Running Shoes

I just got into running and have been getting shin splints. I know I need new shoes... but I am unsure what to look for in a good shoe. Any suggestions? Will shoes help with the shin splints or should I be doing something else to correct that? Thanks!!

Replies

• Synnoveg
    Synnoveg Posts: 10
    New shoes should take care of your shin splints. Do you have a high arch or anything? I know for me personally a shoe with alot of heel support is really important. My best luck has been with Sauconeys. They are suuuuuper comfy.
  • lucyclementmiller
    lucyclementmiller Posts: 45 Member
    I have the Mizuno Wave Alchemy and they have been the only shoe I wear when training for my half marathons. I can always tell when its time to get new running shoes because i get shin splints as well. My suggestion would be to go to your local running store and have them figure out which one is best for you. The one i go to, they have you get on a treadmill with the shoe and they can tell if the shoe is good for you or not. To me, its worth the money to spend because shoes are veryyy important for running. Hope that helps!
  • New shoe have always helped me when I start getting shin splints. That is acutally how I know I need new ones. I also make sure I warm up good and rotate of my feet around and few times and stretch that part of my leg before and after I run. That seems to help also. Good luck. Shin splints really suck!
  • I didn't recommend a shoe because that will depend on your feet..Go to a running store that will look at your feet, make you do some running around, and and give you a suggestion.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Yes, shin splints can be caused by worn out shoes, as well as several other factors (too fast, too far, too much increase, hard services, poor form, and weak calves).
    The best recommendation is to go into a real "running store" and get professionally fitted. It doesn't cost any more than other sporting goods stores, except you'll walk away with the right shoe for YOU!
  • tmontgomery69
    tmontgomery69 Posts: 180 Member
    If you have a specialized running shoe store in town I would start there. They put you on a treadmill and watch your feet as you run to help determine what kind of support you need for your specific foot strike.

Here's the most common causes of shin splints.

Shin splints can be caused by a number of factors which are mainly biomechanical (abnormal movement patterns) and errors in training. Here are the most common causes:

Overpronation of the feet
    Oversupination of the feet
    Inadequate footwear
    Increasing training too quickly
    Running on hard surfaces
    Decreased flexibility at the ankle joint

Good luck. :)
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    i dont know much about shoes; but i love my adidas ones; they are suppper light weight (my flip flops weigh the same) and have all these vents in them so your feet dont get blisters from sweat, and they are snug, but fit very well (instead of a loose fit). I try not to wear them outside of excercise cuz since they r so light weight i dont want to wear out the soles too much in daily activity when i dotn need to.
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Ditto on going to a running store to be fitted properly. I just bought new walkers and new cross trainers. I thought I had one type of gait but was wrong. Love my new shoes.
  • Thanks for the advice everyone... Looks like I will visit the local running store and let them tell me what I need!!
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    I love my Asics nimbus. I got them at Academy.
  • lucky1304
    lucky1304 Posts: 57 Member
    Maybe someone said this already, but shin splits can also be caused by adding mileage too quickly--too much too soon. I definitely agree with everyone that said it's a good idea to go to a local running store and get fitted when starting out. I've been wearing the same type of shoes (Mizuno Wave Inspire) for the past four years (though the model has changed, obviously), so I buy online now to save money, but when I started out (and really, every other year I check in with the running store about shoe options), I got fitted. It makes a huge difference!

Other things to consider: It's best to get fitted for running shoes late in the day (something about being sure to get shoes that will still fit properly when/if your feet swell). Also, be sure to go in athletic socks so that you can be sure the fit works. You'll generally be put into a running shoe that is a half size (sometimes a full size, depending) up from what you usually wear. The clerk at the store should watch you walk barefoot and they should also watch you walk and run in each pair of shoes you try on.

HTH! :)