weird noises from my joints

Options
Sometimes, when I do certain moves, my joints make noise and click. It doesn't hurt, but it does feel kind of weird.

Does this mean I have bad form? Is it anything to worry about? Or, can I just work through it?

Replies

• Derameth
    Derameth Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when I do certain moves, my joints make noise and click. It doesn't hurt, but it does feel kind of weird.

Does this mean I have bad form? Is it anything to worry about? Or, can I just work through it?

Well that certainly depends on many things. Your age, any pre-exisiting conditions, my daughter is 27 and her knees sorta crackle when she does her lunges but she is a Personal Trainer so I know she is doing it correctly, just how it is. It also depends on the exercise you are doing. Shoulder joints can make some noise but really shouldn't when lifting, and ankles will crack sometimes. If it feels too weird, ask someone to see if you are doing the exercise properly (also google it under images and maybe a video will pop up) or see a Doctor. I know my knees were bad from 1. Playing softball in college (I was a catcher) and being 100+ lbs overweight for too many years....
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessarily because of poor form.. likely just things aligning themselves. Usually it goes away as you get stronger.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I click and clack like I'm playing the castanets! I've always attributed it to be loose-jointed. I used to have problems with various body parts popping out of joint, but that doesn't happen now that I'm more fit and have strengthened my muscles.

Now the only part that's still a problem is my jaw. Damn TMJ. :grumble:
  • jolieblossom
    Options
    When I do the standing row my shoulder makes clicking sounds, I think its just because I'm building up strength, but I don't knowvfor sure.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Frequently what you are describing is tendons shifting. This typically happens when the surrounding muscle groups are not balanced in strength (e.g. front anterior deltoid stronger than posterior deltoid). I noticed this in my knees, ankles, hips, and shoulders when I first started exercising a year ago and was prone to tendonitis in my shoulder and knee. In time as the muscle groups became more balanced it diminished.
  • widgeteye
    Options
    Here's what the doctor told me;
    "Simply put, you are 62 years old and have been sitting on your can for the last 30 years. Your muscles have no tone to them which has loosened up your tendons which causes the bones to be loose. Some times they will just pop because they are not lining up properly when you move. Get off your can and get some exercise and those muscles will tone up and start pulling the tendons tighter and no more popping." As you can see we talk straight with one another. :)

In the last ten years I have had two rotator cuff repairs as well as had both bicep muscles reattached because I moved like a 20 year old and ripped things out of place. Exercising over the past 30 years would have prevented that. So be careful with your work outs until you get muscles strengthened up or you could damage what you have left.

Good luck
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm only 29, so I doubt it has much to do with my age, but I certainly have been out of shape my entire life.

The exercise I was doing today that was making the noise was one of my warm up exercises. Basically, I was laying on the ground and kicking one leg up at a time, as straight as possible. My right hip popped almost every single time.

I will keep up with the exercising, but I'll also try to make sure I don't overdo it.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Oh my leg/hip joint does that...and as I get into shape, they still do that. I wouldnt worry about it unless it hurts or pinches something