Giving up even before I'm getting started

Options
I've been on this app for a while now. Yet I'm never consistent. I feel like I have SO much to lose, what's the point?

What keeps you motivated and accountable?!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For motivation: I figured out I have to eat anyway, and days and years come and go anyway, so why not just eat enough of all the foods I like every day, but not too much of anything over time?

For accountability: I also weigh myself every day.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    If you find a way to lose weight that's both sustainable and enjoyable(or at the very least tolerable), then it doesn't really matter how much you have to lose.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    If you don't start now it can only get worse with health issues to follow!
    Don't you want to look and feel better? Wear cute clothes and not just what you can find that fits in black? Aren't you sick of yourself???
    That alone should be enough to move you in a positive direction!
  • kmv1431
    kmv1431 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Why don't you decide to do it for 3 months (eat healthy food in reasonable portions and log it)? If you do that the results (looking and feeling better) will motivate you to keep going. Seeing the fat going away and the muscles getting stronger is pretty gratifying.
  • weighmeless
    weighmeless Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Don't set too high of a goal at a time. It's overwhelming when we have too many things on mind. But when we calm down and take one errand at a time, its not only easy and fast but also satisfying.
    Its the same with weight. Set your goal to 1 pound a week or 2 if need be.. that helps. When you gain momentum, you can pick up, how fast you want to be because by then, you would have tasted the success :)
    Last but not the least don't consider it as a chore. Nobody likes routine :)
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    There is nothing anyone can say or do that will make any difference. It might sound very harsh but ultimately the only person the can help myself is ME. You have to be able to say you are doing this for yourself. Trust me I have been a very on again off again person.

The times I am successful is when I do stay consistent with documenting all my foods. I love MFP cause it has a much larger data base of foods. I started once again to gain weight and was at about 225lbs and I said enough is enough. I have only missed a couple days of logging my foods and I log everything good or bad. Been going to the gym almost everyday and with my fitbit ionic I make a goal of burning 1000 calories when I do go. This has worked for me and I am closing in on 210lbs and would love to see 200lbs by New Years.

You need to do this for you and you can. LOVE YOURSELF
  • EloiseBean
    EloiseBean Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i'm going to bet that you're being too strict with what you eat. you also want to lose all that weight in a certain time frame. that's why you give up.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    As YOU said it is all up to you!

NUFF SAID...No sense continuing!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I've been on this app for a while now. Yet I'm never consistent. I feel like I have SO much to lose, what's the point? What keeps you motivated and accountable?!

I get it. In the beginning I had over a hundred pounds to lose. It was overwhelming! However I lost about 18 pounds and maintained for a few years then I got serious. Eventually I lost another 85. I still would like to drop about 10. What I did was I set smaller goals. My all time high weight (before I stopped weighing) was 251. I dropped to 233 then set a goal of under 200. Next was the 170's then 165 where I thought I might stay if I was happy with it. Then the 140's. You get the idea. Each level I could see a huge change.

Break it up and take small steps. You don't go from 250 pounds to 145 pounds in one step. Every ten pounds or so I bought a few new clothes. At the start I went to consignment stores to keep the cost down. Reward yourself for staying on track and find things you like to do for exercise. I just walk daily. I hated the gym. This is a lifestyle change not a diet that you do then go back to old habits. Hang in there, you can do it.

• yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. So does falling down a flight of stairs.

Its not easy to start with, but you have to start to go anywhere. Once you decide what it is you really want (easy and heavy or harder but leaner) you can take your journey. Once on the path, you may find that it gets easier and becomes a habit that takes you to where you want to be.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    I've been on this app for a while now. Yet I'm never consistent. I feel like I have SO much to lose, what's the point?

I had to get to a point of hating my own opinion of myself. From there it became easier.

Have other goals not just weight loss but goals that will help you lose weight while training - Run a 5k maybe?
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    imacamper wrote: »
    A journey of a thousand miles still starts with one step.... What helps me is to not focus on the big picture. It's much easier to lose 5 lbs ten times than it is to lose 50lbs. Focus on smaller goals and simple changes such as maybe eliminating sugared drinks or having one less slice of pizza than you normally do. Small changes over time add up to big changes.

This right here is fantastic advice!!
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

There is no point if you don't follow through.

You motivate yourself. Nobody cares if you do or don't. They have themselves to take care of.

Time to grow up.

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone, thanks!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Commit to doing this, be consistent for at least 4 weeks and then see your motivation hopefully increased. When you see what you can achieve when you put your mind to it that should spur you on to keep going :smile:

If you never start, you'll never know what you can achieve.

All the best.
  • CynthiaByrne
    CynthiaByrne Posts: 344 Member
    Options

Good Morning Valerie....I have felt the same way for many years. I keep gaining and losing the same 10-15 pounds over & over again....so "what's the point?"
    Well, the point is....If we give up, then that 10-15 pounds will turn into 25-30....then 40-50. We can never give up! So, what keeps me motivated? First of all, don't look at the BIG picture. Try for 5 pounds. I recently joined a group called "Just Give Me 10 Days"....right here on MyFitnessPal. The object is...you post your weight everyday for 10 days and hope you lose weight! Easy Peasy.

It keeps you accountable, because you really don't want anyone to know you are gaining! Yes, we even post the days we gain, but then it's back on track and you get to post the loss on the next day! It's fun / It's easy and you're already on here logging in your food anyway.... This round ends tomorrow, so the next one will start on Sunday Nov 19. Check it out and see if it's something you'd like to try.