New Runners

Options
Would love to find others who have just started running to compare notes and encourage each other!

Replies

• dreanance
    dreanance Posts: 246
    Options
    I started c25k in April. I've run in 2 5ks now and have a 10k on the 20th of the month. I'm addicted :)
  • Synnoveg
    Synnoveg Posts: 10
    Options
    I have been a runner/triathlete for about 4 years now since I stopped swimming competitively. I can try and give you any advice and pointers you may want!
  • tawnya1981
    Options
    I thought about trying c25k because I just started running... Glad to hear you liked it!
  • janiecorona
    Options
    My goal is to run a 5k! I just started running last week. I can't run outside cause my daughter is a baby and I don't have a babysitter, so I've been jogging in place. I'll get there, I know it. (:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Been running for less than a year, C25K last fall and first 5K last December.
  • _Sonia_
    _Sonia_ Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm plugging away at C25K... currently in week 2. I'm taking it slow, repeating days when I don't feel up to jumping ahead. So far, so good, but I still don't think I'll ever really *like* running! I will persevere, though. :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Yes! :)
  • SunshineKisses_2012
    SunshineKisses_2012 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I just started running....yesterday. Made it a whole 0.15 of a mile before I gave in. Today I managed 0.40 before I wanted to vomit! I have a long way to go, but I'm going to stick in there. Not that it feels good while I'm doing it, but I love the way I feel afterwards (plus, I had a really REALLY bad day at work today and my first thought was, "can't wait to get on the treadmill!" Seriously, someone call a doctor.)
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you would call what I do running... humm... Its more of a faster hobbel with a bit of a jog that turns into a sorry excuse for a walk... and then I try one more time!
  • audradanielle
    Options
    Beware-it gets addicting! Then you get bored with running and start doing triathlons : )
  • Jsnbabb1
    Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Ive been using an app called couch to 5k. and it tells me when to walk/jog at the beginning then at the end of like 12 weeks you can run no problem....im on week 3
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    For some reason I cant stand C25k I think its because i cant stand programs because I get bored after awhile lol.....I ran 1.25 miles today and only stopped two times for less than 15 seconds each....

But my question is since I am training for my first 5k should I work up to a 5k with no incline and then do it after I can run a 5k or do an incline while working up to a 5k ( I run on the treadmill) Im not sure if its best to be able to be "fit" to be able to run a 5k with no incline first then add it in or struggle for much of it and then add the incline to begin with

thanks
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've been running since mid-June and am scheduled for my first 5K in 3 weeks. I'll send you a friend request.
  • BethlovesRene
    BethlovesRene Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 5 weeksk now. Gotten up to about 5 miles for my long runs, but I do interval training (run 3 mins/walk 1)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I started running again in June after a 10+ year break. I ran a 5k on the 4th of July and I'm planning to do another in October. I usually go running at least three times a week and up to five times a week if possible. I'm definitely hooked on it again.
  • e1izab3th2
    e1izab3th2 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I just starting training for a half marathon last week! I have 12 weeks to train! I have done a 5k before but I mostly walked, so this is a big jump!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Hey Welcome to Running! Feel free to ask me any questions. I actually coach 10 K running clinics now and started out probably much like everyone else did a few years back.

Glad to help if you want or need advice!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I guarantee that finishing your first 5k will bring on some damned strong emotions. Last 1/4 for me was a messy blur :)

Your turn.
  • HeidiSBond
    HeidiSBond Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have one more C25K workout to do before I GRADUATE!!!!!
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    My goal is to run a 5k! I just started running last week. I can't run outside cause my daughter is a baby and I don't have a babysitter, so I've been jogging in place. I'll get there, I know it. (:

1) Brilliant way to work around the excuse-I know a lot of people who would just say "I can't". You didn't-you found a way to do it anyway. Your daughter is going to have a great role model growing up.

2) If you do want to run outside check garage sales or on craigslist, etc-you might be able to pick up a jogging stroller on the cheap so when your daughter's old enough to ride in it she can come with you.

For me, I just downloaded some C25K podcasts and I'm going to start them next week after Jillian finishes with me. Part of me can't believe I'm doing that. I've never been a fan of running but it's starting to appeal to me now.