Trying not to drink my calories...

Options
Due to my history of being almost intentionally self-sabotaging when on a calorie restrictive diet, I've decided to try something new this time: I've set a calorie goal for myself for reference, but rather than beating myself up for not meeting it, for the time being I'm starting with small changes.

One of those changes is intermittent fasting. It's not really a huge change, per se, since I don't usually eat breakfast anyway--it's more that I just have to eat earlier at night than I usually do. That's fine.

The other thing is that I'm trying to avoid drinking my calories. Now, this one is easier said than done. On weekdays I have an office job where caffeine is often the only thing that keeps me alive, and on weekends I'm a barista. At a cafe where the drinks are free for staff. O' the temptation!

So my question: besides just filling up on water, what are your tricks for avoiding mindlessly drinking your calorie allotment away? Mental tricks? Are there good, low-cal coffee options that you like? On the weekends I can basically make anything I want, so any suggestions you have would be helpful!

Replies

• marinagraber
    marinagraber Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I know a lady who swears by cinnamon in her coffe instead of cream. I didn't like it but you might. I have nontrouble drinking plain water usually, but occasionally when I am super hungry, I get out the fruit flavored tea, without sugar though.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I just set my mind to drinking black coffee, and after like 2 weeks, I liked it. I don't even like creamer now, and I prefer black to lattes and the like. You can learn to appreciate a good roast.

I used to be a barista for years so I know the temptation of drink mixtures. Misto (cafe au lait) is a good option for about half the calories of a latte. Sugar free syrups help too. I avoid cold coffee drinks because that's where I tend to want all the fixings, but my bf loves iced Americanos with minimal sugar.

I think the main thing that helps me is to appreciate the taste of the coffee instead of the flavorings.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I prefer cashew milk which is creamier than almond milk and 25 calories a cup. I make low cal drinks adding coffee, cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and stevia. I squirt a little whipped cream on top when I'm feeling decadent. For under 50 calories I get my fix.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Due to my history of being almost intentionally self-sabotaging when on a calorie restrictive diet, I've decided to try something new this time: I've set a calorie goal for myself for reference, but rather than beating myself up for not meeting it, for the time being I'm starting with small changes.

One of those changes is intermittent fasting. It's not really a huge change, per se, since I don't usually eat breakfast anyway--it's more that I just have to eat earlier at night than I usually do. That's fine.

The other thing is that I'm trying to avoid drinking my calories. Now, this one is easier said than done. On weekdays I have an office job where caffeine is often the only thing that keeps me alive, and on weekends I'm a barista. At a cafe where the drinks are free for staff. O' the temptation!

So my question: besides just filling up on water, what are your tricks for avoiding mindlessly drinking your calorie allotment away? Mental tricks? Are there good, low-cal coffee options that you like? On the weekends I can basically make anything I want, so any suggestions you have would be helpful!

taking in any calories during I.F is an immediate failed day. Hence why Terry Cruz states that even BCAA's have to wait til the window opens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW_99QcCTzE
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Lots of splenda and minimal creamer.
    Also- A tiny bit of creamer goes much further in tea then coffee.
    And Torino makes a large assortment of sugar-free flavor 'syrups'.
  • jenna_nicolo
    jenna_nicolo Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    ^ Same here. Splenda all the way. I either get an unsweetened ice coffee in the summer or an americano in the winter and I add a packet of Splenda. Sometimes when I'm at home I add almond milk but it's rare.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm a big tea drinker - I have an assortment of about 20 teas at my desk. Most teas I drink straight, but for some black teas, I add some liquid stevia sweetener (0 cals) and unsweetened vanilla cashew/almond milk (20 or fewer cals).

Otherwise I drink diet sodas, sparkling waters, Mio/Crystal Light.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I add protein powder, fat, and fiber to my coffee, which makes for a filling breakfast or afternoon snack:

e6dfd23c0571dc08afa607c9cd8e4698.png

(Protein powder may curdle if added to super hot coffee - I brew, and let it cool down a bit before adding the PP.)
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Espresso. Espresso is my diet drink B)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I usually drink water or unsweetened teas. There are a lot of tasty teas that don't need anything added.
    I would rather have more calories for food as it is more satisfying to me to get my calories that way.

The issue is what you add to the coffee. Go for a plain coffee or use lower calorie sweeteners or milk for your drink.
    Save calories for drinks that is less than 300 calories of your day maybe.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Another vote for black coffee - with good coffee, I got used to it very quickly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are there good, low-cal coffee options that you like?

Black coffee, black cold press/iced coffee, Americano or espresso.

And I drink coffee through the day (or tea). I should cut back on caffeine, but it's not an issue with calories.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Black coffee for life! When I was a tween I drank the milk-shake level lattes and slowly but surely lowered the amount of cream and sugar, then sugar became fake sugar, then nothing at all. I add a splash of cold water to my coffee, so it is slightly weaker than fresh brewed, also immediately drinkable.

Other non-caffeine options: zero calorie soda and zero calorie energy drinks. Yum.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think I have a new favorite coffee drink under 40 calories. I added a few grams of sugar-free butterscotch pudding to my usual cashew milk, instant coffee, & cocoa drink and it thickened and sweetened it plus gave it that butterscotch taste. I had to mix it with a whisk although next time I might use my bullet.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    learning how to like black coffee and unsweetened tea many years ago is something i'm very glad I did. it took a minute to get over the bitterness at first, but now I'm SO glad I am okay with these drinks in addition to water. give it a shot!
  • YOLO145
    YOLO145 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    double shot of espresso
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Caffeine tablets and drink hot water. Not kidding. Not even a little. Can't get any more low-cal than that.

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Just a splash of almond or cashew milk does it for me. I don't like sweet coffee so that's easy! Maybe just slowly dial it back...
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've been enjoying Tru orange mango and True lemon peach lemonade instead of a high cal drink. I also have switched to almondmilk in my cereal/baking because it has a lot of calcium, is lower cal, and I love the taste! I can't tell it's unsweetened when I bake and when I add it to cereal the cereal gives it sweetness. Win win!