My C25K boast (and a question)

Options
Spiderpug
Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
edited November 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
6 weeks ago I could barely manage 1 min and today I ran for 25 mins, albeit slowly (avg 13-14min/mile), have surprised myself :) !

My question is about my new trainers - they feel quite awkward to run in as I use my walking trainers currently which are old, have holes in them but are comfy.
The new ones feel more supportive but I want them to mold to my funny foot shape quickly so will everyday walking around in them be ok or should I only be using them for running?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I don't see any harm in wearing them for a few days but I would then keep them just for running.

I use them for 400 miles then they become my every day trainers.

Congratulations on your run :)
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Spiderpug wrote: »
    6 weeks ago I could barely manage 1 min and today I ran for 25 mins

Way to go pug!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    6 weeks ago I could barely manage 1 min and today I ran for 25 mins, albeit slowly (avg 13-14min/mile), have surprised myself :) !

My question is about my new trainers - they feel quite awkward to run in as I use my walking trainers currently which are old, have holes in them but are comfy.
    The new ones feel more supportive but I want them to mold to my funny foot shape quickly so will everyday walking around in them be ok or should I only be using them for running?

Did you get them fitted to you at a running shop?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Great work on C25K!!
  • emmieems
    emmieems Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I’m at the same place as you, just ran my 25 minute one as well! The shoes take a minute to get used to but they make all the difference
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    I'd say stick with the new shoes. Wear them a bit around the house to get used to them, but I'd stop wearing your old shoes. They may be comfy but if they have holes then I suspect they lack support and that may catch up to you causing an injury and derail your progress. You don't want that to happen after what you've already accomplished!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Running shoes shouldn't "mould". Personally in wouldn't walk in them, but dedicate them to running.
  • Spiderpug
    Spiderpug Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Two half days of house wearing and they feel more 'me', going running tomorrow morning.
    Old ones relegated to garden shoes.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Two half days of house wearing and they feel more 'me', going running tomorrow morning.
    Old ones relegated to garden shoes.

Where did you get the shoes? Are they correct for your gait? Wearing the wrong type of shoe can cause injury issues down the road (even if they are "more supportive").