? I feel like I can conquer the world while I run... it's amazing!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    aww girl, go for you
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yay! Good for you for getting back at it slowly and carefully. :flowerforyou:
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Good for you doing what you like in a reasonable way!
    I do have a question, though. What does NSV stand for?
  • keepkickingbutt
    keepkickingbutt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! You've given me inspiration to "get back on track" if you'll pardon the pun. ;)

NSV = Non-Scale Victory, i.e. one which doesn't have anything to do with the bathroom scales. Often the best kind, in my book! (Get ready jeans... here I come)
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    way to go!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    It's easy to overdo it at the beginning, even the re-start of the process. Glad you learned not to push too far too fast!!! You'll get back there, most likely faster than you did the first time!!!

I love being a runner, and I never ran a single mile until I was 38 years old!!!! Now I'm training for my first 1/2 marathon, who knew I could do that???? I feel like I can conquer the world while I run... it's amazing!

Thanks and way to go on your progress!
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Just make sure to take you're time, a knee injury is nothing to mess around with and can reoccur easily.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!