Apple Watch Calories

Hi- does anybody use their Apple Watch calories, and if so how is that working for you?

My Apple Watch says I burn about 2600 calories a day. I have my calories set at 1650 as recommended by MFP, but wondering if I need to up my calorie intake based on my Apple Watch numbers.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.

thanks !

Replies

• davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    It's all estimates. Do you feel like you can stick to the 1650 to achieve your goals?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Mine actually underestimates my calories burned/resting calories by about 20 percent. (Based on lab-tested RMR results.)

What are you doing that you're burning 2600 a day?

• Aarjono
    Aarjono Posts: 228 Member
    I think my apple watch calories are about right, compared to what my BMR and TDEE calculations and my average weight loss is.
  • AbbyPort89
    AbbyPort89 Posts: 28 Member
    I'm curious about this as well. I am only about two and half weeks into using my apple watch to calculate calories out and not sure if it's accurate or not. Under-estimating is fine.

But, does anyone feel like it over-estimates? (Says you've burned more then you actually did?)
  • BailTuck
    BailTuck Posts: 25 Member
    I work out about an hour to and hour and half most days. It only says I burn about 600 on a really good day.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    Most posts I've seen to date about apple watches and their integration with MFP seem to end up with an under-estimation of calories. Either because the watch systematically under-estimates, or because integration between the watch, apple health, and MFP is not working right.

Neither under or over-estimation is good. But either can be evaluated against your own weight trend results over time and compensated for IF IT IS CONSISTENT.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    It really depends on what you're doing, in terms of accuracy, and in the end it's all an estimate. AW calculates both "active" and daily-living calories (that's how that 2600 figure was derived). For normal activities through the day, it seems to be fairly accurate (given my data over 90 days). I think it over-estimates weight training calories since it bases calories from HR - I just started back on lifting routine so I don't have that data yet, and when I was lifting before, I wasn't really keeping track of CICO.