Thanksgiving!!

Options
Oh shoot! I just remembered thanksgiving is soon... I think for that day, I don’t want to care about my calorie limit and none of that. Is that bad? Lol

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Normal people don't stress about holidays since they are few and far between. If you can't relax and let go once in a while you're sucking the fun out of life. Lol
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nope cause there are 365 days in a year. I bet you will find that you do not eat as much as you think you will. Your body gets use to the change and you will probably feel fuller sooner.
  • Meganooxoo
    Meganooxoo Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    All of this is true, but then there’s left overs, then Christmas. I never understood when people said they gained more in the holiday season, because I never tried to lose or cared. Now I totally understand haha. It is just one day. I didn’t mean bad as in, I’m going overboard. I meant is it bad in a sarcastic kinda way. :p
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    If those people are eating themselves stupid to a point where they are gaining that much weight.. I probably wouldn't even use them as a comparison
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Yummy, yum! I plan on eating my way into a semi-coma. If I can remember my own name at the end of it all then it just wasn't Thanksgiving.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am doing low starch for a medical reason right now to see if that helps me. That limits my choices substantially. Turkey, cranberry sauce and not much else traditional. I will probably roast diced rutabaga with olive oil and spices. I am definitely making some baked apples with a large cavity stuffed with chopped pecans, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. So I may still spike the calories.
  • MrSith
    MrSith Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    My sister is cooking so I don't have to worry about eating.............that much LOL. I don't trust her cooking so I'll be good.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thanksgiving is largely about making low cal foods high cal (at least that describes my family's traditional dishes), but in that I've been doing this for a while now it's not hard to make many Thanksgiving dishes that are quite reasonable calories, and turkey is not high cal. I usually make a garlic mashed potatoes with just a bit of milk and let everyone add butter to taste (I make a gravy too, but I don't care much about gravy so usually pawn off the making of it to someone else). My sister last year did a cauliflower potato mix that she's really into and prefers. Then I roast sweet potatoes (the only way I like them) and don't add anything but olive oil and salt. If someone wants candied yams, they can bring them (IME, no one really likes these, most prefer the plainer sweet potatoes). I have a green bean dish with dill and almonds and mushrooms that I prefer to a green bean casserole, and will usually do brussels with bacon, but it's easy enough to do them pretty plain and roasted too. Salad is easy. I'm picky about cranberry sauce and will usually make one with fresh cranberries and some other fruit to add sweetness. Someone else will bring their favorite stuffing (I used to spend tons of time on stuffing and then just delegated it, because I don't even care about stuffing). Our other always dish is a broccoli and cauliflower thing with cheese that my mother used to make and my sister now does, but although high cal it's vegetable based (and the way we make it, it would be fine for someone low carbing, although I don't think any of the crowd currently is).

Then there's dessert, but you can go easy on these.

And, no, I never log Thanksgiving.

The reason I think the holiday season can be challenging isn't the holiday meals, but the many, many extra treats available and parties and cookie exchanges and so on between Thanksgiving and New Years (and my birthday is in there too, although at this age, who cares). ;-) Plus perhaps an attitude of "it's the holidays, I have to eat this or I am missing out" which I used to have somewhat.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I am doing low starch for a medical reason right now to see if that helps me. That limits my choices substantially. Turkey, cranberry sauce and not much else traditional. I will probably roast diced rutabaga with olive oil and spices. I am definitely making some baked apples with a large cavity stuffed with chopped pecans, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. So I may still spike the calories.

YUM!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Nope...I am keeping my eyes open and keeping it in perspective. My mind and goals are in a good place with my success that holiday food will not derail me. I will enjoy but with a perspective!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    It is one day, and it is manageable.
    Enjoy it, log it, and continue on.
    One day ( or several if you count the Christmas & New Year's holidays) will not make a big difference.
    Just don't let it become a daily habit and you will be fine.
    Holidays & special occasions occur. Learning self control and how to manage your daily eating habits will go a long way towards successfully maintaining a healthy weight for life.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It is possible to eat "holiday food" in moderation. We are not required to eat until we are stuffed to the gills. By all means, do it if you want to, but you have no social or legal obligation to do so. Same goes for leftovers after Thanksgiving, etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    It’s not bad. Everyone has a different aim for the day. Some stick to their deficit, some bank calories in the days leading up to it, some eat up to their maintenance calories, and some go all out. The key is to get back to what you were doing on Friday, or Monday if you’re enjoying the entire weekend.
  • quiltngrandma45
    quiltngrandma45 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I agree with you all one way or another. It is what we make it so eat smaller portions and choose to be happy and enjoy being with the family. Have a great Thanksgiving. :)
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm already thinking a lot about Thanksgiving- I'm new to weight loss and exercise and don't want to see the small progress I've made disappear. There will be several meals in the next week that will be a challenge for me, as we are driving to my husband's family, stopping at exciting restaurants (Korean, Polish) along the way to celebrate my husband's birthday. I'll pay attention to portion control as much as I can, but no way am I missing out on these foods.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

YUM!

One of the recipes I have calls it "pecan pie baked apples". You use a paring knife to remove the core in a funnel shape that doesn't go all the way through. Stuff it, bake it just enough so that it only softens a little, cool and slice in half and the halves look like small pieces of pecan pie are in the middle.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    EVERY DAY is Thanksgiving to and for me (just some days (the so-called "holidays") on a larger scale than others), BUT, I'm purposefully counting every single solitary day as thanksgiving, period. On this "thanksgiving" I'll eat just as I do everyday, whatever I want...just smaller portions of it. I'll log calories and if it's under my daily goal, I'll be thankful and if it's over my daily cal count...I'll still be EQUALLY thankful. Being thankful and grateful and "celebrating" life, family, friends and everything in between is so much FUN--I dare not/no longer am a "slave" to my appetite, traditions, to nothing at all. No longer will I ALLOW myself to be limited to being thankful and eating, drinking and making merry to just 1 day a year. Nope, instead I'll count it all joy that it's a day off and eat like I'm on a mission (to be slimmer and healthier) and be thankful and grateful (on Thanksgiving and EVERYDAY) that I get to see & live another day on this earth--just like I do now, everyday.

Thanksgiving...YAY--bring it! Again, I'm so looking forward to the day off minus ANY fuss/muss/stress and woe(of eating, drinking whatever)--those days are forever GONE and I "Thank" God they are--Boom! <3o:)<3
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I already told my mom that I'm sticking to turkey and green beans for the meal. And I'll be weighing everything before I eat it.